Changing standard seats to electric seats without using the memory function

Duck C7 allroad

Reaction score
I've not seen many guides online about this process (only on older models) so I thought I'd write one for the C7 models.

I have a 2015 A6 allroad with standard manual, heated leather seats with electric lumbar support and I upgraded to electric seats from a 2017 A6 allroad, however, I didn't install the memory function part as it was not needed. Subsequently, I've not needed to add any looms, door trim, coding or removal of component protection on VCDS. This guide is purely to switch the seats and take no responsibility for anything that might go awry on your part.

So here's my crappy flat, standard leather seats against the new, better looking, supportive electric ones...
PhotoGrid 1633444888407

As previously stated, I wasn't interested in the memory function, I just wanted bolstered seats without 'S-line' or' S4' embossed into the seats since I drive an allroad. The electric movement is a bonus.

So first thing is to remove the head rests, front and back. It'll give you more space when you lift stuff out. You can remove the front headrests by applying pressure about an inch below the steel struts of the headrest, on the rear of the front seats. This link shows you how to do it on a B8 but the principle is the same for most models.

hg

The rear headrests have side 'buttons/pressure switches' on one of the round plastic cuffs the headrest steel rods go into. If you press these in, it will allow you to raise the headrests as high as possible. Once there, look on the opposite round, plastic cuff, and you'll see a rectangular hole where you have to get a flathead screwdriver to poke with. Push it in and you'll be able to lift the rear headrests off.

Next, set your front seats as far forward as possible and raise them up as high as they'll go. This will expose the triple square bolts on the back of the rails (H10 - see pics), 2 on each seat.
IMG 20211006 143523
IMG 20211006 143531
IMG 20211005 101529

Remove those and then set about detaching the seat belts from the bottom of the front seats. To remove, unclip the plastic covers at the bottom of the front seat belts. The plastic cover stays on the belt but can be moved upwards to access the mechanism holding the belt in place. Underneath is a metal bracket. All you need to do is pull circled part of the metal bracket (see pic) outwards, and then push the bracket downwards and off the attachment.
IMG 20211006 173443
IMG 20211006 173511
IMG 20211006 173734
IMG 20211006 173541

Now adjust your seats as far back as possible to remove the plastic caps on the front of the rails (pic below) that cover the front 2 pairs of square bolts.
IMG 20211005 092837

Unscrew these and then you can tilt your seats back, exposing the wiring trunk (pic shows with cover taken off).
IMG 20211005 093942

Before you get to these, turn on your ignition and get to your battery, Loosen the bolt around the negative terminal and pull the negative cable away and cover with a rag until you reconnect it. Some people won't do this step but since we're working with airbags I'd rather be safe in the knowledge that they won't deploy in my face.

Once the power is gone, you can pry off the plastic flap which covers the cabling. There are 4 connectors to remove: Yellow = Airbag, Green = Heated seats, Red = Power supply for movement and Black = Seat belt (see pic).
Additionally, there is a large black clip that holds the cable trunking in place that also needs to be removed by pressing the two outer parts (I wasted a huge amount of time trying to push the inner clips). At this point, lay a blanket or or something on the door thresholds to protect yourself from scratching up your interior... The seats aren't ridiculously heavy, but they are awkward to move out of a confined space (hence removal of the headrests).

To remove the back bench, the first thing you need to do is remove the isofix caps and their plastic surrounds. The top caps just unclip, but the plastic surrounds will need to be pushed in, then pulled out. Difficult to explain but when you look closely it'll make more sense and you can do it with your fingers.

From this point all you need to to is put your hands under the seat and yank it up from the footwell side, hard and fast, one side at a time. The bench is only held in by way of two copper, rectangular, loops which are set into their own retaining clips (see pics).
IMG 20211006 134611
IMG 20211005 133708
IMG 20211006 134541

These will definitely break when you pull the bench up and you'll need to replace these when you put the new bench back in. You can buy them for under a fiver on ebay...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Plast...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0
Screenshot 20211006 083324

Once the bench is up, just gently bring the bench towards you and it's out. Next you want to remove the 2 side bolsters that sit between your rear doors and the back, split seat rests. Each bolster is only held in by one torx screw at the bottom (see pic) and once that's out, you can just tug in a downward direction to release it, making sure the top doesn't catch on anything.
IMG 20211006 135138
IMG 20211006 135120

So just the two 2/3 and the 1/3 back rests to go. Before that, locate the two black boxes with 2 black plastic sheathed cables in them (see pic).
IMG 20211006 134514

These cables allow the folding action of the back rests when you need to utilise the full rear space. One cable leads to the handles in the boot and the other directly to the back rests.
Opening the black box will reveal the spindle and the steel cables which are wound around. The cable you need to remove is the one with a tiny steel cylinder on the end of it (see pic). This cable is the one attached directly to the back rests and are very easy to remove and replace. Do it on both sides.
IMG 20211006 135355

Each back rest is held in place by way of a steel peg on the outer sides (red circles in pics) and on the inner side which has steel pins with a large circular piece of steel (green circles in pics).
IMG 20211006 134800
IMG 20211006 133817
IMG 20211006 133920 edit 105961097551539

The two pins from each back rest sits in place by way of a steel bracket affixed to the chassis.
IMG 20211005 120911
IMG 20211005 120921
IMG 20211006 134700

(above pic is a photo I took after I removed the backrests)
This steel bracket is then covered with a piece of metal, screwed in by a torx screw.
IMG 20211005 122022

IMG 20211005 122351

To uncover the bracket, you need to fold down the 1/3 backrest and look down where the backrests pivot, and where it sides up to the 2/3 backrest, you'll notice the metal, gloss black cover piece where one torx screw holds it in (pic shows the piece with the screw out). Unscrew this and bring your hand round the front of the back rests and you'll be able to lift that black cover off.

At this point, the back rest should be in the folded down position, and you can remove the 1/3 backrest by pushing it towards the middle of the car (away from the aforementioned steel pegs and towards the steel pins in the middle) and lifting up.

The 2/3 backrest still needs a seat belt detached before it can be removed in the same way. It'll be the middle seat belt which can be unbolted by way of 17mm socket (long).
IMG 20211005 113020

Once this bolt has been removed, detaching the belt will become obvious. And now you can remove the back rest in the same way as above.

At this point if you're anything like me, you'll probably want to break out the vacuum and give your interior a good going over!

Since we're going from non-electric seats to full electric, you to up rate two fuses from 5a to 10a. The fuses you need to change are the 'Lumbar support' ones for both driver and passenger. You can find the location of these fuses in your manual. I found that for my car, the front driver one used mini fuses and the passenger one used standard size ones. If you don't replace the 5a fuses, they will short on you.
IMG 20211003 151701
IMG 20211003 154024 edit 2702547461654810
IMG 20211003 153310
IMG 20211003 153440 edit 2700837480268091
IMG 20211003 154355 edit 2702573210981889

Once they've been replaced, all you need to do is install the new back rests, bench, side bolsters and front seats in reverse, connect the plugs from the front seats in and re-attach the negative terminal on your battery.

Although the new seats are fully electric, I have no use for the memory function, and just happy with the extra seat bolsters and gimmick of having electric movement. Subsequently, I didn't have to add any extra cabling, door trim or switches to this upgrade. Apart from the two fuses, the front seats were simply plug and play.

There is a module under the new driver seat which I didn't plug anything in for this swap (see pic).
IMG 20211003 104856

Presumably, this is where you would add a loom for the memory function but this will also require the above extra parts, as well as coding and removal of CP (Component Protection) for it to work.

Note that although the passenger side will move as long as you keep your finger pressed on the switches, the driver side will only move in increments. This is normal due to the way the seat was intended for use with the memory function. I've read other forums which confirm this happening, and since I only need to find the right seat potion for myself, this won't specifically bother me for my purpose.

I've had this system working for the last few days with no issues... But because this is the first time I've done this, I've kept some spare fuses in my boot just in case.

I hope this information is of some use to others.

Attachments

• IMG_20211003_151947.jpg
    IMG_20211003_151947.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 109
P. S. After disconnecting/reconnecting the battery you may want to clear any faults on Carista/VCDS etc. Not 100% essential (you won't get any dash warnings or anything) but I like to have a clean slate.

Drivers seat moves incrementally usually due to cp removal required.

Also, you should never just up a fuse, if it was a 5amp before, its probably a .35-.5 wire gauge, this isnt rated for 10amp, so safety wise you should replace the wire with a 1mm iirc which is 10amp rated or you risk a fire, it will probably be ok with the short bursts of use, but in my installs, I cant risk this happening even once for obvious reasons.

Other risks are damaging many others wires in the looms due to heat, this can take down a car easily.

Reactions: Duck C7 allroad
Drivers seat moves incrementally usually due to cp removal required.

Also, you should never just up a fuse, if it was a 5amp before, its probably a .35-.5 wire gauge, this isnt rated for 10amp, so safety wise you should replace the wire with a 1mm iirc which is 10amp rated or you risk a fire, it will probably be ok with the short bursts of use, but in my installs, I cant risk this happening even once for obvious reasons.

Other risks are damaging many others wires in the looms due to heat, this can take down a car easily.
You're right, the wires need upgrading but since I'm unlikely to have to change the settings any longer since I'm the only driver of this car, I'll be putting zero strain on the wires.

But thanks for highlighting this, you're obviously more experienced in car electrics than I am, and it's good that others will take your comment in tandem with the original post.

Reactions: NHN
Yeah I've seen some pretty bad wiring jobs tbh, quite a few I've had to correct, make safe, even from other retrofitters, that should damn well know better, safety 1st no exceptions.

Reactions: Duck C7 allroad
Hi, just wondering has anyone had the problem with doing this change and fitted both driver and passenger seat both worth for 5 minutes next thing they stopped. I changed fuse on both driver side and passenger side now passenger side works perfect but driver side won’t move but lumbar support and heated function still working. Any recommendations where to start? Managed to get away out and put back in manual one. Anyone come across this before?

Standard lumbar seats wiring & fuses are not suitable for fully electric seats, you have to upgrade the wiring & fuse points to cater for the extra load, hence why they blow ATM.

Fuse isn’t blown on
Standard lumbar seats wiring & fuses are not suitable for fully electric seats, you have to upgrade the wiring & fuse points to cater for the extra load, hence why they blow ATM.
driver side fuse didn’t blow at all that’s the funny thing but passenger side blew but haven’t had a problem since that’s over a month now.

It will blow in certain circumstances, lumbar setup doesn't support fully electric seats, it's a fact, so you're on borrowed time, all comes down to the load in use, but if wired correctly it won't face the lottery.