Chipped Windscreen Advice

wolfie138

Reaction score
Hi all,

driving home tonight i got hit by a chunk of stone that's put a little scratch/chip in the windscreen, just about dead centre of the glass, only a couple mm wide and about 5mm long. just looking for advice on fixing it, did a quick Autoglass thing, they said £77 (!) does anyone have other recommendations? i've seen some DIY kits advertised, dunno if they're worth it, would kinda prefer a pro job.

TIA

Have you tried asking your insurance company?

£77 sounds like a new screen excess, the chip might be repairable and if you use the company recommended by your insurance company it probably wont cost you anything.
Either way, chip repair or replacement screen, its not going to affect your no claims.

Will not affect no claims bonus but you must declare it when asked on renewal if you have had any claims. Should not affect your premium but could affect a future claim if you have failed to disclose it.

Please DO NOT use a DIY kit. They're crap.

I repair windscreens for a living, their are plenty of independent screen repair people/companies out their. Give them a shout in you area.

You'll be looking at half that previously mentioned cost from a decent independent repairer.
Thats if you can't get them to do it off your insurance FOC or with a small excess.

Tom

As above. The kits are definitely a complete waste of time. Even those adverts where a chip disappearers were taken off the air due to false advertising..
Will need a new windscreen unfortunately! I had this done earlier in the year and it cost £70 excess. The end result was great however don't believe that it doesn't affect your no claims though! It is recorded as a claim even if it doesn't increase the renewal premium!! One to check if you have a limit on how many claims to protect this discount..

cheers. can't see it needing a new windscreen, the damage is well w/in all the limits mentioned on the various sites. will just pay for it myself, i have enough issues w/ insurance companies etc and don't want to add a claim to my history for the sake of this kind of damage.

well it's a bit unclear from the sites; some say cracks aren't repairable. mine looks like a crack, in that it's thin and vertical as opposed to circular, but it doesn't go through the whole depth so i don't know what they actually define as a crack. got an appt booked, will just see what they say.

I had a crack repaired a few years back. Was hardly visible afterwards.
While driving along a mate spotted the tiny mark on the screen, I told him I it was a screen repair. He said he had heard they still crack if you tap the screen. So he tapped it with his knuckle, the screen cracked!!

I had a crack repaired a few years back. Was hardly visible afterwards.
While driving along a mate spotted the tiny mark on the screen, I told him I it was a screen repair. He said he had heard they still crack if you tap the screen. So he tapped it with his knuckle, the screen cracked!!

Ouch, is he still a mate? lol
JG

oh well, guy turned up today as they'd had some cancellations, took one look and said it was a scratch, nowt to do. said you couldn't buff it out but it wouldn't get any worse, so it's canny i'm not paying any dosh or making claims, but now my girl has a scratch on the screen that it probably going to constantly annoy me :-(

I also polish out scratches, wiper marks and damage .... It is possible to have the scratch removed and be totally undetectable

Their might be someone in what ever area you live that can also do it ?!?

I repair windscreens for a living, their are plenty of independent screen repair people/companies out their. Give them a shout in you area.
Tom
Slightly off topic so I hope you don't mind but I need a new windscreen to complete my auto lights and wipers retrofit.
I'm not really interested in going the insurance route as, although I have a few chips that would probably warrant a new screen, the excess is £130
Is there any reason to go with a genuine screen apart from the Audi stamp?
I've been quoted £160 fitted for a generic screen or £400 + fitting for an Audi one!

Slightly off topic so I hope you don't mind but I need a new windscreen to complete my auto lights and wipers retrofit.
I'm not really interested in going the insurance route as, although I have a few chips that would probably warrant a new screen, the excess is £130
Is there any reason to go with a genuine screen apart from the Audi stamp?
I've been quoted £160 fitted for a generic screen or £400 + fitting for an Audi one!
This rings a bell. Let me have a dig around the forum. I remember some guy having an issue with a non Audi screen. Give me a bit.

Reactions: -Ju-
Their is a quality difference between genuine and non-genuine.

Both the fitment and glass structure isn't as good in my opinion as Genuine OEM.
When removing wiper marks for example, the glass is tougher to get an initial cut compared to non-genuine that seem to instantly cut in.

Reactions: -Ju-
Thanks I'll have a read through
Been sat on this for 12 months I do really need to get it done!

one of the scratch repair places i looked at quoted a more expensive amount for a "rains sensor" windscreen on the Audi - well mine has the rain detection, i didn't know the windscreen was any different?

They are different screens, think it has to do with where sensors and cameras are depending on options. They took 3 goes to get my wife's screen changed. Think it was also acoustic. Poor fitter had been given the wrong information by the office!

My screen is not Audi but the only difference was the badge. Probably saved a few hundred quid. However fitted perfect. Is like driving a new car... Don't get robbed into always having to buy Audi..