CHEZ"S EGR cleaning! with pics!

CHEZ

moderately amusing
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi!
thought it was about time i carried this task out as my car as far as i know has never had it done!
its a 2.0 tdi 140 s line avant with aprox 78k on the clock!
first of all i would like to thank low fuel for this thread as i followed this while doing it and found it was a good how to thread! cheers dude! well done mate!

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s...-2-0-tdi-problems-problems-problems-help.html

anyway! here goes!
tools needed are t30 torx, 6mm allen key, (shortened helps), spark plug brush, carb cleaner, petrol!
surgical gloves and kitchen roll

i know, i know! i need an audi badge! lol
[]
egr002.jpg

one filthy anti shudder removed first off,
]
egr005.jpg
]

then the egr! not that bad i thought! i was expecting worse after seeing some of the images on here! must be the v power i only run her on maybe!
]
egr009.jpg
]

egr013.jpg
]

i filled an old maggot box out my fishing tackle with about £2.50 worth of unleaded petrol and let the egr soak here for half an hour or so!
]
egr014.jpg
]

while i got to work cleaning the anti shudder up with carb cleaner!

]
egr015.jpg
]

]
egr020.jpg
[]

a lot better! not perfect but i did not want to damage the flap! so cleaned up the best i could without braking anything!

]
egr023.jpg
]

the old gaskets and o ring i removed!

]
egr029.jpg
[

halfrauds carb cleaner! around £6 a tin! i probably could have used 2 tins! but got a pretty good result off the 1 tin never the less!
(notice ASN in the background)

]
egr034.jpg
[]

these are my mucky paws even after using surgical gloves throughout!
not a clean job at all, but very rewarding and quite easy if you take your time! and follow low fuels guide!
you cant go wrong really!

]
egr038.jpg
]

beer time! a bottle of asdas finest cheap french muck!
its quite nice actually! lovely ice cold and a refreshing change to stella!

]
egr035.jpg
]

Last edited:
Reactions: lenti
That was a good read. Job well done young Chez. :)

Good write up , has it made any difference ?

good question! lol
i cant really tell until the morning mate! as this is when the car is stone cold and the egr does its thing properly!
was warm when i worked on it, but thankfully started after i had been tinkering! so fingers crossed it will be better!
i will update tomorrow!
only issues i had when cold was it used to drink the derv like a fish until warm and the throttle when cold was a bit rough on the uptake but nothing major to worry about really!

Oh yes I remember those days well, lol, nice little job huh.

Nice one chezza, hope you washed them paws before tucking mrs hawks in ;)

mhh well, I better check mine out, nothing has happend yet but better to clean it now then to late.
Thanks mate for posting this :D

oohh yeah, shouldnt something like theese clean it up?

BG Quick Clean professional engine flush
G244 fuel system cleaner and carbon remover
BG DOC diesel Oil Conditioner

Power Enhancer | BG44k | Petrol Engine Cleaners | Fuel Injector Cleaner

Someone told me this should be fine doing it?

i did buy 20 bottles of each bottle hahaha, you cant find theese ones here in Sweden.. now im selling it to ppl with diesel cars here most of them B7's they work so great..
especially the BG244.. :D

Last edited:
quick update!
pulled car out of garage this morning to take for little test run to gauge the results of the egr clean!
first of all it started! which was nice!
the outside temp was around 8* which was not too cold really! i wanted it to be colder to really test the difference between warm and cold running!
anywho, the car seems to be a lot smoother on cold acceleration and the mpg"s seemed to have calmed down! time will tell ultimately!
i done a 4 mile test drive, through a few villages, quiet roads nothing severe! just enough for the car to do a heat cycle and to compare warm from cold!
on pulling away from my garage the range was at 50miles and the fuel light/beep happened, and after my litttle journey the range was at 55miles! (i dont have full DIS sadly with actual mpg), but anyway, this time last week prior to my egr cleaning this figure probably would have been down to about 45miles of range left, so straight away i have seen an improvement in mpg"s which was my ultimate goal!
i would like to say to you all that performance has vastly improved, my engine now revs like a sowing machine and my car actually produces its own fuel now, but that would just make me a big fat fibber! lol
all i can report is, my mpg seems to have improved from cold, it pulls slightly smoother low down and cold and i also have the knowledge that its been done now!
give it a go!

Nice one chezza, hope you washed them paws before tucking mrs hawks in ;)

oh no mate! not going to happen on that score i am afraid!
lets just say its that time when fiesty and angry for a week or so!
i know how lion keepers feel now!
i have to feed her by putting a steak on the end of a stick and poke it through the door damo! :slapped: