Changing tyre size & rotation size ? Bad for Haldex?

Daniel James

Reaction score
Hi all

I’m picking up some staggered 19” RS3 wheels next week to put on my S3 8V but I thought I would ask all the RS owners some advice on tyre sized

currently has
fronts 255/30/19
Rears 235/35/19

If I were to change to a 35 profile at the front and maybe a 245 (245/35/19) is this going to cause any issues with haldex sustem diff etc ?
Will eventually look to run 245/35/19 all round
thanks in advance

Running 255/35/19 and 245/35/19 puts both axles at a closer rolling radius than 255/30/19 and 235/35/19 so technically speaking it is better but if you are going to change tyres about I would just go for the 245/35/19 or 235/35/19 off the bat.
Chances of having an issue are low but it is obviously not the recommended setup for the S3

Reactions: 8YARWY
I changed from 255 /30/19 fronts to 235/35/19. Mainly because the Goodyear F1 Supersports aren’t made in the 255 fitment.

I’ve had no issues in 3 years of running this way and I don’t miss the 255 tyres one bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: seventeenapg
Running 255/35/19 and 245/35/19 puts both axles at a closer rolling radius than 255/30/19 and 235/35/19 so technically speaking it is better but if you are going to change tyres about I would just go for the 245/35/19 or 235/35/19 off the bat.
Chances of having an issue are low but it is obviously not the recommended setup for the S3
Thanks for coming back to me … I wasn’t worried so much about widget but more concerned about the over radius of the wheel from a 30 profile to 35?

I changed from 255 /30/19 fronts to 235/35/19. Mainly because the Goodyear F1 Supersports aren’t made in the 255 fitment.

I’ve had no issues in 3 years of running this way and I don’t miss the 255 tyres one bit.

That’s good to hear thanks very much …. Do you run the 8.5J at the front ?

That’s good to hear thanks very much …. Do you run the 8.5J at the front ?

Yes as 235 fit the alloy nicely

1281d7aa924f6c11b93c468c31ec4845.jpg

That looks spicey and a not a lot of stretch

The new AO Supersports I just fitted have a ‘similar’ sidewall look to the OEM p zero in that they have the angled look.

Great tyre too.

The new AO Supersports I just fitted have a ‘similar’ sidewall look to the OEM p zero in that they have the angled look.

Great tyre too.

Never heard of AO supersport … do you have a link?

AO is general Audi fitment, RO is RS fitment

When I spoke to Goodyear Technical before ordering these he said the Audi original were designed specifically for performance Audi’s. The RS3 being one of them.

When I spoke to Goodyear Technical before ordering these he said the Audi original were designed specifically for performance Audi’s. The RS3 being one of them.
But that's not what is in the Audi tech manual. In all likelihood you probably spoke to someone who was unaware of the difference between other "performance Audis" like the 'S' or big diesels etc and the RS models, (like most people, including some main dealers)

The AO is no more appropriate for the RS than any other non-RO tyre. I had this argument with the main dealer that supplied my car, and Audi UK confirmed that an AO tyre is not correct fitment for the RS3. Dealer then fitted the correct RO2 tyres.

I then swapped them for PS4Ss all round :smile new:

From what I read the new RS3 will come on Pirellis again, even if you do not spec the Trofeo R

But that's not what is in the Audi tech manual. In all likelihood you probably spoke to someone who was unaware of the difference between other "performance Audis" like the 'S' or big diesels etc and the RS models, (like most people, including some main dealers)

The AO is no more appropriate for the RS than any other non-RO tyre. I had this argument with the main dealer that supplied my car, and Audi UK confirmed that an AO tyre is not correct fitment for the RS3. Dealer then fitted the correct RO2 tyres.

I then swapped them for PS4Ss all round :smile new:

From what I read the new RS3 will come on Pirellis again, even if you do not spec the Trofeo R

Lol I didn’t just speak to the receptionist.
His words were ‘yes these are designed for Audi high performance models and are perfectly fine for the RS3’

Am well aware of R01/2 thanks.

Any who, I don’t care, they are the same as the previous GY Supersports except in one way, these have the stretched look, unlike the previous GY Supersports, so they changed the shoulder design on the AO tyres to Audi spec it looks like.