Complete Newbie with Newbie Questions (Probably)

lejc2425

Reaction score
After being stung by an Italian car and having to put up with it for the past 12 months, I've decided German is the way to go.

I'm looking to buy an A3, probably 2009/10, S Line, 1.6.

Something like that anyways.

The exact spec I want (electric folding mirrors, interior lights everywhere, bluetooth) is out of my budget so the plan is to buy an A3 without these specs and then retrofit over the next year or so as and when.

A few questions:

Will audi/dealer do this for me as I have the tech skills of a... Well, I lack them and what sort of cost (I know, how long is a piece of string, but as a rough guide, what would retrofitting the whole interior light back on an 8L cost me)

Also, these mods, as they'd be done with genuine Audi parts, will they affect my insurance (do they count as modifications) and are Audi alright with them.

That's all for now, I'm sure I'll have more stupid questions to ask soon ;)

After being stung by an Italian car and having to put up with it for the past 12 months, I've decided German is the way to go.

The exact spec I want (electric folding mirrors, interior lights everywhere, bluetooth) is out of my budget so the plan is to buy an A3 without these specs and then retrofit over the next year or so as and when.

A few questions:

Will audi/dealer do this for me as I have the tech skills of a... Well, I lack them and what sort of cost (I know, how long is a piece of string, but as a rough guide, what would retrofitting the whole interior light back on an 8L cost me)

Also, these mods, as they'd be done with genuine Audi parts, will they affect my insurance (do they count as modifications) and are Audi alright with them.

Welcome :) All the bits you have mentioned can be retrofitted. Plenty of people on here that can supply and fit for you. Cheaper to get someone else rather than Audi to fit, although I am sure Audi will fit if you want to pay the premium. No idea on prices. Speak to NHN who can give you the lowdown.

Reactions: NHN

A few questions:

Welcome to the forum m8 :)
Not such a thing of stupid questions, but if u search the forum u will find a multitude of answers to the majority of these questions.
With regards the retrofits there are a few members on here that do them ie NHN,jbo0 and Cruiser (sorry if iv missed anyone out). That will do these for u.
Audi probably wouldn't do any of these but maybe the Bluetooth but the above members have done loads so I would go with them rather :)
Folding mirrors will be expensive tho probs 600 + and u have to ask urself if its worth it.
The lights for the interior I'm not sure.
Bluetooth is a popular retrofit normally about £350 Ish I think for geniune audi but there is a pic heavy install on here that could show u how to DIY :)

With regards insurance u don't have to tell them about any of them :)

Be careful tho once u start looking over the forum ur thirst for mods to the car grows :)

Reactions: wanton
Go through the 8P FAQ sticky at the top of the Page. Lots of Info on Mods / and links to the Info you're looking for.

I highly recommend NHN (Nigel). Send him a PM and he'll give you an idea of prices. He's a ****** nice chap who knows his stuff. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the site.

Now don't tell me, an Alfa or a Fiat :p

Thanks for the words guys, as a genuine Sponsor of the site, its much appreciated :)

We can retrofit all of the oem 8P technology systems, give me a shout if interested as dealer would be reluctant & more expensive probably, along with potentially cocking it up.

Nige is the man by the way. Very genuine chap. If he says its not possible then its not possible. Very reasonable prices, good customer support and his patter and banter are legendary....:friends: