Clutch slipping, shall I replace dmf too?

Pops848

Reaction score
about to pick up an A4 with clutch slip, shall I replace the DMF at the same time just in case?
Interested in opinions, cars just ticked over 100k so I'm thinking yes?

Also, any recommendations where to buy?

TIA

of course as you have the gearbox out anyway!

I thought it would be but a local garage reckons I 'might need one' and some googling seems to be mixed reviews.

I guess as it's a £300 flywheel people are reluctant to change it until it's fubar'd

Change the DMF. If your planning to keep the car for any length of time. A worn DMF will accelerate the wear on a new clutch and if the DMF goes you will be replacing the whole lot again. It's not a quick job to change the clutch so labour costs are not cheap.

I thought it would be but a local garage reckons I 'might need one' and some googling seems to be mixed reviews.

I guess as it's a £300 flywheel people are reluctant to change it until it's fubar'd

Fitting a DMR kit today, single mass flywheel conversion, cheap kit but it came with LUK clutch plate, quality looks good , will post back with my review of it.
Dual mass has more than an inch play (like a cush drive) and can be rocked from side to side 360 degrees, like a knackered wheel bearing, bad idea!

Fitting a DMR kit today, single mass flywheel conversion, cheap kit but it came with LUK clutch plate, quality looks good , will post back with my review of it.
Dual mass has more than an inch play (like a cush drive) and can be rocked from side to side 360 degrees, like a knackered wheel bearing, bad idea!

Cheers mate! Appreciate that.

I saw the DMR kit, looks like a bargain!
Thinking a SMF might be the way to go but I am also wondering how smooth it'll be after so pleased someone else is testing first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers mate! Appreciate that.

I saw the DMR kit, looks like a bargain!
Thinking a SMF might be the way to go but I am also wondering how smooth it'll be after so pleased someone else is testing first

With the state of the DMF it can only be smoother, I'll try and get some pics up of the dual mass later.

With the state of the DMF it can only be smoother, I'll try and get some pics up of the dual mass later.

That bad eh?

The DMF are so good for ride comfort etc but to replace are a bitch.

I had an A3 with DSG and the flywheel alone was an £800 repair. Makes your eyes water! Service on the gearbox (changing oil only) is around £250!

I can see why people don't do it and then they fail.

Question in my mind now is that an A4 B6 is worth somewhere between £1-2k, a full clutch and DMF replacement is in the region of £800-£1k... is the car worth it?
As an enthusiast, yes
As a financial advisor, no I'm thinking

Petrol or diesel ?

£250 to change g/box oil ????? thats daylight robbery!

Petrol or diesel ?

£250 to change g/box oil ????? thats daylight robbery!

Diesel,

It's because it's DSG, so the process should be

Connect VCDS (or similar)
Drain oil
Connect pressure line for oil input
Fill oil to level on VCDS
Take for a test drive
Reconnect VCDS and oil pressure feed in line
Top up oil as required
Done

It's a lengthy oil change but that's DSG for you!

Not well, the input shaft decided yesterday was not the day to copulate with the clutch and crankshaft, round three today.

Which DMR kit did you buy that came with a LUK clutch?

Which DMR kit did you buy that came with a LUK clutch?

This is the one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172272883245?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Finally got it all back together yesterday, feels okay but I'd rather drive it a little more before I give my opinion on it. The reason being that the battery has been disconnected and all learnt parameters have been lost, so essentially it's not running the same map, a couple of days running will give a better comparison.
I managed the clutch change on my own, a little more work but it's possible. My one win is that in all the guides it was advised to remove the slave cylinder after lowering the gearbox a little, well I managed to remove it with the gearbox in place and put it back in after refitting the gearbox, no disconnecting, no bleeding! :footy:

This is the one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172272883245?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Finally got it all back together yesterday, feels okay but I'd rather drive it a little more before I give my opinion on it. The reason being that the battery has been disconnected and all learnt parameters have been lost, so essentially it's not running the same map, a couple of days running will give a better comparison.
I managed the clutch change on my own, a little more work but it's possible. My one win is that in all the guides it was advised to remove the slave cylinder after lowering the gearbox a little, well I managed to remove it with the gearbox in place and put it back in after refitting the gearbox, no disconnecting, no bleeding! :footy:

Nice one mate! That's good going :-D

That's the DMR I was looking at, £145 with a LUK clutch aint bad at all, probably go for that one then. My theory is to replace clutch and inspect DMF, if it's good then I'll leave it be, if it's worn I'll put the solid in. It's a £600 car so really not too bothered if I'm honest. However, as I'll sell it soon I'd like it to last for new owner :)