RSQ3 Chip Shortage - Spec Change?

StanleyRanger

Reaction score
Hey guys
First time posting here but looking for some advice.
In October '21 I ordered an RSQ3 Audi Sport Edition through main dealer and have had no end of trouble.
Build week has now moved 3 times from late 21 through to July 22, which I've been patient with given the current situation.
However...
I've just had an email from the dealership to say they don't have the parts for the Dark Tinted Matrix LED headlights and so are replacing with standard LED front and rear lights (non-Matrix), rear dynamic indicators (no front dynamic indicators) and DRL.
The email also says they're expecting parts to be available to resume manufacturing with the Matrix option in half 2 of 2022 but my dealer says my order will be automatically amended as its in progress.
In my mind this is a pretty massive change as those are options that are standard with the trim level I ordered but more importantly individually cost around £3-4k as an extra.
What should I be looking for here in terms of the order? I'm concerned that when it comes time to sell/replace the car it will be worth significantly less and will be a bit of an odd specimen.
What would you guys do in my situation?
Cheers in advance!

As an owner of a Standard F3 RSQ3 I wouldn't be overly worried - the std LED headlamps are still impressive (I had Matrix lights on a 2018 B9 RS4 so know what they are like to drive with) and I never feel "I wish I had Matrix lights now" ever.

As for the RS being worth significantly less in the future - yes it will but not for this reason. The residual value of cars is being held artificially high because of the electronic component shortage - historically RSQ3 have depreciated like the proverbial falling stone. I bought my 1st RSQ3 in 2016, it was a 2015 car with 3,000 miles/9 months old and it had lost £17k from its purchase price and I have to assume the dealer (Southend Audi) had some profit in the deal too.

F3 RSQ3' are absolutely fantastic vehicles - rapid, easy to live with on a day-to-day basis. Running costs are high - fuel economy (maybe a typo!) 27-28mpg, with low 30s on a long motorway runs, painful road fund licence and they eat tyres - just replaced at 15,000 miles. As the Q3 is essentially targeting the school-run wagon market the RS is really niche vehicle - the really quick drivers will want a legendary RS3 instead though they are actually missing a treat as an RSQ3 is sufficiently imperfect so as to be really good fun to drive - but make no mistake if not treated with respect it will stick you in a hedge in the blink of an eye. :thumbs up:

Honestly, if you are worrying about a financial loss on a car then truly don't buy new because you'll get hammered. I bought mine off the showroom floor in October 2020 (cancelled order) with nearly £10k discount for cash with a spec that included a 5 year/90,000 mile factory warranty and intend to keep it for at least 5 years, hoping that EVs will be a viable option by then.

So to your question - if you really want the car then wait for it to come and you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
Reactions: NWHighlander and paul wev
Either negotiate a hefty discount for the drop in spec or tell them to stick it where the sun doesn't shine and look elsewhere.

Reactions: cosmicblue and paul wev
Happening with a lot of brands, most are offering a fixed credit to the price for what they cannot spec. Its then down to you whether you buy it or not, but if not, what else are you going to get relatively quickly, unless you are happy with your current car...

Reactions: cosmicblue
Quite a tale, but not unusual these days.
I ordered a SE at end of Aug with a del requested for mid March, without any warning car went into build on 1st Oct and was del 24th Jan wow. I happened to just get in on a planned run of RSQ3s. Way to early. I think the RSQ3 is built in batches and you may have been placed in a following batch, perhaps. As Cosmic said it is a great car, my second F3 RSQ3, however if was told part of my spec was being removed I'd be v unhappy. Afterall you pay for what you want at a contract price. If the dealer cannot match it then he must do something to sweeten the sale or else you walk away. I personally would never feel totally happy with only part of the car I was contracted to receive, despite it's great credentials and a sweetener. The down side is you will have to join the back of the queue again for a new car from the next dealer you approach, unless a car is by some happy situation is waiting and looking for an owner. Good Luck.

Mike

At what point is the dealer likely to get in touch about spec changes?
I ordered an SQ5 (C+S) in July last year and although I haven't had a confirmed build week, it is provisionally set to week 10 (mid March), but I've not heard anything from the dealer either about confirmed build or spec changes and so am just keeping my fingers crossed

Also annoyed….

I have an RSQ3 Vorsprung on order since November. Due in build around week 20.
Went to the dealer today and was told there are internal memo’s being circulated in Audi that state they expect all matrix headlights will be replaced with standard led lights due to the chip shortage. Audi will be offering a £600 discount as compensation.

Not what I wanted to hear. Not even sure if that’s a good £ amount, but I wanted the lights. I want the top spec available. hate feeling like I haven’t quite got what I wanted.

I appreciate the frustration, but will the absence of matrix lights really make a fundamental difference to the RSQ3 experience?

I find them very useful up here on the bendy twisty roads in the N W Highlands, they do make a difference to my driving experience.

Mike

Reactions: beanjunior
Hey guys
First time posting here but looking for some advice.
In October '21 I ordered an RSQ3 Audi Sport Edition through main dealer and have had no end of trouble.
Build week has now moved 3 times from late 21 through to July 22, which I've been patient with given the current situation.
However...
I've just had an email from the dealership to say they don't have the parts for the Dark Tinted Matrix LED headlights and so are replacing with standard LED front and rear lights (non-Matrix), rear dynamic indicators (no front dynamic indicators) and DRL.
The email also says they're expecting parts to be available to resume manufacturing with the Matrix option in half 2 of 2022 but my dealer says my order will be automatically amended as its in progress.
In my mind this is a pretty massive change as those are options that are standard with the trim level I ordered but more importantly individually cost around £3-4k as an extra.
What should I be looking for here in terms of the order? I'm concerned that when it comes time to sell/replace the car it will be worth significantly less and will be a bit of an odd specimen.
What would you guys do in my situation?
Cheers in advance!
Hi,
Got this week also the unpleasant message that my Q3 can't be delivered with the dynamic indicators. Retrofitting when they become available is not an option and Audi doesn't give any discount on the invoice. If I want the dynamic blinkers, I can wait to have the car produced till 2023, that's the dealers estimate when the option will be available again. As from what I read BMW gives customers about 500 euro's when the car can't be produced as ordered due to chips shortage.
Frankly I think they should refund 100% the value of the option price according the option list.

Reactions: ToXa0406
Hi,
Got this week also the unpleasant message that my Q3 can't be delivered with the dynamic indicators. Retrofitting when they become available is not an option and Audi doesn't give any discount on the invoice. If I want the dynamic blinkers, I can wait to have the car produced till 2023, that's the dealers estimate when the option will be available again. As from what I read BMW gives customers about 500 euro's when the car can't be produced as ordered due to chips shortage.
Frankly I think they should refund 100% the value of the option price according the option list.
Hey,
Just wanted to ask, your option was normal LED lights, with rear dynamic signals or LED Matrix lights with rear, and front dynamic signals? If you had only LED lights, did your dealer told you your turn signals will be LED or how will it look like, because I can't even imagine, since with basic model you can have halogen turn signal, and all other options were dynamic turn signals untill now (in ther rear.) I added the option to have LED front and rear lights but couldnt have the dynamic turn signal , and there is no exact information about the turn signals are LED or anything.. I've exactly the same problem with normal Audi Q3..

Hey,
Just wanted to ask, your option was normal LED lights, with rear dynamic signals or LED Matrix lights with rear, and front dynamic signals? If you had only LED lights, did your dealer told you your turn signals will be LED or how will it look like, because I can't even imagine, since with basic model you can have halogen turn signal, and all other options were dynamic turn signals untill now (in ther rear.) I added the option to have LED front and rear lights but couldnt have the dynamic turn signal , and there is no exact information about the turn signals are LED or anything.. I've exactly the same problem with normal Audi Q3..
Hi,
T
Hey,
Hi,
My option was LED lights, with only rear dynamic signals. The dealer told me the look is identical, also LED in the rear, the signals won't blink from inside to outside.
Quote from the letter:"We would like to emphasise that the direction indicator lamps, brake lights rear lights, reversing lights and rear registration plate lights remain in LED technology. The design remains unchanged."

