Considering an S4

benjie

Reaction score
Swindon - home of the 'Magic' Roundabout.
Hi all, I've popped over from the B6 forum as I am considering buying a B8 S4 - avant or saloon, I don't mind.
I've done a bit of reading and decided I'd really like an S-Tronic with ADS/sports diff (& maybe advanced key). I have a few cars in mind.

I'm just looking for any recommendations of little gems of info from you lot as to things I should look out for on an S4 or on the B8 chassis in general as I have very little experience of them.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Benjie

Plenty of info here:-
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4-a4-a4-cab-b8-chassis/209332-7-weeks-3200-miles-into-s4-ownership.html

I used to have a B6 S4 Avant, but have had a string of Diesels since - just ordered a new S4 Avant, but wont get that until June!
I haven driven a few B8 S4s as well as a few S5s and personally can't fault the cars.
For me Advance key is a nice to have gimmick not necessary - Drive select, well I'm sure some would say is a must and if you can find a second-hand car with the sports diff then its a bonus! Super sport seats are nice too!

Second-hand S4 Avants with the spec and colour I wanted, seem to be rare as rocking horse sh#t.
So with the current finance deal and discounts I ordered a new one. But it depends on your budget I guess.

Used or New?

Sport diff's are pretty rare when buying used so don't rule-out a well specced S4 because it doesnt have a S/diff or you may miss out on a great buy.

If new - then spec the S/diff as it's not a hugely expensive option. I guess it all boils down to how you drive the car, as to whether or not you will appreciate it.

ADS - imo nice to play around with, especially when in individual mode - would I spec it again, probably yes.

Advanced key - I think it's great - key in pocket and forget it's there, except when it's needed to open the auto boot!

If you go for a 'Black edition' you will get the B&O hifi system which is a must if you enjoy your music.

Super-sports seat are real nice, although expensive - not sure if I would spec again as Alcantara seats look real nice as well.

Phone prep 'high' is good, if like me you have two sim cards - pop one sim card (pay-as-you-go) into the sim card slot and just leave it there for google maps navigation and the internet - just top-up when it runs out. You can then use your mobile phone for calls via bluetooth.

Hope some of this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottishA4B9
Thanks for the replies. My post last night was a little vague. I'm planning on buying used, about 26k max.

I've seen your post Keef, was very useful. What are the super sports seats like?

Sports diff - I've read about it and lots of people say it's brilliant. I don't generally drive like a loon and won't track the car, so would you say it's not essential? And am I right in thinking that the ADS options in the MMI menu will tell me if it has the diff - if it has an option for it? Looking at adverts, it seems like a lot of sellers (including Audi) don't know the options on the car they are selling!

A few more things I'm not sure about...

MMI 3G Nav - As far as I can tell, there 2 versions, one that has the navigation on a DVD and another that has it on HDD? How would you tell the difference?

S-Tronic - what are the time/distance intervals for the fluid change? I'm lucky to live near-ish to MRC so will probably get them to do it.

Hay we have just bought a b8 s4 avant it's a 59 plate it's got an s Tronic box and we love it! We also have a b6 s4 cab. They are totally different cars but if u have a b6 a4 you'll love the b8. The power is lovely . Gear box is a little jerky in lower gears and I have to remember not to use the throttle when I first reverse ( as it doesn't like it!) but as soon as u get used to it it's really a lovely car. Ours has just had both gearbox fluids changed I believe they recommend it being replaced after 40k. We also had a gearbox software update done which is really recommend. It's made the gear box a lot smoother in the lower gears.

Ours has the 3G nav which plays DVDs .. The quality is amazing considering it's in a car! Bluetooth phone works really well as does the I pod connector. This is something I wished was on the b6! Heated seats are lovely . We don't have the b & O upgrade which is a Shame but the standard stereo is really alright! So far so good!

I went and put a deposit on it. Blimey it was good. Solid and beautiful car.

Spec is:
- Avant, Misano Red
- S-Tronic (mechatronics unit replaced with updated version)
- Parking system plus (front/rear sensors with rear camera)
- ADS with sports diff
- ACC (this is actually amazing!)
- Lane change assistant
- Slam the brakes on if you're going to crash assistant
- Panoramic sunroof
- Power tailgate
- MMI 2G (shame really, would have liked 3G)
- Black/Silvery leather seats with memory function (very lovely and they heat up ****** quickly!)
- 19" 7 arm double spokes.
- B&O stereo with DAB & AMI
- Boot securing rails to hold your stuff still

But the best bit, beyond all of the above - that is one peach of an engine. It sounds so refined, but goes mad when you plant the throttle, I got to 100 before I realised (on a private road of course). There's no way in hell it's putting out 333bhp, it's such a conservative figure!

Pics to follow...

Well done, That sounds like a lovely car. You won't regret it. I have a 2010 S4 avant and love it. What year is yours? Cheers

Ah congratulations!! I knew you d enjoy one!!! Looking forward to seeing pictures!

Nice one Benjie - congrats!

Sounds like a great spec, you could always upgrade the MMI unit to 3G or even 3G+ - a few guys on here have done it but
we are taking £2-3K!
We defo need some pics, when do you collect? - is it from an approved dealer or private?

Cheers
Keef

Apologies for the continued slow replies, work has been manic.
Thanks for the nice comments. I've done a fair bit of reading on the car and read the MMI upgrade threads Keef - I think it can be done for cheaper if you're patient with collecting the bits - but the brains behind it seem to be keeping the cards close to their chest regarding cabling/coding. Private seller, collecting at the weekend hopefully!
It's 2009 AFN, wanted newer, but the car has been really well cared for - meticulously so, plus it has Audi warranty until September.
Audi.Quattro - where are you based?
Here it is... a couple of things I will need to give my attention to (tiny mark on one alloy and 2-3 indentations in the paint on the leading edge of the bonnet), but otherwise I think it's one of the best looking cars on the road today.

PS: I got 19mpg on a 30min test drive!

Reactions: Tim17, AFN1980 and scotty76
Thanks ScottishS3, I wonder why you say it's the best colour?!! Out of interest, where did you get you RS4 grille from? Price&pics? Just being nosey, won't be touching it for a while, but worth noting!

Thanks ScottishS3, I wonder why you say it's the best colour?!! Out of interest, where did you get you RS4 grille from? Price&pics? Just being nosey, won't be touching it for a while, but worth noting!

If you check my RS4 grille fitting guide in this forum there is a link to the sellers eBay page. It's around £59 for the grille and £30 delivery and £12 customs charge on arrival in UK from US.

Car looks lovely mate. Looks in excellent condition. Always nice to see a car keep in such great shape. You will love it. I really like the 2-tone leather. Mine is all black. Makes me want to get it re-trimmed! lol

Enjoy it!!

Looks lovely and really love the red! I bet your counting down the sleeps till u can collect it!

Nice ride. Enjoy it for a while, and with a simple remap, u will be flying.. :)

Thanks all, and thanks ScottishS3 for the links - it looks really great. Perhaps something for the "once the warranty's gone" list.
Thanks junchen - I live quite close to MRC, so may end up there for a stage 2 (pulley/belt kit) done, near 500bhp I hear! Not too soon though, 333bhp from a 150bhp A4 - I definitely need long, long period of adjustment!

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
Thanks all, and thanks ScottishS3 for the links - it looks really great. Perhaps something for the "once the warranty's gone" list.
Thanks junchen - I live quite close to MRC, so may end up there for a stage 2 (pulley/belt kit) done, near 500bhp I hear! Not too soon though, 333bhp from a 150bhp A4 - I definitely need long, long period of adjustment!

Good problem to have. I'm on a 200hp a4 (stage 1, 1.8). Would love to have your 'problem'. Haha :)

WOW! Wow, Wow, Wow!

As you may have already guessed, I picked up the car today. What an absolute pleasure it is to drive. I haven't quite got the accelerator pedal down to a tee yet (I am pressing too gently and not quick enough) so it's a bit 'all or nothing' but I'm very impressed. It's a very precise machine. On the drive home I got 29mpg (panicking on the motorway at 65mph) then, after a stop at the rents for dinner, 22mpg on the drive home (that's more like it!)

Bonus - I thought the headlight stalk was faulty, but it's not, the car has high beam assist! (I think)

Reactions: sammi and ScottishA4B9