coil packs, coil packs... ?

Stuart B

Reaction score
so spirited drive and a misfire hmmm scanned = cylinder 1 misfire - changed the coil pack - went for a run all good again 5 minutes later including "putting" the car under some pressure 3rd gear up hill on boost for a few seconds misfire scanned cylinder 4 misfire changed the coil pack no more misfire.

I did recently change to 0.7mm gapped copper BKR7E <-- or whatever I haven't pushed again since changing cylinder 4's coil pack - I just wonder whether these have been on their last legs for some time and this is just co-incidental or maybe a wiring thing and changing coil pack and restarting isn't really fixing them, the engine bay gets damn hot in this weather, any worrying area to look at?

I’d have a good look at the coil pack wiring too, although you’ll need to unwrap it. If it’s never been replaced it could well be brittle and cracked so Pulling it around to change plugs and coilpacks will make it worse

This is my worry, you know what these engines are like there's not a minute you don't think something's about to break.

Reactions: scotty_24
This is my worry, you know what these engines are like there's not a minute you don't think something's about to break.
You’re not kidding there mate, there’s always something that needs doing. I think my Mrs loves it because it keeps me out of the house on the weekends, haha

She has no idea why you can't afford a new bathroom though :D

I'm sure its something to do with me disturbing that area, the old plugs were seized in Bosch super plus (service book said pfr6q ) gapped at about 1.2mm probably been in for 8 years. I deleted n249, so that also disturbed the wiring.

I know head light bulbs sometimes blow together. But wonder whether the temperature is related? I'm sure I got these plugs from gsfcarparts a year or so ago so shouldn't be fake. But if necessary will remove them to check.

Reactions: S3 Hilife
I had the same problem . it was my coil pack wire loom . unwraped it a bit and 2 bare wires were touching . wrapped them in electrical tape and all was good .

so the coil wires were causing multiple coil packs to die (are they dead or was it just the wiring do you reckon? I have put 3 spares in the car now :D

my wireing was not killing the coil packs but making it miss at higher rpm . i only had this issue for a couple days . once i re tapped the loom all was well . it also put the engine light on .

Make sure the plugs are genuine. See my thread about fake plugs causing me a year of pain chasing a miss.
Check loom wiring, mine was also shot causing a high RPM miss.