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2022-02-26 235731.png
    Schermafbeelding 2022-02-26 235731.png
    74.5 KB · Views: 99
Hi,
T

Hi,
My option was LED lights, with only rear dynamic signals. The dealer told me the look is identical, also LED in the rear, the signals won't blink from inside to outside.
Quote from the letter:"We would like to emphasise that the direction indicator lamps, brake lights rear lights, reversing lights and rear registration plate lights remain in LED technology. The design remains unchanged."
Thank you for your answer, I was so scared that I have to stuck with halogen indicators, since even my dealer couldn't answer that question yet, because it was so fresh news in my country at least. Anyway I guess this dynamic indicator cool thing to have, but we can live without it.. but still there is a hope, the dealer told if whenever It will be avaliable before the build date, he will add that option for me.. who knows..
Thanks again, i can stay calm now It was annoying me much.

Hi Audi forum, I note everyone describes a chip shortage. It should be noted that the shortage of chips to Audi and the VW group was due to their revised sales forecast due to Covid and the subsequent chip order reduction. These spare chips were absorbed into other markets. Now, with orders looking strong they don’t have enough. It’s their fault and they are now looking at it as a margin optimisation opportunity by deleting std safety options etc and only refunding marginal costs. However, if you purchased a based model and up spec’d something like matrix headlights you would have to pay full retail plus tax. Call them out on this.

Hi Audi forum, I note everyone describes a chip shortage. It should be noted that the shortage of chips to Audi and the VW group was due to their revised sales forecast due to Covid and the subsequent chip order reduction. These spare chips were absorbed into other markets. Now, with orders looking strong they don’t have enough. It’s their fault and they are now looking at it as a margin optimisation opportunity by deleting std safety options etc and only refunding marginal costs. However, if you purchased a based model and up spec’d something like matrix headlights you would have to pay full retail plus tax. Call them out on this.
I was in the chip manufacturing industry for some years and know the ropes. I have it on good authority that the above is in fact true. With no notice VAG dumped large contracts with many chip makers leaving them in the lurch. with massive holes in their order books. New customers were eventually found to plug these gaps and signed up. It is nigh on impossible to turn the clock back, you make a dishonourable act towards an Eastern business, it is indelible. You are out on your erse. So n ow VAG are enjoying the results. One glimmer on the distant horizon is that VAG may start up its own fabs as the EVs are greedy on chips. Time will tell.

Mike

China also closed semi-conductor plants due to Covid and severe weather in Texas in 2021 caused a number of factories to close due to grid power restrictions.
I work with a PCB assembler and the chip shortage is industry wide with delivery times on some chips that would normally take 4 weeks stretching out to 2026. There has also been significant component price increases.

China also closed semi-conductor plants due to Covid and severe weather in Texas in 2021 caused a number of factories to close due to grid power restrictions.
I work with a PCB assembler and the chip shortage is industry wide with delivery times on some chips that would normally take 4 weeks stretching out to 2026. There has also been significant component price increases.
Understand the supply challenges but the VW Group, including Audi, had secured enough and chose to reduce their allotment. It’s just poor planning and penny pinching. Now they are looking to profit. If I ordered a hamburger and paid $1 for bacon and they forgot to put the bacon on (or ran out) would you expect a $1 refund, a 30c refund (cost of the bacon), or get some bacon at all costs and get me what I paid for? They are choosing the 30c option…just lazy.

Understand the supply challenges but the VW Group, including Audi, had secured enough and chose to reduce their allotment. It’s just poor planning and penny pinching. Now they are looking to profit. If I ordered a hamburger and paid $1 for bacon and they forgot to put the bacon on (or ran out) would you expect a $1 refund, a 30c refund (cost of the bacon), or get some bacon at all costs and get me what I paid for? They are choosing the 30c option…just lazy.
I wasn't referring to what Audi or VAG should do about reducing the specification on their cars, but the cause of the shortage.

As I understand it, the car manufacturers have now secured their allocations of semi-conductors and the rest of the electronics industry is having to wait its turn before receiving their allocation.
The car industries other issue is that Covid arrived at the same time as they were switching over part of their production to electric vehicles which have an even higher semi conductor density, putting further strains on the supply chain as production increases.

So far, my dealer hasn't indicated that there will be any spec changes on my SQ5 and that it is expected around the end of April (was ordered July last year), so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. After trundling around in a 15 year old diesel Focus since last October I have to say matrix headlights or not, it's going to feel like a huge improvement!!

