Clutch release bearing cost

Anders s3

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have just bought an s3 8p and have a noise coming from the engine area when releasing the clutch. Having looked online I thi k it maybe the clutch release bearing. Can anyone give me a rough idea of what the full cost of fixing this would be please. Many thanks. Ps. Love the car, spending all weekend detailing it.

I ran my old B5 S4 with a dodgy bearing for more than a year, if you can get used to the whine when changing gears its not the worst :laughing:

Anyway the bearing itself won't cost much but the labour will be pretty much the same as if you were replacing the whole clutch. You'd be as well sticking a new clutch kit in at the same time, save yourself a job in future. Maybe a days labour for someone who's done a few before on the 8P, longer for someone less experienced?

As above if you are replacing the release bearing then budget for a complete clutch. No point in changing the bearing and 12 months later changing a clutch. Noises as you describe can also becaused by the DMF.

As mentioned, the labour is the major part of this job. If it still has the original clutch in the noise maybe the dual mass flywheel.
However, it has a replacement clutch with a single mass flywheel, they often rattle a bit on tick over with the clutch released. Before deciding on what to do, you need to decide your eventual plans for the car. If you plan on tuning the car a standard clutch will not last long.

Congratulations on your new Audi S3 8P! It's a fantastic car, and the extra effort detailing it will definitely pay off. Regarding the noise from the engine area when releasing the clutch, replacing the clutch release bearing is a strong possibility.

Last edited: