Cleaning inside your wheels

Hmmm...
ohmy.gif

Surprised they didn't offer it to me when they went searching, to keep me in with their group... Especially as they managed to "find" a TiS with Cinnamon (
shocked.gif
) with all the extras, unregistered!

Hi can you guys share your tips on keeping the inside edges of rims clean please? I've just bought a set of new wheels and would like to keep them looking pristine!

I wash the surface with Turtle wax extreme shampoo followed by brake dust cleaner/polish, but I will be using some Gold class soon too! But how about the inner edges around the brakes? Do you use jet wash or just an old sponge because there isn't much clearance to get your hand inside! Just thought they may be a tip you guys you use! I'm not a fan of using jet washers on either then paintwork or wheels!!

Morning. Tough one really, I use Wonder Wheels (soon to be Muc Off or some stuff Berkshire Flipper is touting) for the alloys and I use it along with a selection of brushes to get inside the alloy to give the inside wall a clean. A tough job and strainful one, due to the Avus design. All I can suggest is either get a selection of brushes and some good wheel cleaner and do the above or jack the car up and whip of the wheel themselves to get in there and give it a good clean. Unfortunately both ways take time and effort to keep em clean.

If anyone knows any better please unveil your secret.

Ta

Get away from the standard pads and discs, and go for something that doesn't generate that horrible black sticky brake dust - many of the aftermarket discs/pads just generate black dust which washes off with car shampoo & water...

Depends what wheels you have, if its the ones in your picture then it looks like you should be able to get your hands in to clean them. If you have Avus then it's going to be a bit harder.

If you keep on top of it then just a wipe with wheel cleaner and rinse will do the trick but thats still going to mean getting your hand in the gaps.

The only way to keep them totally pristine is going to be by taking the wheels off every so often and using wheel cleaner (yes Swissol, Jester /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) and maybe something like a clay bar to remove any tar and oil spots.

Then i guarantee you'll kerb one.

good luck

Thanks flipper, suprisingly my old Kahn alloys (in the picture), were quite hard to keep clean because of the intricate design. The outside just wiped off because the polished surface! I now have the RS6 replicas which give more hand clearance then the Avus and a simple design design which can be cleaned easily!

Its just the inside walls that prove to be tricky to get to - can't be asked to take off the wheels - far too much work in my opinion, think I'll try using different size brushes and sponges as mentioned! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hi Naresh,

Would steer clear of Wonder Wheels as its acid based. I use the Muc Off Ultimate Wheel Cleaning kit, which comes with a selection of brushes etc in the pack which would probably get in behind the wheel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You can get it off my site heres a link

Dont forget you get a 5% discount as well which is now automated all you need to do is put in the word as.net in the offer code on the shopping cart page, hit update and your discount will come off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regards,

John

If you clean the wheels once thoroughly and then wipe Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection all over them, then you won't need any chemicals to clean them in future.

I buff the outside but leave the inside unbuffed. When it comes to cleaning (either through spokes or with the wheels off) then it's simply a case of normal shampoo and a sponge and it comes straight off.

p.s. Don't use the sponge for anyhing else!!