Here's the spec change email I've just received from my dealer. Note my order is a Black Edition without the Matrix LEDs so just the dynamic rear indicators affected.

We are writing to inform you that due to the current global shortages on semi-conductors, we can no longer build your Q3 with the following specifications.
  • Matrix LED headlights with dynamic front and rear indicators.
  • HD Matrix LED headlights with dynamic front and rear indicators.
  • Q3 and Q3 Sportback models (excluding RS) with dynamic rear indicators.
What this means for you...
  • Q3 and Q3 Sportback (Sport, S line and Black Edition) LED headlights with LED daytime running lights and dynamic rear indicator (PX2) currently standard equipment, will be replaced with LED headlights with LED daytime running lights, LED rear lights and LED rear indicators (PHM). The design of the headlight and Daytime Running Light is not impacted, only rear dynamic indicators are being removed.
  • Q3 and Q3 Sportback (Vorsprung) Orders are likely to be delayed until the second half of 2022.
  • RS Q3 and RS Q3 Sportback (Audi Sport Edition and Vorsprung) Dark tinted Matrix LED headlights with front and rear dynamic indicators (PXC), currently standard equipment, will be replaced with LED headlights LED daytime running lights, LED rear lights, dynamic rear indicators and High beam assist (PHS).
Current estimations are that supply restrictions will last until the second half of 2022 on Q3 and RS Q3 for Matrix LED headlights and dynamic rear indicators.

The price of your car will not change and as a gesture of Goodwill, we would like to offer you £100 as recognition of changes to the specification of your new car.

matrix headlight are not black inside and led silver? like on rs3 ? if so its big downgrade

2 thoughts on this.

1. the manufacturer reserves the right to modify the specification at any time and technically don’t have to offer anything by way of compensation. This has been printed on brochures and in small print of contracts for years.

2. JLR have turned from a £300m loss on 2020 to a modest £9m profit in 2021 by focusing all the equipment into high margin high spec models, like FFRR, Velar and Evoque. You can’t order a base spec model, dealers are turning people away or saying they won’t get them till late 2023 earliest. VAG at no different.

Fight for a better comp/price reduction.

@Code, What date did you get that update?

I have an RSQ3 Sportback in order and just received the following update, but it is from 10th Feb from Audi.

Update 10 February 2022: You can now raise quotes on Q7 and 03 models. The error
caused by the system change has been resolved.
The current global shortages on semi-conductors mean we can no longer build Q3 and
Q7 models with:
Matrix LED headlights with dynamic front and rear indicators
OR
HD Matrix LED headlights with dynamic front and rear indicators
We have also been advised that we cannot build any Q3 and Q3 Sportback models
(including RS) with dynamic rear indicators
Current estimations are that supply restrictions on Q7 Matrix LED headlights and
dynamic rear indicators will continue until the beginning of 2023. On Q3 and R$ Q3 we
estimate that the restriction on Matrix LED headlights and dynamic rear indicators will
last until the second half of 2022.
What this means
Q7 (Sport, S line, Black Edition, SQ7, SQ7 Black Edition, TFSI e Competition)
Matrix LED headlights with front and rear dynamic indicators (PXC), currently standard
equipment, will be replaced with LED headlights, LED rear lights, standard LED
indicators and High Beam Assist (PHS)
Q7 (Vorsprung, SQ7 Vorsprung, TFSI e Competition Vorsprung)
Standard HD Matrix LED headlights with Audi Laser light (PXB) will be replaced with LED
headlights with LED rear lights, standard LED indicators and High Beam Assist (PHR)
Q3 and Q3 Sportback (Sport, S line, Black Edition and RS Q3)
LED headlights with LED daytime running lights and dynamic rear indicator (PX2)
currently standard equipment, will be replaced with LED headlights with LED daytime
running lights, LED rear lights and LED rear indicators (PHM). The design of the
headlight and Daytime Running Light is not impacted, only rear dynamic indicators are
being removed
Q3 and Q3 Sportback (Vorsprung)
Vorsprung trim is currently closed however there are a number of customer orders still
awaiting a build week. These orders will not be amended and Matrix beam will remain
on the order. This is because other specification restrictions on this trim means we
cannot guarantee that removing this option will shorten delivery times. However, please
make sure you manage customer expectations by advising them their order is likely to
be delayed until the second half of 2022.
RS Q3 and R$ Q3 Sportback (Audi Sport Edition and Vorsprung)
Dark tinted Matrix LED headlights with front and rear dynamic indicators (PXC),
currently standard equipment, will be replaced with LED headlights LED daytime
running lights, LED rear lights and High beam assist (PHM + PHS).
Unless stated otherwise (see above), all existing orders not yet built will be amended,
and these new option codes will be forced when placing new factory orders in SLI.

