Clunking noise

Tendaimwari

Reaction score
Been hearing a clunking noise /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif all week coming from the drivers side which has got worse all week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. i think it may be the drive shaft or the universal joint. Has anyone else had this problem and can you replace the join, if that is my problem, or is a case of buying a new drive shaft. Goingot my mates garage tomorrow to get it in the air but please tell me this will not be expensive.

Car S3

check the track rods first, get the cars weight off the wheels then see if the wheel will rock without the steering moving.

Mine would move about an inch at the edges of the wheels - the ball and socket joint was ******** to say the least!

ps... good luck getting it sorted!

The noise mainly comes when the car is moving in a straight line and is more noisy when crawling along at low speed, say in traffic There are no vibrations coming through the steering wheel at higher speeds to suggest it is tracks rods etc but will look nonetheless

Check the front anti-roll bar mounting for any free play, especially those two things at the middle of the bar

You find out what it was?
Noticed there is a clunk noise coming from mine when I move off slowly in traffic. Can't tell whether it is front or back though.

I know this is an old thread, but did you find out what it was? My car is doing the exact same thing....