Coil Packs keep blowing on 1.8 S3?

MikeA3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Can anyone shed any light on this?

My S3 keeps blowing the coil pack on cylinder 1 which is resulting in a misfire / erratic idle / cr@p accelleration etc,etc. I know there has been historic problems with the coil packs on the 1.8T engines but as I understand it, this was due to a bad design on the original coil packs which was later solved by a different design.

I had the car serviced 2 weeks ago after the check engine light came on and coild pack one had gone so they replaced all four coil packs (£100) as part of the service. Three days later the car had to go back into the garage as the exhaust manifold was going and the garage told me coil pack one had gone again so it was replaced, again.

Low and behold on the way home (2 miles @ under 30mph all the way) the engine light came back on and the car began to misfire again.

Before I book the car in and spend lots more £££'s yet again could anyone advise why a coil pack would keep blowing like this? a friend said it could be a compression or valve problem but I don't understand why this would cause the coil pack to fail?

Any help would be appreciated

Mike

lve just had a coil replaced on my 2008 S3 so it would be good to find out the problem.

Mmm. so l might be back soon. Initally emission light came on and was reset. Now theyve said it is coil.

MikeA3, have the garage actually tested the new coil packs by swapping them around to see if the misfire follows?

A guy at work bought a set of coil packs from GSF and they turned out to be dudd and not original VAG items.

Check if they replaced the spark plugs as that can cause a misfire.

Sounds like the garage are a bunch of cowboys if they can test properly and sort a simple issue like this.