Conservatory Build Costs

samuelt

Reaction score
HI All

I have just got a cracking deal on an ex-display wickes conservatory it is 4m wide x 3.5m deep and is a Dawrf wall double hipped bungalow style.

I have just had a quote to do the complete building job from scratch (my garden is level). the builder is highly recomened and I know he will do a good job.

THe work includes start to finish on the conservatory. He will also have to block up and plaster the window in my stairs(1m sq) as the conservatory will cover it. He is including all the platering, NO electrics - well everything bar the flooring. he has quoted me £5700 - how does this sound in the current 'credit crunch' climete?

Does the cost include the footings and building inspector if required?
Offer him £6k to include the flooring.
Are there any electrics required?

it includes the footings. my wife is doing all the drawings for the building warrent. tried to get him to do it for £6k and to include the velux window we want in the stair roof (to replace the lost window) but he waas not to keen. window is £400 + fitting.

Not bad... mind you the Wickes ones are easy to put up. Me and my Dad put his up over a weekend.... But we kinda had a head start as the concrete base from a 20 year old one we'd ripped down the weekend before was already there.

i guess this will be even easier as it will be half built! He plans to start and finish in 3 weeks or less, This seems good, as last time i got a conservatory built the guy took 6 months! and i had no end of trouble with him!!!

I suppose if i project managed it myself i could save a bit maybe 1-1.5k but do i have time.. no and it would be helpfull to get it completed quickly as my 2 year old daughter will want out in the gardens A.S.A.P as the weather changed.

I think i am kind of selling it to myself, jsut wondered if anyone thought that this price was way out?

lmao, what he plans to do & what he actually does is another story fella, I'd get him to sign something that keeps him contracted to finish within the stated timescale & any day after is penalised, then he wont do the usual builder things like finish at 11am etc, its becoming more common practise tbh, hold him to it with a signature, if problems then stands up in court, he will be more inclined to get it done then trust me, his day rate penalty a day would make him think twice before fecking about

You are project managing it yourself to save £1 - £1.5k ?
I do it for a living and even I am cheaper than that :haha:
I will do you for £250 a day + expenses or two days a week for a fee of 10% of final value.

Like NHN says get him contracted to finish, reasonable timescale etc. Oh, and only pay upfront for the materials, do not under any circumstances pay the lot up front. Not one builder I know will have the same commitment to a job once they have been paid.

If you work out his labour costs at £150 a day per person x days to get job complete then you will come to the approx figure it should cost. Don't go for day rate, get a price and agree it in writing.
The best builders are the ones who come recommended. And don't forget the very big huge golden rule, a good contractor is a busy contractor. If he can fit you in next week then look elsewhere, if he says the earliest he can start is in a few weeks then go for it.