Clutch slip in 6th gear

James Hilliard

Reaction score
Hi,
My clutch slipped several times whilst driving at motorway speeds when I floored it to overtake in 6th gear accompanied by a burning smell.
Yet I don't get any slippage in lower gears regardless of how hard I accelerate.
I've parked up and put in to 3rd gear,handbrake on and lifted clutch, no slip there either.
Is it my clutch or dmf or even release bearing on way out?
When I change gear at low speeds when depressing and releasing clutch there is a little clunk noise...any ideas?
I've had a quote for a Sachs organic clutch fitted from Awesome GTi for £1100 but then if I need dmf also that will go up, found them for £550 from progressive parts.
My car is standard btw and I do not intend on modding.

Sounds like the clutch is nearing end of life. Mine did exactly this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And you would recommend going for the uprated clutch? When I priced a genuine Audi clutch kit compared to the organic one there is only £70 in it.

I sold the car when it started slipping (not for that reason, just coincidence!). But I would definitely have uprated it, stock clutches are known to be made of cheese on the S1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got this exact issue on my 30k miles S1, but it only happened in 4th gear once and I can not get the car to slip again. When stationary and in neutral you can hear chatter from under the car too, which makes me think the throwout bearing could be on its way out. The clutch also clunks going into gears and likes to grab them too sometimes. I'm swaying towards getting a Sachs when mine eventually gives up