Not sure what the hell to do. And neither don my dealership. They said they fully understand I may cancel my order, but no idea if that helps me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an RSQ3 Sportback in order and just received the following update, but it is from 10th Feb from Audi.

I got the email on the 1st March, my order went in on 8th Feb. I've begrudgingly decided to suck it up since it's just the rear dynamics. I don't know what I'd do on an RSQ3 order though, that's a much bigger loss.

Update 10 February 2022: You can now raise quotes on Q7 and 03 models. The error
caused by the system change has been resolved.
The current global shortages on semi-conductors mean we can no longer build Q3 and
Q7 models with:
Matrix LED headlights with dynamic front and rear indicators
OR
HD Matrix LED headlights with dynamic front and rear indicators
We have also been advised that we cannot build any Q3 and Q3 Sportback models
(including RS) with dynamic rear indicators
Current estimations are that supply restrictions on Q7 Matrix LED headlights and
dynamic rear indicators will continue until the beginning of 2023. On Q3 and R$ Q3 we
estimate that the restriction on Matrix LED headlights and dynamic rear indicators will
last until the second half of 2022.
What this means
Q7 (Sport, S line, Black Edition, SQ7, SQ7 Black Edition, TFSI e Competition)
Matrix LED headlights with front and rear dynamic indicators (PXC), currently standard
equipment, will be replaced with LED headlights, LED rear lights, standard LED
indicators and High Beam Assist (PHS)
Q7 (Vorsprung, SQ7 Vorsprung, TFSI e Competition Vorsprung)
Standard HD Matrix LED headlights with Audi Laser light (PXB) will be replaced with LED
headlights with LED rear lights, standard LED indicators and High Beam Assist (PHR)
Q3 and Q3 Sportback (Sport, S line, Black Edition and RS Q3)
LED headlights with LED daytime running lights and dynamic rear indicator (PX2)
currently standard equipment, will be replaced with LED headlights with LED daytime
running lights, LED rear lights and LED rear indicators (PHM). The design of the
headlight and Daytime Running Light is not impacted, only rear dynamic indicators are
being removed
Q3 and Q3 Sportback (Vorsprung)
Vorsprung trim is currently closed however there are a number of customer orders still
awaiting a build week. These orders will not be amended and Matrix beam will remain
on the order. This is because other specification restrictions on this trim means we
cannot guarantee that removing this option will shorten delivery times. However, please
make sure you manage customer expectations by advising them their order is likely to
be delayed until the second half of 2022.
RS Q3 and R$ Q3 Sportback (Audi Sport Edition and Vorsprung)
Dark tinted Matrix LED headlights with front and rear dynamic indicators (PXC),
currently standard equipment, will be replaced with LED headlights LED daytime
running lights, LED rear lights and High beam assist (PHM + PHS).
Unless stated otherwise (see above), all existing orders not yet built will be amended,
and these new option codes will be forced when placing new factory orders in SLI.

Not sure what the hell to do. And neither don my dealership. They said they fully understand I may cancel my order, but no idea if that helps me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On balance I personally would stay with the order despite the spec change. I am on my second F3 RSQ3 Sport Edition and of course really enjoy them, my latest came in late Feb just before all the drop in spec, I was lucky. For you, all other aspects of the car are undiminished and it is still a very pleasurable car to drive. I would approach my dealer and squeeze him for extended warranty, free servicing, accessories (which are cost to him) etc and anything else you want, make the list as long as you like. The downside of cancelling is that he can probably sell the car in a heartbeat and if you stick with any new car from whomever you will join the back of the queue again with an uncertain outlook on specs.
Keep the faith.
Mike

Reactions: JohnNW