Clutch problem :'( please help

woking rob

Reaction score
Well I fitted a new clutch and slave cilinder today and all went well but when I started it up it wont go into gear, if I force it will and the clutch seems fine...... Y wouldnt it go into gear? Do u think if just needs bleeding some more? Any help will b much appreacated thank u Rob

How does the pedal feel? Softer, harder? Also did you use an alignment tool to ensure the clutch plate was dead centre before fitting the pressure plate?

It must be very disheartening to do that job for it not to work first time :(

Softer I would say, and yeah it was all lined up but was a ***** to get the box on as we done it on the floor, would it of moved?

Ohh and I'm not really dishearten, I'm pretty chuffed I done it to be honest, I'm useless with cars, I just want my baby back haha

Yeah took it all off we left the shafts in but undone the ball joints to swing the out of the way.... Just one thing have a read up first will make it easier, we was trying for about an hour to get the transfer box off and there is 2 Allen bolts in the drive shaft flanges:faint:

Just one thing have a read up first will make it easier, we was trying for about an hour to get the transfer box off and there is 2 Allen bolts in the drive shaft flanges:faint:

Are they the allen key bolts that you need a really long allen key for? I've bought this tool:

vw_matra_t10107a.jpg

If that's a 6mm that's handy, I used a a couple of extension bars done the trick, it is annoying job but it's not really really hard, and I haven't a clue really :)

Very nice that will b perfect for u then :) don't worry to much iv seen ur work, u can do more than me

Me to, just put it back how u took it out, im really not looking forward to doing the fmic :(

I had this issue on my Evo, it sounds like it just needs bled properly. I ended up having to pressure bleed my clutch using a syringe and some silicon tube feeding the fluid in from the slave cylinder until no air bubbles appeared at the reservoir.

has any1 got any pics of there clutch plate in place so i can see if its the right way round?

right. from a bang empty slave cylinder, 2 stages of bleeding.
1) just undo the nipple and very slowly by hand work the pedal up and down. each time hold the pedal at the top for a second before a slow down and back motion. keep topping up.
2) next is to get your mate to press/work the clutch up and down a few times, then hold the pedal down. you undo the nipple to release the pressure. your mate will then need to "pick up" the pedal off the floor, let it sit at the top of its travel for a couple of seconds and press up and down again 3-4 times and hold it down again, release the nipple etc..... repeat. keep topping up.

should take no more than ten minutes to get a good pedal.

this works because it is the clutch thats forcing the fluid out under pressure each time you undo the bleed nipple.
i must have bled upwards of 50 cars using this method over the years. only time ive had a problem was caused by a fault clutch master cylinder!

ok thats what we have been doing, and isnt working, we can still hear the air in the line, the clutch plate is the right way round iv been looking it up, thank u

if the method i posted above isnt working, you could well have a master cylinder fault where the cylinder isnt letting fresh fluid into it when the pedal is at the top of its travel. you could try a bleeding kit to force fluid thru it insted of it being gravity fed.
ive never used one to bleed clutches before, but that doesnt mean it wont work.
are you actually getting good amounts of fluid thru it while your bleeding it?
if you are does what your bleeding out a light grey colour? you could have airiated the fluid, meaning insted of largeish bubbles in the fluid theres thousands of tiny ones making the fluid look grey. in that case id leave it a good day or so to settle and try it again.

Well yeah kind of, I got myself a bleeding kit and I voting nearly there, but it was fine just clinked going into gear but I needed to use it but after a day of driving it was fine so yay :D found a few s@*t things when doing the clutch will post up soon to see what ppl think :(