Cleaning Plenum Grommets - Audi A4 B6 - Does Anyone Have a New Guide?

Springer*

Reaction score
Hi there,

I appear to be suffering the symptoms of having blocked drainage grommets in the plenum area by the battery in my 2003 A4 B6 and have referred to the threads on this site that link to a guide somebody has put together to resolve the problem on a VW Passat.

The guide is really good and in principle shows what the problem is and how it can be cured, but the Passat is a lot different to my Audi A4 and I am struggling getting past the metal pipes that run along the front of the battery and are completely in the way of the bolt that holds the battery clamp in place.

Does anyone have any other picture guides for solving this problem that are more specific to the Audi A4 that might be able to help me?

Cheers,

J:)

I did mine about a week ago. I found that a long ball-ended Allen key was the easiest way to undo it. It's not the easiest.

Last edited:
Now's your chance to contribute! :thumbsup:

I just used a flexible extension on my screwdriver to squeeze down in there to do it. It is a fiddle though.

I used a screwdriver to push it out out it went under servo so I left it there
It's clear though

Deffo another for the Allen key with the ball type end so much easier also another one hear who never re fitted the buggers after either just leave them out

Get under the car with long nose long reach pliers and pull the gromits out from under neath. Takes minutes once car up on stands.

Just be ready for a face full of cold water.

Lol iv actually seen some one in my local mot place do that to his Passat was soooooo funny lol

Managed to undo the battery clamp but the battery wouldn't budge so I reached under the plenum from in front of the expansion tank and got just far enough to dislodge the blockage in the grommet, couldn't remove the grommet but got plenty of water out.
Couldn't get to the grommet under the servo, too much engine in the way! Seems to have fixed the problem for now though.
So if you're tall and skinny like me it's worth reaching under there and having a fumble...:whistle2:

Useful replies folks. Thanks for this!

I think I may try and have a go at the pulling out of the grommets from underneath sometime soon.

I've also ordered some long round-ended allen keys from eBay too.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers,

J:)

I have always done mine with a bottle brush and flush with a hose