Clarkson on the RS3 saloon

Status
Not open for further replies.

glospete

Reaction score
JC has his usual tongue in cheek article about the RS3 this week

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...q?shareToken=69199b1eb602cfe5f388b740b4c1d0a8

No real surprise but he didn’t like it. Quite what his criticism is of the sat nav I don’t know as IMHO my PFL A3 has one of the easiest systems I have ever encountered, and with Google Earth, one of the best looking (visually).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well I think the Sat Nav is great, must be because it’s Clarkson, the fool of all sat navs.

Worse than a Prius? Can’t even be bothered to argue it, grrrr car reviewers.

I found the sat nav on the MIB2 rubbish and over complicated to be honest. MIB1 sat nav is much better imo.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Rob2k68
He does say it’s a joy to drive and beautifully made, I wonder what his gripe is with the sat nav, I find it very intuitive and easy to read whilst driving.

I drove from Cheltenham to Halifax yesterday and the nav got me to the car park postcode no problems at all.

He likes the TTRS 'a lot' so happy with that.

Reactions: TYb
I don't like the Sat nav on face lift either, my sepang Sat nav was far easier too use

Reactions: Matt Titanium and SILVAF0XX
Oh, I didn't know they had changed it. Best keep my PFL then! I really like the sat nav.

It's more long winded to enter a postcode and also changing the source on media mode, ye don't have the 4 hot keys surrounding the MMI anymore just 2 keys, one either side of which you click on to enter another menu, also when playing a cd or from a sd card the display shows less of the play list as the font is larger plus the album. Art covers take up more room on the screen than necessary, ideally l would like to delete the album art..... Whilst playing music

Reactions: glospete
Controversial opinion alert - I’m one of the few who prefer the new TG lineup. They’re still fun and sometimes silly but the content/drives are more interesting and the main bonus is I don’t have to watch the weapons-grade spunktrumpet that is Jeremy Clarkson waffling on, usually in a similar vein to an over-intelligent, over-vocal excited ten year-old.
Rant over!

Reactions: richinsoton
If that was a road test report!!! :blink: ...about two sentences on the car and a lot of :blahblah1: on bicycles etc.
Methinks Mr. Clarkson is more suited to having a dust-up pub fight with TV producers rather than trying to write something intelligent about a car's attributes and faults.

Reactions: Evil Diesel, richinsoton and Phutters
As much as I like Clarkson for his entertainment value this thread has probably already had more bandwidth than any recent car review by JC deserves

Reactions: xpoweruk, AudiNutta and FBF01
He used to be quite funny but his wit is now about as sharp as his driving skills have always been.

Reactions: batch
I like his writing style but the truth is he spends most of every review talking about something else and somehow faintly connecting them.

He probably had carbon ceramic breaks which is why they squeaked; and the sat nav and phone controls are fiddly which is why I use Android Auto.

So take it with a pinch of salt...

Not sure why he gave 3 out of 5m no way 4 of 5 at least.

Its great but I have to agree with his 2 points. The mmi compared to my s3 8v 2014 model is far far worse. It looks less premium as the menu doesn't fill the screen fully and also if you go beyond the first and last options the surround tries to go up or down and looks naff

Secondly i have sorted my audi connect issue with help from the dealer and audi uk training but the amount of steps to sort it are crazy. I will postcthe steps in seperate thread as apparently its a common problem. Moreover tte instructions from the audi uk trainer were wrong.

Thirdly, i get the brakes screech too

It’s actually not a bad review, and I do have some agreement. On both my previous S3 Saloon and my current S5 Sportback the brakes to squeak, especially when cold. Doesn’t affect their power, but annoying all the same. The satnav, once up and running is superb, but I agree at times it is annoying to input postcodes etc especially using the track pad. He actually praises the speed, cornering, ride and quality of the car, but Clarkson never does a ‘classic’ rounded car review, that’s not what they pay him for. There are 200 reviews out there more balanced, it is what is it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a fan of clarkson and i like the points he makes about the non car stuff but he should some proper car reviews

I found the sat nav on the MIB2 rubbish and over complicated to be honest. MIB1 sat nav is much better imo.
Agreed, the sat nav in my oldish 2014 S3 had an easy to use GUI than updated one in my FL rs3. It's almost like they've deliberately made it harder to use whilst you're driving.

I'm be in the studio audience for the Grand Tour recording on Wednesday this week, I'll see if I can have a word...

Reactions: FBF01, AudiNutta, Joetidman and 1 other person
I'm be in the studio audience for the Grand Tour recording on Wednesday this week, I'll see if I can have a word...

