Code in Varta Battery with no BEM Code

Meemo

Reaction score
Hello,
I have recently bought a replacement Varta F21 AGM battery for my 2015 S5.
It was the recommended OE direct replacement by Varta, and the AH etc was pretty close to the original but not the same...
Problem though is the bar code sticker does not have the traditional Serial number & part number on it which I need to code it into VCDS Battery Management.

Any one else coded in a battery without the BEM by just updating the battery specs alone? (80ah, 800cold crank etc), what did you do with the old serial and part number input?

New battery (12v, 80AH, 800SAE)
49355697646_f837463b37_c.jpg

Old batter BEM code sticker I was expecting (12v, 75ah, 800SAE)
49355702156_8194f54070_c.jpg

49355939892_8e54a166b5_o.jpg

Tempted to try
080 VAO 4F2191023K
First bit being the AH, second the manufacturer code and the serial being just the 10 last digits on the sticker.

They expect you to buy from Audi this the serial & part number wouldn't be an issue, but if course Audi charge too much for the same or lesser battery you can buy from others.

I'm surprised you need a new battery already.

Did you ask Varta to advise which data is correct to use, I'd give them a call, they're usually very good on the tech line.

Reactions: Meemo
They expect you to buy from Audi this the serial & part number wouldn't be an issue, but if course Audi charge too much for the same or lesser battery you can buy from others.

I'm surprised you need a new battery already.

Did you ask Varta to advise which data is correct to use, I'd give them a call, they're usually very good on the tech line.

Thank you @NHN , I have emailed them a few times and the retailer I got it from who is trying their best to get an answer from Varta, but nothing back from Varta yet to either of us.

extra security is installed on the car plus dash cams with parking mode etc, all of which drain it. And it isn't used every day so tends to sit a week or 2, battery has inevitably been over exercised as a result.
I do have a solar battery maintainer now that connects to the ODB, but the battery is dropping to 11v soon as it is switched off even after a 150mile trip, then 10v when left for a few days, so does seem a little sad and a bit late with the maintainer, will use the maintainer with the new battery though to keep it topped up.

If I do not get something from Varta support I will try the above code and just update the specs in VCDS. I have seen others claim theirs auto detected the new battery but would rather not risk it and kill the battery before its time.... again.

Bit of extra bad luck, DPD's 5 a side team played football with the battery in transit and it is cracked on the top corner/ beat up on other edges, but battery mega store said it is still safe to use.

Ring Varta, don't email, that's what I did.

If it stands for week or 2, just use a ctek, great units & they've fixed batteries for me that appeared dead.

If it helps I changed my battery last year with a Varta AGM and all I changed was 1 number using VCDS.
Choose any number in your existing serial number and change it for a different one,save and exit.
I have had no issues since doing this and have all battery monitoring functions working correctly

that's fab to hear @Dadar,
Did you update the AH and Crank rating as well or was your battery identically specked to the old one?
I have still not done mine which is pretty bad of me with the current one being less than 50% charged as soon as the car is switched off, despite getting 3 hour drive :S

My new battery was the exact spec of the old one and by changing 1 number in the serial the car sees it as a replacement and manages it accordingly.

no sooner than I see your reply, Varta have also replied with the same advice :)
Hopefully mine is the battery management version where the specs are updated in a separate drop down to the serial number so that I can update the specs, as this is different from the OE.

"
Dear Ms ***,

The BEM code will be 8KO915105F, the serial number should be taken from the original battery but change the last digit.

Best regards,

"

:earthamericas::Grey B7::eartheurafr:
Battery 12v, 80AH, 800SAE

Programm with:
PART NUMBER: 4F7915105H
MANUFACTURER: VA0 (VARTA)
BATTERY SERIAL NUMBER: 080420080H

Reactions: Free_Papi
Some other interesting info regards battery coding.
https://www.bannerbatterien.com/en-...TO-Correctly-registering-start-stop-batteries - good read of why batteries require coding for VAG.
https://upgrademyaudi.net/tutorials/how-to-code-new-car-battery-vcds/ - usefull details and part numbers vs ah at the bottom.
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Battery_Replacement - the official guide but newer vehicles are slight different and may have more options.

I've recently coded a new battery into a 2013 Touareg and even though it had the battery module as a sub module of the CAN Gateway (Module 19) it was coded directly in adaptions of the CAN Gateway. This year and model only had three battery options; size (aH), serial number and manufacturer.

Reactions: Feemy
:dünya amerikaları::Gri B7::toprak:
Pil 12v, 80AH, 800SAE

Şununla programlayın:
PARÇA NUMARASI: 4F7915105H
ÜRETİCİ: VA0 (VARTA)
AKÜ SERİ NUMARASI: 080420080H
80agm varta için verdiğiniz kod doğru mu?

update 4 years on, I have finally fitted this battery and coded it in!

Coding steps:
I used Carista on my phone, and the 'Battery registration' section under service.
As per their own instructions for non BEM coded batteries I changed only the final digit on the battery serial code, and updated the manufacturer to VAO (Varta).
Cleared the Battery management error code (on the same screen) and monitored it for 48 hours and all good holding 12.7v when off.
OEM specs: 12v 75ah 800A
Varta specs:12v 80ah 800A

In 2022 I was not confident coding it in, so I paid for an Audi tech to install a genuine one to the tune of £500 after this original post, and that very battery today is so dead it no longer charges, I had to climb through into the boot, pop off the plastic circle cap on the back of the boot to manually open the boot and swap it out.
The only battery I had to hand was the Varta one I bought 4 years ago mentioned in this post! so after a health check, low and behold still had a partial charge above the warranty amount, s charged it up and popped it in. Checking it every day since on my car app and I can see it happily sits at 12.7v (full) so I am feeling good that it is coded correctly.

note: I saw the OEM audi battery which is not even 2 years old, that the tech had not cleared the old battery management code from Dec 2022 when I had it fitted. Whenever I tracked the battery volts in my app since it was installed it always dropped before my eyes usually into the 11v area, so I think because this step was not performed the car battery management treated the newer battery as an old depleated one and as such it killed the new one faster than it should have. so I strongly advise to clear the battery management codes after installing the battery and updating the details.