Changing the S3....but to what?

Chris4410

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I will hit the 3 year mark with my S3 in April, I am currently stuck on what to change to.

Looking at similar cars, the BMW M140i is out as I don’t like the look of it. Jumping up to an RS3 or M2 is not an option as they are beyond what I am willing to spend.

I am test driving the new A35 AMG tomorrow, so it may be an option if I like it. Any other suggestions on what else could be a consideration? Had even thought of a new S3 but I feel I won’t get that new car feeling going to the same car and the interior is now starting to show its age when you look at something like the AMG.

A35 AMG could be a great choice if you like the more high tech interior and don't mind getting a more "young" looking car.

The new Golf R is out of the question or what? This could also be considered a downgrade if you ask me.

Tried a45 & it was rubbish compared to the s3, interior wasnt dropjaw either tbh.

Missus has the gla & practically same interior, its nice but not doesnt get me past the awful gearbox, put foot down a bit ot does nothing, delayed response as per the a45 tbh.

Hey all,

So I will hit the 3 year mark with my S3 in April, I am currently stuck on what to change to.

Looking at similar cars, the BMW M140i is out as I don’t like the look of it. Jumping up to an RS3 or M2 is not an option as they are beyond what I am willing to spend.

I am test driving the new A35 AMG tomorrow, so it may be an option if I like it. Any other suggestions on what else could be a consideration? Had even thought of a new S3 but I feel I won’t get that new car feeling going to the same car and the interior is now starting to show its age when you look at something like the AMG.

Are you already in a Saloon? If not, have a look at an S3 Saloon, I've gone from SB to a Saloon and I love it, and I really liked my SB. Might be an idea to spec VC to get a more modern look, assuming you didn't have it before, and have look at other options, Sports seats, B&O if you haven't had that gubbins?

Let us know what you think of the A35, there's one arriving in Stockport this weekend, they asked if I wanted a demo but I'd already made my decision.

Last edited:
Having had a look at many cars, I think it's hard to find an upgrade in the same category for the S3 as it is a great all rounder. Personally I'm looking at an S5 but in no rush. M2 is far too expensive as you've said. Personally find the A35/A45 too garish and "in your face boy racers styling"

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I’m looking to go to S3 saloon from SB as nothing else taking my fancy at the moment. Was in a new decent spec E class the other week and as nice as the screens are, the plastics were really awful and that’s on an E Class. My PFL still feels like a nicer interior than that.

Not sure I like the new style A either from the outside although in A35 AMG May be a little nicer if not a bit too in your face sporty. Golf is boring. BMW M135/140 Shadow edition is the only other thing I’ve looked and kind of liked the look of. But it’s a BMW!

Looked at S5 but they are just so big! Too big if you like the hot hatch feel.

In the other direction TTS & 5.0 Mustang look nice but too much of a compromise space wise.

S5 Coupé would be my preferred change, but I do like Mercedes.
The thing I find slightly bewildering about the latter is that there are so many different models to choose from. I can see one and think it looks great but have no idea what it actually is. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam14
S5 Coupé would be my preferred change, but I do like Mercedes.
The thing I find slightly bewildering about the latter is that there are so many different models to choose from. I can see one and thing it looks great but have no idea what it actually is. :D
Agreed there (on both points haha)

Hey all,

A35 AMG is a good choice, I quite like them. I'm considering being sensible and going down the small SUV route next time... new Q3 is lovely and there is an RS version in the works as we speak!

Tried a45 & it was rubbish compared to the s3, interior wasnt dropjaw either tbh.

Missus has the gla & practically same interior, its nice but not doesnt get me past the awful gearbox, put foot down a bit ot does nothing, delayed response as per the a45 tbh.

A35 not A45... the A35 is the new 'warm' model based on the newer A-class range.

large-30566-thenewmercedes-amga354matic.jpg

large-30557-thenewmercedes-amga354matic.jpg

large-30557-thenewmercedes-amga354matic.jpg

I had my S3 sportback 30 months great specced car but l was glad to get rid of it, spec a saloon up inside and it looks ****** special love the interior of my car far nicer than any A class or one series or a S5 l would go S3 saloon with a well optioned interior

Reactions: NevMan, Audi Bairn and Flying Scotsman
I had my S3 sportback 30 months great specced car but l was glad to get rid of it, spec a saloon up inside and it looks ****** special love the interior of my car far nicer than any A class or one series or a S5 l would go S3 saloon with a well optioned interior

Surely hatch or saloon, the interior on the S3 is the same and the main difference from your pre-fl would be super sports seats and virtual cockpit - everything else the same no ?

The current S5 looks amazing on the inside too IMO. Audi interiors are hard to beat - saying that, still not sure that will be the case on the new platform cars :grimacing:

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Surely hatch or saloon, the interior on the S3 is the same and the main difference from your pre-fl would be super sports seats and virtual cockpit - everything else the same no ?

