Cheap coilovers vs springs

Anthony_H

Reaction score
I need rid of wheel gap for six months or so i can't stand it any longer. So i was thinking Eibach 50mm or H&R, but how would say £200 coilovers compare.
I would'nt normally go for cheap coilovers as its more about comfort and handling and being able to set it up how i want than looks for me, but i just cant afford it right now and theres no excuse for this amout of gap.
So if there not to bad compared to stock i may use them as a stop gap for now, i dont really want to screw my shocks using lower springs as it will go back to stock somtime in the future.

I would rather spend the £200 on decent springs that cheap coilovers - cheap coils will be very crashy. Be ok made but quality of material and parts used will be represented by the cost.

I have H&R 25mm springs in my S3 and they are fantastic and lower the car sufficiently!

My main worry realy is just the that i want 50mm springs and 50mm cant be good for stock shocks. But surpose its sports suspension so its only what 35mm realy, what does the sports suspension consist of, is it just lower or are the shocks shortend aswell.

As said, spoend that £200 on some H&R's you won't regret it!

Here mines before...
P1020080.jpg

And after...
P1020399.jpg

Last edited:
:drool: Springs it is then, so what's the diffrence in H&R and Eibach other than price.

£500 will get you decent coils, better ride, and adjustable height, I hope you're happy with spring height, as numerous people come to me and say, wish i'd gone for coils as once springs settle they maybe too high/low for you

I've used H&R springs and they are very good, but I've just fitted some AP coilovers and for the money they are brilliant, the ride quality is very good and the handling is spot-on

yeah but if he has a sport modle not an s3 it will be different as s3's are about 20mm lower than a sport anyway.? so what will 50mm springs be like on standard shocks on a sport.

Sure the springs are 50mm from stock, so it wont matter what model i think. Coilsovers are going on in about 6 months, im going for meisterR ones £650 adjustalble height, dampning and camber plates etc, this is purely just somthing to rid of the wheel gap for a short time.