Climate Control Unit Swap

jomnhta

Reaction score
Does any body know will a 02' A4/S4 climate control unit fit the 02' 8L S3? I find one on a parts store online. The control unit is exactly the same layout but I don't know if the plastic trim at both side will fit the S3. Anyone got some idea?

S3 / A3 ones come up on ebay sometimes just get one of them. My buttons are scratched considering doing the same.

i want to put a newer shape one in my s3 , as i have the old piano black one in mine , i have got the newer centr console , what is involved in this , do you have to chop some wires and that , or is it a straight plug in

mwstewart said:
It will work if you trim it to fit but you'll need to recode it for an A3 8L

Ooh, why it has to re-coded? By a vag-com? I thought its just a straight plug in

From the photo the seller provided, there is some screws behind the unit that I think is for the attachement of the climate control unit "face plate" Hope I am right. I will give it a try.

jomnhta said:
Ooh, why it has to re-coded? By a vag-com? I thought its just a straight plug in

From the photo the seller provided, there is some screws behind the unit that I think is for the attachement of the climate control unit "face plate" Hope I am right. I will give it a try.

The S3/A3 8L uses a 'cut down' version of the Audi Climate Control system, A4's use a set of extra sensors and actuators which are fed in on an additional plug at the back of the unit. A3's have 4 multiplugs and A4's use 5.

You need to tell the unit it's for an A3 otherwise you'll end up with a load of logged DTC's relating to missing sensors etc.

But if you're replacing it because your existing unit is broken then you should consider a remanufacture first. I sent mine to a company called BBA Reman, 5working days and £150 later I have a perfect unit again. Beats the £500 audi wanted for a new part.

so mw, how to reprogram the unit? Shed me some light please...

Cheers,

Sorry for teh delay, I've had a look for the PDF that I used to re-code my A4 unit, but unfortuantely it seems to be one things I lost in a HDD failiure last year. I'll do some digging on the net and see if I can come up with anything useful.

I could do with the re programming codes as well. I've got a new unit but haven't got the code and it's getting hot now!!