computer upgrade

205man

Reaction score
as im going to be stuck at home whilst my knee recovers i think im going to upgrade my desktop pc, as i can do my work from my laptop, and ill now have the spare time to upgrade it.

at the moment this is whats inside

msi K7N2 Delta2-LSR motherboard
amd athlon xp 2100+ (socket a)
2 gig ddr sdram pc3200
nvidia geforce fx5500 agp

im looking to get a new motherboard / processor and eventually a new graphics card.

i play a few games but not huge amount as ive the the 360 for that, so it will be used for a lot of photoshop work and cad work.

up until now its been ok for what ive been using it for but i now feel its to slow.

so can i have suggestions for a new board (agp) and processor i want to stay with amd as i have an amd tower case and dont see the need to buy another

im not looking to spend thousands but looking to build a pc that will last me another coupel of years before i need to spend again

alan

Ok first things firs agp is old news, and if u're doing cad and photoshop u'll be wanting a pci-e board.

You're gonna have to upgrade your power supply anyway so the amd/intel thing is irrelevant.

Aim for a dual core 3.4 p4 or an athlon 64 3500+

DDR2 pc5300 a gig at least

PCi-e geforce 7600GT minimum

That should get you going - i'd expect to pick that lot up for under or about 200

oh and a new power supply(tenner)

i knew some one was going to tell me i would need to use pci-e , i thought id ask anyway lol

ill stick with amd as i never had any problems with them so far but just wasnt sure which to go for

cheers

alan

If you're going amd then a socket 939 is what you'll be wanting, good compromise between price and power available.

With intel try and get a 935 i guess.

The website aboves prices arent too bad at all id have a look on there

Dont get a dual core processor unless you are or are going to run VISTA. As XP doesnt utilise it correctly and you will see very little performance improvement over a normal processor. I would go for an AMD processor. Not into Intel stuff.

But deffo gp for a pci-e g f/x card. If you wanna push the boat out you could get XBOX 360 graphics if not better on the pc for not alot of money if you go for a beefy GF/x card.

I'm an AMD man but I like the look of the new Quad-Core Intel offerings.
Try overclockers as they have a good selection, i use them and microdirect.

Asus M/B are pretty solid too.