Changing the DSG shift knob - will it fit ?

Reaction score
Hello guys and girls :)

My car is a 2005 model and it has the old style dsg shift knob, you can see bellow how it looks:
p1020939jt1.jpg

ANdi i would like to swap it with this one, bought from ebay a couple of days ago for about 60euros:
2b44_1.JPG

Now my problem is i don't know if it will fit :o.k:, that's why i have started this thread, also if this will work i will change the upper part of the dsg with a trimmed leather.

Many Thanks,
Andi Bogdan :kissmyrings:

When I had my previous 2004 2.0TDI-140 I had the same type of s-tronic shift lever and base plate. I was interested in changing to the later type but when I spoke to the Master Tech at my dealers he said it would be almost impossible because a lot of the wiring etc had also changed as well as some parts of the shift mechanism below the lever.

I suppose anything is possible but it could work out expensive.

It annoyed me for 18 months before i changed

It is a simple swap really, you need a new gearknob, gaiter, display unit and gear surround

Retail inc vat parts are 206.38 I get trade rate so paid 185.71 . Its a little cheaper if you have the black gear surround The gaiter is either plain, red stiched, silver stiched. The gear knob is either perforated or plain.

Your ebay buy would have been a steal BUT its for a LHD car, on a right and drive the button and gearpostion display is on the other side.

Cant see why the one you bought wudent fit but as i saud button will be on wrong side

Thanks a lot mattandrew, could you please post the parts code that you bought. Also i must say i'm not from UK and my car it's a LHD vehicle. The first picture it's a real one with the entirior of my car :)

I will reply to your PM here, yes i did the conversion from the old style dsg stick to the new one.

Didnt realise you had a LHD so you will be fine with the parts you bought.

To remove the old one, pull up on the gear surround so it unclicks. Pull out the button on the side of the gear stick and make sure you hold it out, then pull up on the gear stick (it needs a fair amount of force). The old unit should now be off. There is a plastic surround/top on the top of the gear change unit this need to be removed and is NOT used with the new style surround. When you put the new one on up need to pull the leather gaiter up over the alloy knob ,before doing this you need to pull out the button on the side of the new knob, (Elsawin says to put compressed air on to the bottom and blow it out, i found it just as easy to blow down the bottom then grab hold of the button.) No sly comments please. I used a cable tie to hold the button out. The new knob will now slide on the gear select stick, the correct method of securing the knob on is to use a metal clamp, its a bit like a jubliee clip, but i just used a strong cable tie. You can now click all the surrounds in place. Oh i forgot to mention plugging in the display unit.

As for the part number, they will all be different as mine is RHD

Matt

i found it just as easy to blow down the bottom then grab hold of the button.) No sly comments please. I used a cable tie

Tells us alot now huh matty boy, lmao

Bet you left your bottom inside the plane when you jumped out today huh, lucky *****, hope was fun mate.

As for swapping gear surround etc, dont forget the possible trimming of the new underside of the gear surround/display unit so it fits flush, it will still sit as though its 100%, but on closer inspection we found that the new unit seems to sit/rock on top of the existing gear lever unit, some dremelling required.

TBH this part 99% of people wont worry about the minor fitment & I do mean minor that you wouldnt even notice when all put back, but I prefer a complete fit/job

Hello guys,

Today i did the swpaing, for for the poor quality of the picture but i did it with my phone's camera:
index.php

Thanks to all for you help ;)

Guys i have a new problem, if you can look at the attached pic you can see the region marked with red and notice that there is a part between the knob down part and the rest of the console that don't fit well enougth. Do you have any hints on how to fix this?

The picture:

DSC00019.JPG

Read my previous post as it says about the underside of the surround not fitting & would require trimming from underneath, remove the leather gairtor to see where it sits on the gear unit so you can see it is kinda rocking on the top, this doesnt allow the new piece to sit flush

So what you recommend is to cup that piece of plastic from the underneath?

Yeah get a dremel & trim it down & might also require some superglue aswell to hold things in place if you have to trim alot of.

It looks really nice!! Wish I had DSG but Im stuck whit 6 gears manual.

You like that then you'll love my current mod soon to be announced, lol.

So you got the mirror with compass, any pics cause I was thinking of changing mine for black & at same time swap to this type aswell.

Hey guys sorry to bump this - trying to find an answer to a similar question!

