Considering a brand new S3 saloon...questions!

EcosseA6

Reaction score
What's the ride quality like on optional 19 inch rims on standard suspension? Is it noticeably better on 18s? I've an A6 40 TDI (2019) and worried the S3 will be too harsh. Know the S3 will be firmer but what are 19s on stock suspension like?

Reactions: auzzam_crd
What's the ride quality like on optional 19 inch rims on standard suspension? Is it noticeably better on 18s? I've an A6 40 TDI (2019) and worried the S3 will be too harsh. Know the S3 will be firmer but what are 19s on stock suspension like?
If it's the same as the edition1 with the 19s, nothing to be worried about.

You'll enjoy the reduced arch gap!

Reactions: STmichael
I have the optional 19 inch Trapezoid alloys on my S3 and find it absolutely fine. My girlfriends BMW 128ti is on 18s and is noticeably firmer.

Thanks for the feedback guys, will make my mind up later this week. Ride quality and legroom in the back are my main concerns, good to know I don’t need to worry about ride quality at least! Had a 2016 S3 previously but used to a big A6 for the last 2 years, love the A6 so I’m conflicted at present and can’t make up my mind on the S3 saloon!

I have the optional 19 inch Trapezoid alloys on my S3 and find it absolutely fine. My girlfriends BMW 128ti is on 18s and is noticeably firmer.

The 128ti likely to have run flats which tend to be firmer ride too.

Hi EcosseA6
I too was in exactly the same position as you. I can out of an A6 40 TDI saloon 68 plate. My A6 had the S-Line 19” wheels, not sure about yours.
I’m now in an S3 8y, with the 19” trapezoid wheels.
Not wanting to put you off but if comfort is your primary concern then you’ll notice the increased road noise more than the firmness of the car.
Comfort - A6 by a long stretch
Quietness - A6 by a long stretch
Space - A6 by miles.
Everything else - S3.
Fortunately, after a few months I’ve gotten used to it and the S3 “wins” for me!

Take a test drive in one in one of you can!

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Lambtech, thanks for your feedback. On balance, would you go for the S3 again knowing what you know now? Are the trade-offs in comfort/noise/refinement worth it overall? I have a 2019 A6 40 TDI on 19" alloys, S line suspension, but also had a /66 plate S3 hatch previously. I know that the S3 can't possibly come close to the A6 for comfort, space and ability to waft along the road, but its a tempting proposition and I fear that the gov beaurocrats will soon get rid of cars like the S and RS cars in favour of electrics. So I'm tempted to enjoy one last hoorah in a good petrol back-road blaster! It's a really difficult choice for me! :)

Hi Lambtech, thanks for your feedback. On balance, would you go for the S3 again knowing what you know now? Are the trade-offs in comfort/noise/refinement worth it overall? I have a 2019 A6 40 TDI on 19" alloys, S line suspension, but also had a /66 plate S3 hatch previously. I know that the S3 can't possibly come close to the A6 for comfort, space and ability to waft along the road, but its a tempting proposition and I fear that the gov beaurocrats will soon get rid of cars like the S and RS cars in favour of electrics. So I'm tempted to enjoy one last hoorah in a good petrol back-road blaster! It's a really difficult choice for me! :)

I think once you’ve gotten used to it then yeah the trade offs are worth it for sure.
With the S3 being an “S” then the residuals are a lot better (usually) too. The **** absolutely fell out of the value of my A6 so jumped when I could!
I’m six months into the S3 now, and after the initial “change curve” with the noise and firmness it’s more than fine. Just stick it out until you’ve adjusted.
Another thing you may find is that because you’re coming from a diesel you’re driving style may not suit the car initially. Mine didn’t (still doesn’t fully) but I’m getting there now. For me, the gearbox either wants to change up too soon in D or too late in S when just strumming about. I wish there was a middle ground but again, maybe that’s just me!

What colour/spec would you get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk