Changing tyre's on a quattro ???

Quattro Matty

Reaction score
My front tyre's will need changing before my next MOT, my question is with my A3 being a quattro do all four need replacing or can I just change the fronts for new tyre's ???

Its recommended to change all 4.
However i usually do 2 at a time and have had no problems.

A3 is haldex, the rears are only driven when slip is detected on the fronts.

MrCSW I had a thought u might had to change all four, the rears are like new so it would be a waste to change them..

Kite so the rears only come into play when the fronts start to slip ???

You don't need to change all 4 if there is a decent enough amount of tread on one of the axles... the system is intelligent enough to take into account tyre wear across axles... you should change them in pairs though...

<tuffty/>

The haldex clutch only engages when slip is detected on the fronts.
New tyres should go on the back, move the used rears to the front.

What do you mean upgrade the haldex ???

Thanks for the replys chaps I'll buy 2 new tyre's stick them on the rears and move the old rears to the fronts..

Performance Haldex controller... reacts from throttle position and gives full lock of the haldex clutch more quickly than the original... costs 600+ quid though..

<tuffty/>

i swear we had this conversation a while ago and came to the conclusion that it doesn't really matter so long as all the tyres are the same size? . . When i bought my car 3 of the tyres were new and one was close to the legal limit, I had no issues in the 6months of driving it like that. Today I replaced that one worn tyre for my MOT and left the other 3, what problems is that actually likely to cause if any?

the system can deal with any differing amounts of tread wear just fine. but id replace fronts and rears in pairs if i were you. its just good practice, end of.

i hate seeing cars in at work that are only 5/6 years old and somehow they have all different tyres on each wheel, some nearly new, others on 2mm. i mean how the hell did they manage that??

what problems is that actually likely to cause if any?

In my humble opinion, if you go very slowly, drive on perfectly dry surfaces, avoid having to use your brakes in a firmly and don't accelerate briskly, ... oh almost forgot ... avoid corners too ... I don't think it will cause you any trouble what so ever.

Cars like being stable, they need to be balanced. Having odd tyres across an axle and especially on all 4 wheels means when your car changes speed over varying surfaces the tyres will have different coefficients of friction - each tyre will have different amounts of grip.

For example ... remove the ABS fuse, have a different type of tyre on each corner, get up to 70 and stamp on the brakes and each tyre will probably want to slow the car at a different rate. Can you imagine how much fun that's going to be?

Different levels of tread across an axle - even on the same tread pattern - will mean they will disperse water at different rates. So when you hit that standing water one wheel might be able to cope and disperse the water and keep traction but the other with less tread might not - could very easily induce a spin. Welcome to the world of motorway pile ups.

Having different tyres across an axle will mean a different rolling radius for each wheel. They car will have a tendency to pull in one direction and probably increase mechanical wear on the steering and drive train.

Different tread patterns on the front the back. Which one provides more grip? Corner harshly and push one set to 100% and they'll let go. Welcome to the world of understeer or oversteer.

I think this is one of the main reasons you should put your best/grippiest/newest tyres on the rear ... even on a front wheel drive car ... because it's easier to correct understeer than it is oversteer.

Most of us have ABS and traction control they sense wheels rotating at different speeds and adjust torque/braking and do magical things automatically to 'try' and keep you pointing in a straight line they do a ****** good job of keeping Darwin & Newton in check. But they cannot completely mitigate physics and physics ALWAYS wins.

Don't get me wrong I'm not having a go, or trying to be negative, just want to make it known there are *very* good valid reasons for matching tyres especially across axles and between the front and rear.

At the moment I have different tyres on the front and back of my car, but they're matched tread patterns across the axle. I know this and I drive my car accordingly.

If you look at the amount we all spend on blingy alloys, servicing, petrol, tax and generally looking after our cars, spend a few quid on the tyres, they're quite literally the interface between your car, its power and the road. Why cheapskate arguably the most important part?

Liam :undwech:

I have on occasion only changed 2 at a time and always put the new tyres on the back.

Thanks for your “humble” opinion/slightly patronising lecture there liam... Not sure if you were trying to be ironic but if not maybe you should probably double check the meaning of the word humble.

I see what you're saying and most of your points are very valid. . . of course cars like to be stable, goes without saying. But this applies to all cars, not just quattros. Everyone goes on about changing tyres evenly on a quattro as if it can cause some sort of catastrophic mechanical failure. I was merely trying to identify if there are any mechanical issues that could arise... but while you're being so pedantic, lets get involved:

"varying surfaces" "different coefficients of friction"
you said it your self there... Uk roads are often like patch work quilts, the varying surfaces will have varied coefficients of friction anyway...

have a different type of tyre on each corner
I am far from suggesting anyone does this. . .

one wheel might be able to cope and disperse the water and keep traction but the other with less tread might not
unfortunately, due to water being a liquid, it's not kind enough to sit evenly on the road. so even there being a puddle of water on one half of the road and not the other is also just as likely to induce a spin.

Yes EPC and traction control do a very good job at trying to point us in the right direction but we managed very well for many years with out it and I think you'll find, on the track, you'll be better of without either... Unless of course you don't drive within the limits of your car.

Granted, having four precisely even tyres will maximise your chances in all the scenarios you mention but my point being so long as all 4 tyres are of the same make/tread patter and have a decent amount of tread on them I can't see anyone having any huge issues, especially if they drive accordingly, as you said your self. Lets face it, I'm talking about my everyday car on everyday roads and all to often in everyday traffic jams, not a precision engineered track weapon on the finest asphalt.

And just to add... i don't go very slowly, I don't drive on perfectly dry surfaces, I regularly use the breaks firmly, accelerate briskly and actually go out of my way to enjoy the twisty route home: rarely do I find my self in trouble nor is my car wildly out of control, sketchy or unpredictable in anyway shape or form. I drive accordingly (if a little enthusiastically) and within the limits of my car :racer:

Thanks

Lewis

I change tyres when they need to be changed. IMO if your not driving like a idiot and/or tailgating you'll be fine.

And you say understeer is easier to correct then oversteer? If you come into a corner too fast and oversteer you can correct the rear end. If you understeer then theres not much you can d[FONT=verdana, tahoma, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]o?

Just my opinion tho.
[/FONT]

Thanks for your “humble” opinion

ooops sorry dude. I was just going to make a few points about tyres and then got carried away and it turned into a bit of a late night rant. Didn't actually mean to aim it at you or patronise.

:friends:

-tuffty is the performance haldex controller plug and play? or having to programme in?