Coil pack rubber boot torn

SDB

Reaction score
I changed my spark plugs during the service of my 1.4 tfsi this weekend and ended up tearing the top off the rubber boot that connects to the Coil Pack.
The rubber boot seems to really hold tight onto the spark plugs and I've managed to get them off previously by looping a cord around the boot and gently but firmly pulling vertically upwards. Unfortunately, on this occasion one of them was particularly tight and the cord ripped through the rubber (see pic below).
Several forum sites suggest warming the engine up before attempting this. I did warm it up in order to warm the oil so it would drain more easily, but by the time I'd changed the oil, oil filter, air filter etc., the engine had probably cooled too much.
So, after all this waffle I have a question; does anyone know the part number of the rubber boot? I'd like to replace it even though the engine runs fine as it is.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20210328_141340158.jpg
    IMG_20210328_141340158.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 189
You do(!)

...It's the long number on the boot. I'm not certain I'm making out the third character correctly, but it looks like 04E 905 199 A (Googling that number makes a lot of boots which look like yours appear).

All the best,

Rob.

You do(!)

...It's the long number on the boot. I'm not certain I'm making out the third character correctly, but it looks like 04E 905 199 A (Googling that number makes a lot of boots which look like yours appear).

All the best,

Rob.
Hi Rob,
Can't believe I didn't look at the picture properly
You're spot on, that is the number moulded into the stem of the boot.
Thanks for putting me straight, I'll get one ordered.
Steve.

Reactions: FactionOne
No worries. Easily missed when you're anxious to get it sorted out, and it being an easy one that didn't have me rummaging through the parts catalogue made me smile.

R

Is it not better to just replace the whole coil pack or is this another part on top of a new coil pack? Think new coil packs are like £20-30
I’m just curious.

Is it not better to just replace the whole coil pack or is this another part on top of a new coil pack? Think new coil packs are like £20-30
I’m just curious.
I could change the whole thing, but the rubber part is an individual component that simply sits between the coil pack and spark plug. The coil pack works fine, I'm only replacing the rubber part as the seal is now compromised, engine runs fine.
I'll price them up, but I imagine the whole thing is going to be more than just the rubber boot. Knowing Audi, I could be wrong.

I could change the whole thing, but the rubber part is an individual component that simply sits between the coil pack and spark plug. The coil pack works fine, I'm only replacing the rubber part as the seal is now compromised, engine runs fine.
I'll price them up, but I imagine the whole thing is going to be more than just the rubber boot. Knowing Audi, I could be wrong.

In my head, not very mechanical one, if a rubber seal is warped or broken the replacement normally won’t last very long as the thing it’s attached to is most likely deformed as that broke off and cause it’s all pretty much plastic which gets brittle with age.
Moisture or water getting in will likely cause random misfires etc which could be a pain to diagnose. Looking at AUTODOC a new Bosch coil pic is £27. Can’t see the rubber from Audi being that much cheaper. If it’s only a couple of quid get a few as spares ;-)
Just a thought.
Was thinking of doing the plugs after next service as the Audi service plan doesn’t include plugs so these are things I’m looking at.

In my head, not very mechanical one, if a rubber seal is warped or broken the replacement normally won’t last very long as the thing it’s attached to is most likely deformed as that broke off and cause it’s all pretty much plastic which gets brittle with age.
Moisture or water getting in will likely cause random misfires etc which could be a pain to diagnose. Looking at AUTODOC a new Bosch coil pic is £27. Can’t see the rubber from Audi being that much cheaper. If it’s only a couple of quid get a few as spares ;-)
Just a thought.
Was thinking of doing the plugs after next service as the Audi service plan doesn’t include plugs so these are things I’m looking at.
The coil pack has a plastic barbed protrusion that pushes into the rubber boot (similar to a garden water pipe fitting). Absolutely no damage to the coil pack end, it simply pulled out of the rubber fitting.
I currently have four identical coil packs, if I change one it should be fine but three old ones and one new one - who knows.
If you're thinking of doing the plugs yourself, I'd suggest getting the special coil pack removal tool - T10530 (I didn't know they existed until this happened) and definitely a thin wall plug socket, otherwise you may get a normal plug socket stuck down the hole, ask me how I know

Reactions: AlS3BE