Coilovers/lowering shocks/springs??

benh999

Reaction score
folks I want to sort the stance out on my s3. Currently stock, however I'd like it to sit 40mm ish lower.

On my previous s4 B5 avant I had AP coilovers and the ride was low and comfortable and I was very impressed with them.

Now on my S3 I'm tempted to buy them However just wondered how they compared to the bilstein PSS coilovers, longevity etc ? I don't want to shell out £500 on poor suspension if the Bilstein is light years better.

Also Is there a spring/shock combo to use (bilstein etc) that gives a great ride if I don't want coilovers. Again on my RS4 I had Bilstein/eibach combo but have never played with the suspension on the S3.

Ben

A lot of guys on here run Bilstein B8's and a decent quality spring (usually H&R or Eibach) I run Koni FSD shocks and H&R springs. The ride quality is very good, Firm but not crash.
Not sure how much 'stance' your looking for but this is how my car sits

I'm thinking Bilstein B8's with Eibach sports line extra low springs (front 45/50mm rear 35/40mm..

Thoughts?

B8's and 25mm H&R's
20161202-IMG_4702-Edit.jpg

I used to have 30mm Apex springs but was crashy up front... not sure the B8's like to drop much below 25mm...

The 30mm were ok when new but plausible a little sag over the years tipped them over the edge...

Your proposed drop will be crashy as hell on B8's... I would look at KW v1's if you want to go that low

<tuffty/>

folks I want to sort the stance out on my s3. Currently stock, however I'd like it to sit 40mm ish lower.

On my previous s4 B5 avant I had AP coilovers and the ride was low and comfortable and I was very impressed with them.

Now on my S3 I'm tempted to buy them However just wondered how they compared to the bilstein PSS coilovers, longevity etc ? I don't want to shell out £500 on poor suspension if the Bilstein is light years better.

Also Is there a spring/shock combo to use (bilstein etc) that gives a great ride if I don't want coilovers. Again on my RS4 I had Bilstein/eibach combo but have never played with the suspension on the S3.

Ben
You could also contact our site sponsor @DPM and Damian will advise you.

Reactions: DPM
Well if you like it firm. It's great. Handles amazing.

As a daily I really have to be careful of sudden changes in the road. Really angled driveways, high speed humps, pot holes, shopping centres.

But the ride quality far outweighs that for sure!!!

Has anyone got some pics of an s3 on Bilstein B8's and 40/50mm springs?

KW v1 are better than billy pss... As i said before... I had 30mm drop on B8s and the ride was crashy.. 40/50mm drop would be unusable on uk roads imo

I have a pic of mine on 30mm drop somewhere

<tuffty/>

For the S3 8L chassis the Bilstein B8 and Eibach Pro springs or Bilstein B8 and H&R springs has always been one of the more popular choices.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Reactions: Sandra
AP coilovers:

That looks good man, i thought that AP was good until i fitted a set to my 6N2 GTI and done less than 1000 miles and three out of four started leaking, best part of all is that the supplier i got them from is trying to tell me it's normal LOL