cold start issues and smoke. 2005 a4 2.0tdi.

A4/b6marcus

Reaction score
Hi All.

I've owned a 2002 a4 1.8t for just over 2 years and I have to say its an absolute dream drives real nice and looks great. so recently my wife passed her driving test and we managed to get her insured for a reasonable price which gave me the thought to give her the car and buy myself a newer one. so I decided to get an 2005 a4 2.0tdi as with the miles I do for work a diesel would be the obvious choice. I test drove the car and all was fine nice and smooth from start up and all throughout the test drive. so I did a buy. anyway on the way home the cel came on!!! I plugged in a code reader that night and I got p0401 01/02, also the following day on cold start up its all juddering and some smoke came out of the exhaust sort of a blue/grey but all clears as it starts to get warm, after a bit of searching it seems my problem could be the be the egr valve needing a clean.

so at the weekend I popped down my local audi dealership and got the gaskets I would need and then proceeded to remove the egr valve. when removing I find out that its has been blanked off where the pipe that runs from the egr cooler connects and I noticed the egr cooler has a blue silicone pipe running into what looks like both coolant flanges as a blank off for that aswell??
once I had it off it wasn't very dirty but I did notice that the valve which was blanked off was broken. so mabey this is why they decided to do the egr delete.

so basically I wondering if the blue smoke and juddering on a cold start up could be caused by the the same thing as the fault code and what could be causing this.

Thanks in advanced, Marcus.