Collect the S3 on Thursday

Sock

Shark in a Goldfishes clothing
Reaction score
Been out for a test drive in the S3 today and I'm very impressed.

Going back to a manual will take a bit of getting used too but the gear changes were smooth and precise.

Don't know if there any suspension differences between the S3 and the A3 S line but it felt really well planted and gripped like poo to a sheet! ( I assume that its down to the 4 wheel drive? )

Power delivery was great and pulled all the way to ***mph lol

The one I am getting needs a really good valet as the previous owner must have mistaken the inside for a bin but the outside looks great and I am a bit OCD when it comes to cleaning the interior anyway so look forward to a challenge. ( Audi assure me it will be spotless before I collect )

Can't report much in the way of difference in fuel consumption as I was booting it but it only drop to 16.7 mpg when I went for it and I am not worried really as if I was I would stay with the diesel lol. ( after getting 400 miles max out of a tank on the TDI it cant be much worse surley? if I can get 300 per tank I will be a happy bunny ).

Bit confues by the DRL though as it just appears to be the side lights turned on?

It's an 08 plate so any advice on driving and maintenance greatly appreciated.

Or any other general advice?

Or any other general advice? - enjoy mate, ur gonna love it!!:rock:

LOL thanks Denty.

Its a bit sad that the TDI doesn't quite live up to the expectations but I work hard and spend most of my free time with my daughter so I have decided for once I am going to treat myself. :)

Good for u mate, this lifes not a trial run:rockwoot: happy for ya.

Out of interest what are adaptive lights as mine has them?

I think it means they are self leveling and also direct the beam left and right depending on the corner you are approaching...correct me if im wrong guys:detective2:

yeah basically they turn the headlights to follow the road. my parents' Merc has them and they're brilliant.

congrats on the new car, but you should be expecting more like 250mi out of the tank, not 300mi lol.

Ah right, I will reed up on all the stuff when I get it but I'm still getting to grips with all this technology stuff. The sat nav is going to be fun lol.

Must admit I like the smoothness of the drive as my old Mondeo ST220 was great in a straight line but also very aggressive in the gear changes etc, just a shame I got to wait till Thursday as I'm off work now till may the 3rd and could be out increasing the mileage.

Other good thing is as I have only had my Bluefin for 4 months Superchips are resetting it for the S3 free of charge, might hold off installing it for a bit until I'm used to the car though lol.

yeah basically they turn the headlights to follow the road. my parents' Merc has them and they're brilliant.

congrats on the new car, but you should be expecting more like 250mi out of the tank, not 300mi lol.

Oh well, just means more trips to the fuel station but with my mileage being 450 -500 a month max its still no bother. Plus I can increase my Shell points to buy that bottle of screen wash I earn every year!

Slave III (Audi S3) | Fuelly

That's the economy I've been having out of mine, that's mostly A roads and motorways with the occasional lead foot.

I hope Audi clean yours better than they cleaned mine, it actually came back from a service dirtier than when it went in...

Slave III (Audi S3) | Fuelly

That's the economy I've been having out of mine, that's mostly A roads and motorways with the occasional lead foot.

I hope Audi clean yours better than they cleaned mine, it actually came back from a service dirtier than when it went in...

Sorry mate, what economy are you getting?

My first audi was really clean when I got it so hope this one is too, if not I won't buy it till it is lol

I look forward to seeing snaps of this also - I'm really tempted to get an S3

Sock - click the link mate.
28.9mpg and an average of 260 miles between fillups (I try not to go into the red).

LOL thanks fella, didn't realise that was a link :S

I'm getting the 3 door, was going to go for sport back but convinced myself I don't need it lol

Will try and post some pics when I get it but something is up with my photobucket account.

I don't like to go into the red as well so will see how it goes. Will be driving to scotland ( Loch Ness ) In just over 3 weeks so will be a good test for the Fuel economy and for the car when I get up there :)

Audi have admitted that the A3 170's are not very good on fuel ( after I bought it! )

+1

I'm taking it that it doesn't have LED DRL's then as there would be no mistaking these for sidelights?!

Doesn't look like it, I know nothing about DRL and though the hole point was the LED ones?

Driving around with your side lights on just looks s*it lol?

I think the LED DRL's appeared on the later 2008 models. However the previous S3's do have DRL's that have nothing to do with the sidelights. They are a much more visible, broader light.

Agreed, sidelights look sh*te but the DRL's aren't too bad, you can upgrade the bulbs quite easily too (which personally I can't be bothered to do) :)

LOL maybe they were not working them ? ( or the sales man didn't know what he was doing and pressed the wrong switch? )

When I pick it up I am going to get him them to give me a full run down on how everything works, sat nav etc so will check then.

I believe mine was first registered in April 2008 so would be an earlier model.

I want to change the side lights for LED's as it also has Xenons but had the trouble on the TDI with it keep saying it had a fault and couldn't find any of the right bulbs with the correct resistor on.

Early S3's DRLs look very similar to sidelights (They use the same reflector). However the sidelight bulb is a small 501 bulb, and the DRL is the much bigger S25 bulb. You also don't have your rear lights on with DRLs, but you do with sidelights. The LED headlight units are a different shape to the previous generation units so they aren't swappable without major bodywork. Quite why nobody has made OEM style LED lights that fit older shape cars, I have no idea :|

I used to get about 260 to 320 miles out of a tank on the S3. Managed over 400 once on a long trip to Scotland

Thanks for all your comments.

I have always changed the bulbs in previous cars as I don't like the 'yellow' light look so will try and improve on this one regarding the DRL's

Is the DVD sat nav any good on these cars as I have never had one before?

When I go to Scotland I will not down the fuel consumption figures to feed back as it's very rare I ever use a full tank in one go so it's the perfect chance.