The current S5 looks amazing on the inside too IMO. Audi interiors are hard to beat - saying that, still not sure that will be the case on the new platform cars :grimacing:

Add the interior to the saloon l meant mate,l have no inclination of changing my car until the 4 years are up its that good and that's not like me

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Snake Pliskin

Had a new 2019 Q3 whilst mine was in at t he stealers... awesome interior! Love the new screen and VC update. Comfy aswell.

Reactions: NevMan and Snake Pliskin
Rs3 end off:tearsofjoy::icon thumright:
Why...... As they are Overpriced .. etc etc etc just for a extra 90 bhp and if you use it as a daily? It's a uber drain on yer bank account, its a weekend car mate .....just some of the reasons l didn't get one, even a used one makes even less sense because the prices are stupidly hiked up then add higher interest rates

If I threw my S3 in a hedge or it went awol would be looking at this

Upload 2019 2 21 14 31 12

To me the new A35 looks like the new Focus with a stupid spoiler stuck on the back.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Mark_86
Why...... As they are Overpriced .. etc etc etc just for a extra 90 bhp and if you use it as a daily? It's a uber drain on yer bank account, its a weekend car mate .....just some of the reasons l didn't get one, even a used one makes even less sense because the prices are stupidly hiked up then add higher interest rates

I think all cars are overly priced Jason mate. New s3 loaded up is not going to be far off the cost of a rs3, that goes for the new a35 and a45 to.
I appreciate that everyone as different Financial circumstances but that 5 cylinder knocks the spots off anything in its group and you don’t get that daft fake engine noise getting pumped into the cabin that all these new cars seem to have including top end m sport bmws.

I think all cars are overly priced Jason mate. New s3 loaded up is not going to be far off the cost of a rs3, that goes for the new a35 and a45 to.
I appreciate that everyone as different Financial circumstances but that 5 cylinder knocks the spots off anything in its group and you don’t get that daft fake engine noise getting pumped into the cabin that all these new cars seem to have including top end m sport bmws.

The thing that fooks up most prospective RS3 and M2 Cp owners is the lack of discount mate £50,000 plus is a lot of money for a fast Audi/BMW

Reactions: NevMan, MikeParkin, DW81 and 1 other person
I am with @jassyo06 on this one, I bought a 2017 S3 saloon....looks better than an SB and in it's market/price there is no car that comes close to the S3 in finish and quality. I will also keep mine for 4 years or even slightly longer. The only car that floats my boat is the TTS or RS but they are both very pricey.
For the OP I might just wait for the new S3 but that also could be expensive and no discounts.

Reactions: NevMan, Snake Pliskin, MikeParkin and 1 other person
Are you already in a Saloon? If not, have a look at an S3 Saloon, I've gone from SB to a Saloon and I love it, and I really liked my SB. Might be an idea to spec VC to get a more modern look, assuming you didn't have it before, and have look at other options, Sports seats, B&O if you haven't had that gubbins?

Let us know what you think of the A35, there's one arriving in Stockport this weekend, they asked if I wanted a demo but I'd already made my decision.

I have the saloon, and nearly every option on it. VC wasn't available as mine is a PFL. I love the S3 but getting a new one, I just don't think even with the VC it would feel like a new car to me having driven one for 3 years.

Reactions: Jassyo06
The thing that fooks up most prospective RS3 and M2 Cp owners is the lack of discount mate £50,000 plus is a lot of money for a fast Audi/BMW

Agree, no offers. Couple of used M2's at my local BMW dealer which are in budget but the apr rate is 12.4%, no way I am paying that.

Reactions: NevMan

I had asked about an S5, no deals and you can't order a new one at the moment.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
the A45 would be over budget, and at 400 over the top. I can barely use the 300bhp in the S3.

So a well spec'd A35 AMG at 306bhp could fit the bill.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Mark_86
If I threw my S3 in a hedge or it went awol would be looking at this

View attachment 176158

To me the new A35 looks like the new Focus with a stupid spoiler stuck on the back.

I need 13k miles a year, this seems to push these good offers beyond what I am willing to spent monthly.

Reactions: Jassyo06
A35 AMG could be a great choice if you like the more high tech interior and don't mind getting a more "young" looking car.

The new Golf R is out of the question or what? This could also be considered a downgrade if you ask me.

The Golf R wouldn't be for me, I actually prefer the GTI but again no deals locally anyway.

Agree, no offers. Couple of used M2's at my local BMW dealer which are in budget but the apr rate is 12.4%, no way I am paying that.
You could look at external PCP, likes of Oracle. More competitive APR when I had a look few months back.

