Clutch going perhaps?

Hi Paul

Not much to go on, but my first observation when I got the car is how draggy the clutch was at 50 miles (no map), and it took about 200 miles to settle. It now feels pretty much as it did in my 8P2, and I was wondering whether it was just shoddy workmanship or was it that they are using a stronger clutch.

I was almost struggling with it after the one on 8P2 as the bite point was way different (and after 4+ years you get pre-programmed to something!).

I know thats confirmation of nothing, but it does feel different in day to day use. I've not been caning it much, but after a 1000 miles at S1, 3,500 miles in total I'm all good (even in this cold which is notorious for bringing the issues to the surface!)

Interesting....
When I had a new OEM clutch fitted at AUDI under warranty on my last S3 the new one didi feel firmer but I could never decide whther that was because it was new, or a stronger unit.

IF I end up back an S3, I will only go to Stage1 anyway so as long as a MY12 car can stand up to that I would more than happy.
Its a tough call because I will not be fitting SACHs or the like, and couldnt live with a stock S3.
DSG was too much to stomach @ an extra £60/pcm!. Pah!

Cheers
Paul

Interesting....
When I had a new OEM clutch fitted at AUDI under warranty on my last S3 the new one didi feel firmer but I could never decide whther that was because it was new, or a stronger unit.

IF I end up back an S3, I will only go to Stage1 anyway so as long as a MY12 car can stand up to that I would more than happy.
Its a tough call because I will not be fitting SACHs or the like, and couldnt live with a stock S3.
DSG was too much to stomach @ an extra £60/pcm!. Pah!

Cheers
Paul

Know what you mean, I looked into RS3 and the monthly payments nearly doubled with a bot of tinsel on board. By my reckoning whilst I know its by far the superior car there is a ceiling cost for me where if I spend above and beyond it will just **** me off. So I put enough deposit in to get the right monthly figure and tailored the options to suit. Only dickish thing I forgot was lumbar as I stupidly forgot it wasn't standard item! What a tw@t!

Animal mate- unless i'm missing something, if your car is mapped then it seems pretty sure that the clutch is at fault and has been a highlighted weak spot on an S3 since the year dot on this this forum.

My 8P2 standard at 50,580 miles has no slip - maybe you should just bite the bullet and buy a new clutch like the other modifiers have had too...

S

Firstly why would i lose out on a free clutch replacement, secondly the car is up for sale so it would be of no benefit to me :)

Know what you mean, I looked into RS3 and the monthly payments nearly doubled with a bot of tinsel on board. By my reckoning whilst I know its by far the superior car there is a ceiling cost for me where if I spend above and beyond it will just **** me off. So I put enough deposit in to get the right monthly figure and tailored the options to suit. Only dickish thing I forgot was lumbar as I stupidly forgot it wasn't standard item! What a tw@t!

On your advice I have specced the lumbar, (+ light pack/through load/comfort) although its pretty disgusting a car like this doesnt have lumbar it in the first instance then AUDI relieve you of £200 for the pleasure.
Wanted the buckets too, to keep my leg from bashing those daft centre console struts but at £90 pcm that was another option scratched off the list.
In fact if add open sky (nice on Ibis cars), buckets and DSG to comfort/ light packs + other bits and pieces you are over £700 pcm. You can get an E92 M3 AND change for that ***! (and 18 mpg, and thousand pound dealer visits of course....)

cheers
Paul

My MY10 is running OEM clutch with 39k kms on the clock.
I've had Stage 2 for about 5k kms and no signs of slippage yet.
Touch wood!!!!