If he asks you for some food, just give it to him

Reactions: AudiNutta
It's more long winded to enter a postcode and also changing the source on media mode, ye don't have the 4 hot keys surrounding the MMI anymore just 2 keys, one either side of which you click on to enter another menu, also when playing a cd or from a sd card the display shows less of the play list as the font is larger plus the album. Art covers take up more room on the screen than necessary, ideally l would like to delete the album art..... Whilst playing music

You don't need to use huge amount of sub menus to set a route, you just flick the nav button in the centre console, then flick it again, and you can then type (draw) the post code using the new touch pad, it's the easiest system I have ever had! I assume my S3 had the same system as the PFL RS3, and I definitely prefer this new system.

You don't need to use huge amount of sub menus to set a route, you just flick the nav button in the centre console, then flick it again, and you can then type (draw) the post code using the new touch pad, it's the easiest system I have ever had! I assume my S3 had the same system as the PFL RS3, and I definitely prefer this new system.

I prefer it too, but it is definitely more complex with all of the options available.

Lucky you!! Did you apply on the amazon site? If so, what did you put in your application to enable you to be picked? :(

When is the TGT starting up?

Ok I'll try the drawing way.

Ok I'll try the drawing way.

Everyone is different, but I find the touchpad so simple, The only time I struggled with it was trying to do capitals / lower case for passwords to my audi!!

Reactions: teslaboy
I think you lot are looking at this wrong..

If an overweight, unwell, cantankerous, attention seeking, 57 year old REALLY LIKED the car then I would be MORE worried!

Reactions: glospete, QuattroCalum, DrEskimo and 1 other person
I think you lot are looking at this wrong..

If an overweight, unwell, cantankerous, attention seeking, 57 year old REALLY LIKED the car then I would be MORE worried!
Starting to read this and I thought you were describing yourself. But then I realised you were taking about Clarkson !

Reactions: Evotion and D0C
Quite ironic that Clarkson is on Amazon Prime because he is clearly past his prime.

Lucky you!! Did you apply on the amazon site? If so, what did you put in your application to enable you to be picked?
Yeah, on the Amazon site. That's closed now but there's still applications to be had on the Applause Store site. I guess I just sweet talked them!

Yeah, on the Amazon site. That's closed now but there's still applications to be had on the Applause Store site. I guess I just sweet talked them!

Lucky you! I tried to put in a big application last year but didn’t get any joy so this year it was something along the lines of “life long fan of Top Gear and the trio”, short and simple... didn’t get me in.

JC has his usual tongue in cheek article about the RS3 this week

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...q?shareToken=69199b1eb602cfe5f388b740b4c1d0a8

No real surprise but he didn’t like it. Quite what his criticism is of the sat nav I don’t know as IMHO my PFL A3 has one of the easiest systems I have ever encountered, and with Google Earth, one of the best looking (visually).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In my opinion Clarkson is a Tory Brexiteer prat! I want my country back and I love my RS3 from the EU!!

In my opinion Clarkson is a Tory Brexiteer prat! I want my country back and I love my RS3 from the EU!!
If you want your country back then support us leaving the EU and not being ruled and dictated to by unelected bureaucrats...my fellow Panther black RS3 friend ;)

Reactions: jimojameso, teslaboy and glospete
IMG 8158

Reactions: AudiNutta
All us German car fans need to be aware of the risk of Brexit. the £ was 1.4 Euros 2.5 years ago. In June 2016 it was 1.30, today it is circa 1.10. The cost of our babies is increasing and that is before the possible WTO taxes if Tresemee and her hopeless mates decide to EXit undemocratically with no deal. Maybe not the place for extensive Brexit talks but MEPs are elected by us, just sad that muppets like Forage do not take their roles seriously. Just my 2p!

I could write a book on my thoughts but the weak currency is not necessarily a bad thing, especially for shareholders in foreign stocks (we'll all have some in our pensions etc) and for our exports. And as for how Brussels has behaved since the vote, it has just made me even more sure we're better off out, even if it means I have to buy a Jaguar F-Type as a stop gap!
Farage is no worse than Drunk Junck(er) ;)

Reactions: glospete
I could write a book on my thoughts but the weak currency is not necessarily a bad thing, especially for shareholders in foreign stocks (we'll all have some in our pensions etc) and for our exports. And as for how Brussels has behaved since the vote, it has just made me even more sure we're better off out, even if it means I have to buy a Jaguar F-Type as a stop gap!
Farage is no worse than Drunk Junck(er) ;)

Pointless arguing . You will see!

Reactions: D0C
Totally agree - especially when there is a lot of nonsense being traded.
In other forums moderators are quick to quell any political posts, but maybe here in anticipation of impending tariffs on the RS3 to inflate the already high price to kill the market altogether, they have all gone home..?

Reactions: RGBARGEE
Status
Not open for further replies.