Cheap 4x4s

dieseldoos

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
As we are doing up the house along with other things, I am looking at getting a cheap 4x4 to use. Ive been looking at Toyota Surfs, and Suzuki Vitaros/Samuris etc.

It will be used for lugging larger goods, tip runs etc, and getting out of our road should we get snow in the winter. Not used every day, but reliable when its needed.

I use to own a Range Rover L322, which was ideal, but was a money pit, hence I sold it. So this time around im pondering a cheap (around £1500) 4x4, that will be a reliable work horse.

Any one owned anything like that? Are Surfs etc reliable?

ive even pondered a Frontera but not sure of that one!

I've had a surf, very reliable as long as you get the 3 litre, avoid 2.5s like the plague, they have a design fault in the cooling system and heads crack, you will be lucky to get 16 to 17 mpg though, I've had a landcruiser amazon as well, great car and ultra reliable, also a hilux pickup but there thirsty as well.

Reactions: dieseldoos
I do tend to find myself looking at Toyota Surfs the most. My Rangie loved a drink, but as it wont be used as constant runabout, fuel costs are not so much of an issue. Its just the thought of always fixing it I dont want lol

old Jeeps rule....

My old £800 Grand Cherokee

IMG_5767Copy.jpg

my current £500 Cherokee

null_zps912467eb.jpg

also ran old Pajeros but prefer the Jeeps...

Brought one now. Toyota Rav4 Mk1 5 door petrol. W reg, One owner, all history & paperwork. Not a true 4x4, but is 4 wheel drive, large enough to lug things, get dogs in back, and should get around in any snow in winter.

Reactions: jojo
Brought one now. Toyota Rav4 Mk1 5 door petrol. W reg, One owner, all history & paperwork. Not a true 4x4, but is 4 wheel drive, large enough to lug things, get dogs in back, and should get around in any snow in winter.

I was going to recommend a Rav4, but it looked like you was after something bigger!

Hyundai Santa Fe, mate at work had one, not the prettiest looking motor but his was good and reliable.

Reading up on them, they seem quite reliable, and after viewing a few, I realised that with the back seats down, they are more spacious then they look. So when I see the one I brought, and test drove it, I was sold!

Reactions: jojo
Reading up on them, they seem quite reliable, and after viewing a few, I realised that with the back seats down, they are more spacious then they look. So when I see the one I brought, and test drove it, I was sold!

I had a gen1 3dr from new in 1995, great car! 0-60 in 8.8secs, the pug 205gti's I was keeping up with was a right laugh! Replaced it with a mk2 for the missus, not as fun to drive, but more comfortable and refined.