Coil Pack ????

Jacko4130

Goodie Gum Drops
Reaction score
S3 BAM Engine

Had the car over 3 years now, had loads of coil packs fail over the years so its nothing new, But this morning on route to work hit a little boost and and as i came off it felt like a coil pack had failed. Light came on dash like normal and it ran on 3 cylinders for about 2 miles. All of a sudden changed gear and it was fine.

On route home i've hammered it to see if it would blow again and nothing???? All power was there and it drove as normal.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
get 1 in the boot for spare
its gonna go

Got a spare in garage but have never known one to come back to life, that was the question really?

iv had them worn then die the work again then drop dead miles from home
1st thing i get when i get a new audi a pack in the boot its gonna be needed 1 day

16684/P0300/000768 - Ross-Tech Wiki

This is a similar issue to one I am having... pretty sure its essentially flooding with fuel... mine happens more when the engine is on cold start running rich please my mapping is not finished and my setup is slightly different to most :)

Don't know what the cause is as yet, my lambda correction is a little wiggy on idle at the moment but I am working on that atm...

<tuffty/>

N249 by pass etc?... trying to get a handle on any similarities to find a solution...

<tuffty/>

N249 by pass, Stage1 map, FMIC, TIP, Filter, 007p are the mods really

Its had loads of vac pipes in the last few months, coil packs 2 and 4 done a few months ago, 1 and 3 were done last summer so should still be ok in my eyes, there not cheap ***** either.

It just seems strange that its come back to life, if it failed then fail enough i would just replace the coilpack, Will scan the engine in the morning to see if its fired a code up and see what cylinder it is.

They have a tendancy to pop up out of the head when there going, especially on boost, and sit back down again when off boost which might be the reason for its intermittant problems. See if any are very easy to remove or sitting a bit proud of the rest.

They have a tendancy to pop up out of the head when there going, especially on boost, and sit back down again when off boost which might be the reason for its intermittant problems. See if any are very easy to remove or sitting a bit proud of the rest.

They pop up due to the heat of the engine heating the air trapped in the cavity when they are inserted... the rubber round the shaft of the coil pack is 'designed' to hold them in but as the engine gets hotter the air heats up, expands and pops them out... this is worse on engines that have leaked a little oil or had some spilt on the rocker from topping up etc...

One way to fix this is to cut small sections out of the rubber ribbing round the top of the coil pack shaft... this will allow the expanding air to escape and still hold the coil pack in...

<tuffty/>

Dont think its anything to do with coil pack popping out to be honest