coilpacks popping up?

syski999

Reaction score
Hi I changed my sparkplugs about a month ago and have cleaned my engine out once so my coil packs have been out twice in the last month. I put Audi original replacements in and torqued then to the specified requirement, all was good for about a month but now on cylinder 2 and 3 both have started to pop up! I’ve pushed them down a few times and they come up every time I drive. So last night I took coil pack out of cylinder 2 and cut some v's down the back of the coil pack, as i’ve heard air can get trapped and as the engine heats up they expand and push the pack out! I then took the car for a long run and gave it some beans!! When I looked under the bonnet again all coil packs were in the right position, the small v cut trick seems to have solved the problem however it’s strange that cylinder 3 hasn’t popped up again?
My car is an 2002 model and has only covered 39000mile
My question to you is? Do you think the coil packs are just old and not holding as well?
I’ve got a leak? Spark plugs don't seem loose.
Are my coil packs on the way out?
I’ve had a ticking noise from all packs since I brought the car 6 month ago is this normal? I’ve heard the 1.8Ts are noisy anyway but i’ve never had anything to compare it to?
Should I worry the car pulls great no hesitation no loss of power seems smooth, idling seems ok. The rev needle has never completely been steady floats slightly between 900 and 850revs very minimal, is this normal?

Any thoughts would be gr8

The ticking is the charcoal cannister,you can get brackets to keep coilpacks in place

The ticking is the charcoal cannister,you can get brackets to keep coilpacks in place

hi yeah, i understand that the charcoal cannister ticks, but there is also ticking noise from engine/coilpacks?

The other ticking noise should be the injectors...

As for the coil packs popping up, this is due to the air trapped when pushing them in getting heated up and expanding... cheap fix is to cut a small section out of the rubber ribbing to allow the air out...

<tuffty/>

The 1.8T isn't a classic engine sound so I wouldn't worry.

The other ticking noise should be the injectors...

As for the coil packs popping up, this is due to the air trapped when pushing them in getting heated up and expanding... cheap fix is to cut a small section out of the rubber ribbing to allow the air out...

<tuffty/>

Hi tuffty thanks for the advice ive cut small v's in the coilpack that seemed worse and all is good now? if any more pop out ill do the same.
If its injector noise i'm guessing its nothing to worry about?
also do you think the idlling sounds normal as stated in my original post?

Hi tuffty thanks for the advice ive cut small v's in the coilpack that seemed worse and all is good now? if any more pop out ill do the same.
If its injector noise i'm guessing its nothing to worry about?
also do you think the idlling sounds normal as stated in my original post?

the 20v isn't a quiet engine on idle tbh... cam chain tensioner is normally the cause of the nosiest rattle...

<tuffty/>