Ouch I'm still at 3% in the used market. Tough call but this is my first S and is exactly what I need currently. I don't think I would change from it unless my situation changed from an all around great car to something that's more of just a RWD weekend fun car. I've had an M and If I went back I would miss the interior of the Audi. Though there are more M options now and I really like the smaller ones like the M1 and M2.
My S is only a couple months old so it's still my favorite car in my price range for now. The RS3 would be fantastic but I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money for a daily driver. I've never owned any Porsche's that is one car that I would like to own at some point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris4410, Mark_86 and Adam14
Unless it’s a second car who is doing 5k miles a year these days.

Some of the mileage on these lease and PCP deals is totally unrealistic even for the average driver.

l see by your signature you have a S3 saloon a nicely optioned car as well apart from the white paint lol.............My advice is.. keep it another year dont jump to a mundane Merc Hatchback......there's no Whao factor with it looks....it's the definition of dull unless you like saying.... HEY MERCEDES.....,that's all i see of late is the A class...on the Motorway all AMG lines....Merc must be giving out good deals already on the A class especially to the company car/fleet driver......l think actually there's a Unwritten Law that Audi S3/RS3 owners.....never do a Merc...... BMW....perhaps..... but never a Merc....lol

Reactions: mve7, Jcbmally, Snake Pliskin and 3 others
Unless it’s a second car who is doing 5k miles a year these days.

Some of the mileage on these lease and PCP deals is totally unrealistic even for the average driver.
Me :D Had the car since the end of October 2017 and I'm not on 4,500 yet! It's used 4 days for work and then the weekends it's either taxi, walk or get a lift, as 4 people can't fit in mine :)

Just change the miles, term etc to suit. The example was one I was looking at :)

Gti

Reactions: Chris4410
l see by your signature you have a S3 saloon a nicely optioned car as well apart from the white paint lol.............My advice is.. keep it another year dont jump to a mundane Merc Hatchback......there's no Whao factor with it looks....it's the definition of dull unless you like saying.... HEY MERCEDES.....,that's all i see of late is the A class...on the Motorway all AMG lines....Merc must be giving out good deals already on the A class especially to the company car/fleet driver......l think actually there's a Unwritten Law that Audi S3/RS3 owners.....never do a Merc...... BMW....perhaps..... but never a Merc....lol

I’ve never driven a Merc much less owned one, had BMWs for many years before changing to Audi, in fact the S3 is only my second can’t really count the TT as I only had it for a week.

I’ll know straight away when I drive it, I’ve already test driven 3 other cars at this stage and ruled them out, all were very nice but didn’t give me the feeling I would be enjoying them in 1, 2 or 3 years time.

Reactions: Jcbmally and Jassyo06
I’ve never driven a Merc much less owned one, had BMWs for many years before changing to Audi, in fact the S3 is only my second can’t really count the TT as I only had it for a week.

I’ll know straight away when I drive it, I’ve already test driven 3 other cars at this stage and ruled them out, all were very nice but didn’t give me the feeling I would be enjoying them in 1, 2 or 3 years time.

That's my point the S3 Saloon is a hard act to follow....basically yer ****** just like our @Snake Pliskin who wants/would like to change his RS3.....KEEP SAVING

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Chris4410
Well I’m keeping my S3 long term even though its PFL I still love it. It’s just smiles per miles for me, even though there are plenty cars to change to I don’t think there’s much that would change that opinion.

I was also considering options for maybe a new car later in the year and I test drove the GLA45 AMG as happened to be one nearby and it put my right off getting one. Soon as I put my foot down nothing happened. Maybe a regular A45 amg would be better or the new A35. But soon as I got back in my own car with its res delete and stage1 I immediately felt that smile when I floored it. I'm going to struggle to replicate that on my budget when I come to swap!

I'm going to look at an A35 on the weekend as a possible choice instead of an S3. I really like them, they're about the same price as an S3 too.

I also really like the tech in them, but I do prefer the exterior of the S3 (especially in the chrome edition) I think it looks more classy and less chavvy I guess.

If you don't mind that sort of look what about the i30n? They're pretty nice and have a great Sound!

I like the a35 but can’t get away from the fact the interior is really cheaply finished. Looks great in photos but when you sit inside them they really are finished on a budget

Finish on the c class is right up there with the A4/A5. A shame they clearly spent the money on tech rather than quality. I suppose looking at the new a1 and q3 interior it’s a stance audi is now matching too

Ps in answer to the question I’d keep the s3. I bought a lot of different cars, Tiguan r line, tt etc when the car I always wanted was the s3 but somehow never ended up in one. I’ve been in the s3 6 months now and I adore it, so much so it’s becoming a real obsession keeping it as new, detailing etc. Thought that bug died 6/7 years ago when I sold my Gti but turns out ive not had a car that gets under my skin since then.

Looking for a car to replace the wife’s tt with as 3 yr pcp is about to end. Been to audi, Mercedes, bmw, Vw, Land Rover, there is nothing that takes either of our fancies. Quite often some nice cars but apart from a Cayman, nothing exciting enough to change for. Audi hit the nail on the head with the s3 and tt but the new direction is quite disappointing

Last edited:
Reactions: mve7