Clunky noises over bumps?

drummerdimitri

Reaction score
I've been hearing metallic clunky noises when going over harsh speed bumps that kind of sounds like some issue with the gearbox as it seems to come from below the gear lever.

I have another problem that I believe is related to the same one, when I drive the car hard while turning to the right only I hear some kind of grinding noise (Differential issue?). The same is not true when turning left weirdly enough.

I took it to my dealer to have it checked out and they told me it needed a new stabilizer bar.

After the repair I noticed the noise is still there and have doubts about the repair as it did not seem to make any difference whatsoever.

I'm frustrated with this since it the dealer cannot identify and rectify the issue how am I supposed to?

Any ideas on what could this be?

PS: I've have my differential changed about a 2 years ago and my car is tuned (400 HP or so).

I had the same issue and it was sorted out by changing the stabilizer bar.
My opinion is to see a different workshop for their opinion. I had a friend who was told also it's the stabilizer bar but later someone else told him that it was engine mounting blocks.

It's notoriously difficult to work out where a sound is coming from when you're driving. One of the common causes of noises over speedbumps on the A3/S3 is the suspension strut top bearings, so it's worth just checking these. When mine was faulty, I could turn the wheel lock to lock sat on the drive and hear a creaking noise, then with the bonnet up and an assistant turning the wheel for me it was extremely easy to locate the source of the problem.

Reactions: Janice_3S3
One of the common causes of noises over speedbumps on the A3/S3 is the suspension strut top bearings, so it's worth just checking these. When mine was faulty, I could turn the wheel lock to lock sat on the drive and hear a creaking noise, then with the bonnet up and an assistant turning the wheel for me it was extremely easy to locate the source of the problem.
Interesting. Did yours creak just going over speed bumps with no steering adjustments? I'm currently ignoring a bit of a creak/noise from mine particularly when coming down off a speed bump fairly slowly. I'd assumed it was probably the anti roll bar and/or its bushes as there's no steering input at that point, so I didn't think the strut top bearings would be doing any work and didn't think it was likely to be them. If it could be them, then maybe I should do more investigating and less ignoring!

I had knocking in the front when going over bumps and when turning full lock to park for example. I replaced the arb, drop links, topmounts and bearings. All uprated stuff. Issue resolved. Front topmounts are defo known for creaking although the arb bushes are known for drying out too. I went with the uprated ECS topmount kit which comes with bearings and also the APR arb, APR was the only aftermarket arb that I could find that had grease nipples in the centre mounting bushings.

APR Stage 2+

Reactions: Damo S
Interesting. Did yours creak just going over speed bumps with no steering adjustments?
Yes, from new. And then I realised it was also getting noises if I went lock to lock whilst stationary. Audi changed it out under warranty and it has been perfect since.

I recently had mine in for the bottom arm bushes to be replaced, it's been making this creaking/clunky noise, had it replaced and it's stopped doing it now, the bush was starting to come out of it's holdings, they picked it up on the health check while doing the timing belt.