Climate control flaps ticking/creaking

Wibbly

Reaction score
I've recently noticed what are presumambly the flaps directing airflow deep inside the climate control gubbins beginning to creak/tick as they operate sometimes. Not noticed it before.

Easy to fix?
Normal?
Terminal?

Reactions: SDB
pollen filter changed? usually if not changed regularly debris gets in and screws up the flaps and/or blower.

take out the filter, vacuum out the junk, new filter in and blower on full blast in all directions

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

I've changed my pollen filter regularly, more often than the service schedule suggests, but I get the creaking and groaning from the climate control flaps too.
It's been happening for a while now but everything works as it should. Probably needs a touch of silicon grease applied to the moving /rotating parts, but how to gain access?

It's been happening for a while now but everything works as it should. Probably needs a touch of silicon grease applied to the moving /rotating parts, but how to gain access?

Exactly re how to get to it - my worry is also if it's seals on the flaps inside begining to 'creep' and causing too much friction. No way to tell, and sounds expensive to fix, not least because of the labour to get to it. At least if it could be got to reasonably easily, a DIYer could investigate and create a fix. Something to do instead of driving the car anywhere now we've nowhere we can go!? But how?

I had this on my Touareg V10, creaking flaps when the climate system was set to auto. I ended up stripping the dash and using silicone spray grease on all the flap pivot points I could get to. I worked and no more plastic creak noises, hurrah!

I ended up stripping the dash and using silicone spray grease on all the flap pivot points I could get to. I worked and no more plastic creak noises, hurrah!

Anyone seen any videos on how to strip the dash in an A3? :fearscream: