Clutch/ flywheel or something else.

johnnevett

Reaction score
Back in August of 2013 I had a replacement clutch and flywheel under warranty from a garage I bought the car from.
A judder has developed when setting off which doesn't happen if you over rev whilst setting off
The car is also difficult to select 1st and reverse.
This isnt constant though and only seems to happen after a long journey then being in start stop traffic. But has still happened on some cold mornings.
When the part was fitted (LUK I believe) the mechanic said the parts had a lifetime guarantee, so I've contacted them and basically I have to pay £640 to have a new clutch and flywheel fitted and then the old part is sent to the manufacturer which decides is the part is at fault. If the part is at fault they will reimburse the full costs.
This is where my dilemma is. I can't afford to fork out £640 to find out the problems are still there
Can anyone help on what other parts could cause these issues before I go down the £640 route.
Thanks

This does sound like flywheel but internet diagnoses are not reliable! does the car shudder allot at idle, quite vibratey?
My friends diesel a3 flywheel went, and during the time it was going he had trouble selecting 1st, 2nd and reverse, and sometimes the car would shudder and vibrate like a truck when sat Idle, eventually it started to get stuck IN gear, and had to switch the car off the release the gear, irritating when parking or doing 3 point turns!
His issue was the flywheel, and once replaced it no longer shuddered or had trouble getting in and out of R 1st and 2nd.

Sound familiar?

This does sound like flywheel but internet diagnoses are not reliable! does the car shudder allot at idle, quite vibratey?
My friends diesel a3 flywheel went, and during the time it was going he had trouble selecting 1st, 2nd and reverse, and sometimes the car would shudder and vibrate like a truck when sat Idle, eventually it started to get stuck IN gear, and had to switch the car off the release the gear, irritating when parking or doing 3 point turns!
His issue was the flywheel, and once replaced it no longer shuddered or had trouble getting in and out of R 1st and 2nd.

Sound familiar?
At idle the car is fine. It only Judders when setting off
1st to second does clunk at times.
And also when starting the car, press the clutch down and press the fob and nothing happens. Like it doesn't know the clutch is down. It just lights the dash up

At idle the car is fine. It only Judders when setting off
1st to second does clunk at times.
And also when starting the car, press the clutch down and press the fob and nothing happens. Like it doesn't know the clutch is down. It just lights the dash up

Doesnt sound the same :(
Hopefully someone else will read this and be better to advise. maybe post this in the other sections of Audi sport outside of just 'b8' as it will get a bigger audience, b7 has a pretty big community posting.

I've got the same symptoms (sort of)

I have the 3.0 tdi quattro- auto tiptronic box and when selecting reverse or drive it kinda jolts the car a touch, and then shudders when setting off?
Anyone ever come across this or have any knowledgable suggestions?

Thanks