Cloned car ?

Daniel43CR

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone can help (poor picture) but I have just received a Parking Charge notice. Same number plate but in a different part of England. I have put a picture on here of the photo they sent (which is rubbish) to judge what type of Audi its is. To me it looks like an older model than mine with different bonnet, bumper and wheels. I have informed police and got a CRN and I have informed the parking company that I (obviously) contest the charge. Wondered if anyone was able to tell what the car and alloy wheels are. Cheers, Dan

Attachments

• 20210811_135916.jpg
    20210811_135916.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 194
  • 20210811_140028.jpg
    20210811_140028.jpg
    820.5 KB · Views: 182
Annoyingly, my vehicle now has a police marker on it. What joy. The alloys look like a five spoke with black paint on - I have seen this type somewhere but cannot for the life on me remember who supplies them and what they are called. Just wondered if anyone could help. Cheers again, Dan

That is a A3 8V & you have a A3 8Y I'm assuming ? The alloys are replica "RS3 style" alloys as I've seen them on a few A3s

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Daniel43CR
That is a A3 8V & you have a A3 8Y I'm assuming ? The alloys are replica "RS3 style" alloys as I've seen them on a few A3s

Yes I have the 8Y. Many thanks for your help on this. Dan

or like these

or maybe these ones off an S3 of the same model also?

Attachments

• 20210811_154700.jpg
    20210811_154700.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 156
Is your car a 2nd hand car by any chance or brand new fresh from factory. Surely the 8V in the pic can't be having a 70/21 plate?

My car was a used/ex-demo car and is the 8Y model from Solihull Audi. The parking offence took place (2/7/21) one week after I had got the car. So the registered keeper at the time was probably still Audi (I had not received the V5 at that point). The parking company originally wrote to Audi (the registered keeper at that time I presume) to find who was responsible for this vehicle (me). Audi must have given them my details (with my surname spelt incorrectly) and never thought to let me know at that time or even think how weird (considering I live in Bristol and the fine was in Leicester) it is that I would have got this parking fine.

I have checked the V5 VIN against my vehicle (I have found 3 places on the car where it is located) and they all match. What fun this purchase has been doh. Cheers Dan

Also, mine is a 70 plate.
Is your car a 2nd hand car by any chance or brand new fresh from factory. Surely the 8V in the pic can't be having a 70/21 plate?
Mine is a 70 plate. The car now has a 'police marker' on it. Guess that means I will be pulled over every time I have to drive it. Although not at the time of the offence (3hrs earlier) I was actually at an appointment in hospital in Bristol having a very painful EMS/EMG test. Cheers, Dan

Like these ?
To me they look more like this but can't be 100% sure as the picture doesn't show the alloys in great detail

Also, mine is a 70 plate.

Mine is a 70 plate. The car now has a 'police marker' on it. Guess that means I will be pulled over every time I have to drive it. Although not at the time of the offence (3hrs earlier) I was actually at an appointment in hospital in Bristol having a very painful EMS/EMG test. Cheers, Dan

Yes, more likely to get pulled over but would hope that they’d cross reference to your home area so that would apply more if the reg was pinged in another part of the country away from home.

You could change your registration number so the clone then comes up uninsured. It would also avoid the situation of someone making an insurance claim against your policy if the cloned car was involved in a bump - that’s not something you want to discover at insurance renewal time.

Reactions: toooldforboyracing, Daniel43CR, Sparks43 and 1 other person
Could be wrong but was under the impression that parking PCNs (had a few, def my car and def my fault) would not have markers on them, but more serious offenses like speeding / running red lights would?

Could be wrong but was under the impression that parking PCNs (had a few, def my car and def my fault) would not have markers on them, but more serious offenses like speeding / running red lights would?
Marker would have been put on when reported suspected cloned plate to police - not due to PCN

Marker would have been put on when reported suspected cloned plate to police - not due to PCN
Yes that is exactly why. I told the police that there was obviously a clone of my vehicle in the Leicester area committing lots of crimes or a dodgy dealer/seller . Cheers, Dan

Yes, more likely to get pulled over but would hope that they’d cross reference to your home area so that would apply more if the reg was pinged in another part of the country away from home.

You could change your registration number so the clone then comes up uninsured. It would also avoid the situation of someone making an insurance claim against your policy if the cloned car was involved in a bump - that’s not something you want to discover at insurance renewal time.
Changing the registration sounds like it would cost me money. I have lost enough money buying the audi let alone paying for a new reg lol. Good point on the insurance issue there. That had not even occurred to me, time to give them a call too. Cheers, Dan

Does the DVLA have provisions to change a licence plate in a cloned plate scenario? The only one I can think of is a personalised plate, however that is a higher cost method to pursue. Also the point abut finding out there’s a claim against you during renewal, wouldn’t a cloned plate claim be notified to you in some way? Whilst I know reporting it is proactive, but isn’t the backstop here that the insurer will get a claim and they’ll write you a letter?

Was the parking offence in Birmingham?. Pretty common, there are a lot of cars driving around with cloned plates. Had two parking tickets for my TT shortly after I bought it both in the middle of Birmingham. Had to do the same as yourself and report it to the police and get a crime number. Never had anything more . I suspect a lot more people are getting parking tickets and congestion charge notifications these days. It's so easy to go on autotrader , Ebay etc find a similar spec car , same color etc the check on line if it's taxed, insured etc. You can order a set of show plates off Ebay for not a lot of money and drive around for a few months before changing the plates again. 4 or 5 sets of plates a year a lot cheaper than tax , insurance and parking / congestion fees.

Reactions: Daniel43CR and STmichael
Does the DVLA have provisions to change a licence plate in a cloned plate scenario? The only one I can think of is a personalised plate, however that is a higher cost method to pursue. Also the point abut finding out there’s a claim against you during renewal, wouldn’t a cloned plate claim be notified to you in some way? Whilst I know reporting it is proactive, but isn’t the backstop here that the insurer will get a claim and they’ll write you a letter?
Yes, that makes sense. I would expect some sort of correspondence from insurer in the event of a claim. No idea if DVLA can change plates. Cheers, Dan

Was the parking offence in Birmingham?. Pretty common, there are a lot of cars driving around with cloned plates. Had two parking tickets for my TT shortly after I bought it both in the middle of Birmingham. Had to do the same as yourself and report it to the police and get a crime number. Never had anything more . I suspect a lot more people are getting parking tickets and congestion charge notifications these days. It's so easy to go on autotrader , Ebay etc find a similar spec car , same color etc the check on line if it's taxed, insured etc. You can order a set of show plates off Ebay for not a lot of money and drive around for a few months before changing the plates again. 4 or 5 sets of plates a year a lot cheaper than tax , insurance and parking / congestion fees.
It was in Leicester. You have opened my eyes to the simplicity of this crime. Shame the police have no ability to stop it. Cheers, Dan

Seeing as the car is "online" would audi have logs of your cars location at the time of the parking fine?

Seeing as the car is "online" would audi have logs of your cars location at the time of the parking fine?
Is the online thing automatic or is it something I would of had to set-up ? I have not scratched off the plastic tag thing with a pin number on if that is anything to do with the online capability of the car. I might actually of been on this website typing the incident up I had with the SOS warning that came on that day. Cheers, Dan

It has 3g/lte on board.
Same as a mobile it could easily be tracked, pinging mobile masts all the time.