I've accidentally bought a LHD S3 S-tronic gear knob (along with a new handbrake cover). This was a double fail because it's LHD and had an S3 logo on the top. I thought it was a standard S-tronic one!!! :banghead:

I reckon the "LHD" gaiter can be flipped 180 and stapled onto my old plastic rim at the bottom to make it RHD, but then the gearknob will be the wrong way around! (also it'll say S3 on it which will drive my OCD side insane)

Soooooo how do I separate the actual knob from the gaiter? I want to put the new gaiter onto my old gear knob?

(before you ask why I wanna do this - the stitching is red on the new gaiter that's why!!)

Cheers in advance guys,

S.

oh i might as well ask how i take the handbrake cover off as well!!

cheers again

S.

haven't had a chance to give it a go yet matey

but i'll give you a "thanks" for now anyways :p

Oooooh 1 more & I get a set of steak knives.

Nowwww, name that movie.

hmm not sure lol... never been much of a movie buff!

right, i managed to separate the S3 knob from the gaiter, so an official thank you to Nigel!! but i've made a boo-boo - i've managed to completely pull the trigger out of my old MY06 shifter! thankfully i can still push the mechanism on the inside and change gear, but i can't for the life of me get the trigger back in!!

also i read that to take the shifter off you have to pull the trigger out and it should just come off, but i've been pulling at it and it won't shift. more force, or am i missing something?

(i can't believe i've made something so simple so complicated!)

right, i managed to separate the S3 knob from the gaiter, so an official thank you to Nigel!! but i've made a boo-boo - i've managed to completely pull the trigger out of my old MY06 shifter! thankfully i can still push the mechanism on the inside and change gear, but i can't for the life of me get the trigger back in!!

also i read that to take the shifter off you have to pull the trigger out and it should just come off, but i've been pulling at it and it won't shift. more force, or am i missing something?

You mean the button, you pulled this of the sprung loaded rod on the side of the old shifter, dont worry I've done this aswell, tbh its fairly simple to put it back, just pull down the sprung loaded rod & pull it into the locating holes in the button iirc, got me thinking now, gotta do the SB tomorrow lol.

Anyway when you are removing the old shifter, pull the button all the way out, then stick a small cable tie round the button so it cant go back inside the shifter, then you need to pull it upwards patiently & with some minimal force, it should then just pop off, it wont come of unless that button mechanism is pulled all the way out whilst pulling up.

ah see i thought i had to pull the button UP to get the button/trigger back in because it looks like it locates inside the button - i guess i've got the wrong idea!!

Ah hold on, is it up or down, cant recall lol, tiring day, whichever way you pull it it needs to sit back into the locators of the button mate, so up or down, I'll check tomorrow.

i'm pretty sure it's up. there's some locators on the button itself. i've got it into the locators, but i can't push the button back in for some reason. it's like it's stuck on something.

can i get the shifter off without the button on? cos i reckon it'll be easier to get on if the shifter was actually off

It maybe the case you have managed to lift the old shifter up a tad already, which maybe why the button isnt pushing in all the way mate, try pushing old shifter down & see if it works properly again.

Sorry havnt had chance to remove sb shifter today.

Well went down at 2.30am when I have some peace & quiet, coded the new CE in for sb, but poxy tools were in the apartment arrgghh, so wlll check the shifter later.

lol i was gonna ask what you were doing up at 3am!

why the new CE? what have you been up to hey

Hey with kid you have no time for yourself lol, so that was only time could code, did the job anyway, was to enable/complete some mods on the SB.

sounds fairly extreme if you needed a new CE - what have you added?

Namely I needed byte 21 to enable bixenon with drl headlights as my C board was only 17 byte thus gave me flickering lights & no main beam, also adds advanced comfort for when I fit the white dis, shame really as this motor is ofski soon, someone will love it.

After reading all this I am still not brighter, maybe because all pictures are gone!
But simple question, can you swap the old shiny s-tronic to the new with leather, is it functional working?
the retrofit is no big thing but just one clearance that this will work properly!

old thread but i hope for answers

Kind Regards from Sweden

Old New

Reactions: Kevin A3 Quattro
I also have a similar question in @Pergan second pic- what other shift knob will fit that has the left click and do any come with the boot??

as ive understood you can change to New S-line/tronic with modification by twisting the part on top, located under the knob. All side clicks will fit on a side clicker, I think.. left and right look the same, pull down the silver part under the knob then pull button out from the knob and lift the knob with force, and there you have it. investigate

cheers