Concerns a3 order

8YA335TDI1STED

Reaction score
As title suggests, I just placed order 8 days ago and came on to find help full info and good news :thumbs up:only to find complaint after complaint re false delivery times and faulty mmi threads ? leaky door seals , disconnection of service from Audi app etc etc :wtf: Iv'e got 6 days left to fully cancel so would like to know what's the general consensus re afore mentioned problems ???

Ordering remotely has become more normal during the pandemic and, if so, distance selling regulations apply. If you hadn't been to the dealership when placing the order, you will have 14 days *after taking delivery* to change your mind. I don't fancy testing the law for myself though and it would be unfair to the seller if you have serious reservations at this early stage.

However, I wouldn't be overly concerned personally. Forums are naturally the places where people turn to share and learn about faults, so they can seem over-represented. People don't tend to write threads and get answers about all the things that work, but in general modern cars are pretty fault-free by the standards of even a few decades ago.

I am obviously in a similar position of reading these threads with a car being in the order pipeline somewhere, but feel sanguine that this seems normal for all new models like the 8Y A3. Ours will probably be built at least 12 months after the first cars rolled off the line and may therefore escape the very earliest teething troubles.

If a totally fault-free experience is a priority, then I suggest a Lexus. I had one for 1.5 years but it left me feeling underwhelmed and so it was back to Audi for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: AdamInKent and 8YA335TDI1STED
I might literally have just the video for you tomorrow - it will answer that very question and also provide a chance to talk with lots of current owners.

I would say don't worry too much about it (these things happen to some extent) but hope to speak to you on the live chat too!

Reactions: AdamInKent, SillyGoose and 8YA335TDI1STED
Thanks @Ben H Distance selling regulations don't really help with cars though given the timescale involved the main problem here in the the deception of time scale involved . Id think the number for refusal after a 3 - 7 months wait would be minuscule .

From experience the estimated build time is just a rough estimate. Had 2 factory build previously, one from Barcelona and one from Ghent, Belgium. Barcelona one was 'late' by 3 weeks, citing inavalibility of my 'special' colour choice, which was pulled the following week after I placed my order. They honoured the colour, but probably took some time to source it from another factory. The car from Ghent, annoyingly (the Barcelona sourced car was still around) arrived at the showroom a month early, so it sat there (probably it was also a showroom car to prospective buyers, as the boot led light bulb was non-existent! probably meant it was open for long periods of time). Now with Covid, all bets are off delivery time wise. I ordered my A3 Sport with C&S early Dec. I have no idea if it's built or when it would arrive to UK yet. Only one email from leaser that it won't make the original estimate of end Feb delivery. It's ok, I do not desperately need a car atm.
The fun part with the Barcelona car was that they gave the name of the ship it was coming on (big mistake haha), so there I was tracking the ship everyday, it took 6 days to get here from Barcelona, going first to Germany (maybe to drop off some Audi Q3s) and then it turned back to UK to drop off the cars inc mine!

Reactions: 8YA335TDI1STED and AdamInKent
well its not good news at my end at all , my original quote of 12 - 16 weeks delivery has miraculously vanished , I am now being told to accept that at the time of order minimum delivery time would be 21 weeks +( bull****) and I should have been advised so . Not being entirely satisfied I asked for an explanation to the delay and was told by 2 separate ACS advisors that the problem is being caused by the new RD2 engine not meeting the current wtlp protocol . it would seem the vag group cannot get their **** together even in time for new orders ?

well its not good news at my end at all , my original quote of 12 - 16 weeks delivery has miraculously vanished , I am now being told to accept that at the time of order minimum delivery time would be 21 weeks +( bull****) and I should have been advised so . Not being entirely satisfied I asked for an explanation to the delay and was told by 2 separate ACS advisors that the problem is being caused by the new RD2 engine not meeting the current wtlp protocol . it would seem the vag group cannot get their **** together even in time for new orders ?

I'm not sure which engine you are ordering, however I see plenty of 1.0TFSI, 1.5TFSI and 2.0TDI 116/150 alreayd in the UK, soo I'm sure those have met the WLTP protocol. However, if you have ordered the latest 2.0TDI Quattro 200PS, ok, then maybe that one is still struggling with the WLTP protocol.

The A3 2.0 Tdi ( 30 or 35 ) has never been RDE2 complaint but was allowed to be sold before the 1st Jan 2021. Since then it’s been a problem for Audi.

Yeah I've ordered a 35 tdi 150 ps steptronic sportback edition 1 with comfort and sound pack , I called ACS 2 days prior to placing my order to ask if my selection would cause any potential delay and was assured that this would not cause any problem , and informed it would be within the standard 12 - 16 weeks