Considering S4 avant

Dvapower

Reaction score
Hello, my wife currently has an A3 sportback for lugging around the grandkids, it is a quattro DSG 2.0T with Revo remap and does what she needs but is a little cramped with two ankle biters and associated paraphernalia. I am considering trading it up to a B8 S4 Avant for her to give a little more space. A couple of questions, I have heard the early S4s suffered with understeer, with the lighter V6 is this still the case? Realistically what sort of MPG would be expected for mixed driving? Has anyone made this step up in size? If so any feedback would be welcome. Is there a lot more room in the rear estate section?

thanks

Dave

Under steer, I think that it was a common issue with all the A4 B7 cars, well when compared with the competition, maybe one good reason to discount the Seat Exeo!

None of the "S" and "RS" series of cars will be "good" on the fuel stakes, these cars were not made for town driving, and I certainly would never inflict that sort of use on my S4.

I'd suggest getting a TDI avant for that job if the A3 is too small, or maybe a Seat Exeo estate (or what ever they call their Avant), that way you will get a bigger car, sporty type set-up with chipping possibilities and hopefully a lot more car for your money, ie newer than the A4 would be - remember Seat is said to be the sporting arm of Audi-Seat group section of VAG ??? (check out the under steer first obviously)

Hi Dave
Im a little biased, but lots of S4 info on the build threads.
I had B6 S4, and now B8, no problems with under steer but i do have dynamic steering.
I think you need to go see some as to be honest there not that big, but we have no probs with
one teenage son and loads (i mean loads!) of holiday luggage.

Mine gets used for mixed driving and has averaged about 25 mpg since I bought her new in 2012. The stop start hasn't improved the mpg but does mean that the tax is only £225 per year. I can easily get over 30mpg on a motorway run.
To get the car to understeer you have to be pushing it and if you have the sports diff you can just apply a bit more throttle to dial it out, tyres also have a bearing on this - I've stuck with continentals and find them very good.
Size wise, it's roomier than the B7 S4 that I had but not a roomy as my Octavia vrs, however I regularly have my 2 Labradors in the boot and also have 2 teenagers who have never moaned about room in the back.
If you're buying new then I'd recommend getting the sports diff, ADS and navigation everything else is down to personal choice and whatever you choose I know you'll love it.

Can't help much here but I have an S3 sportback and have an S4 avant on order. I had one out for a 24 hour test drive and fitted the child seats in the back and there was certainly more room but not a huge amount more. The rear doors are bigger which does help access and the boot is a whole lot bigger than the S3's. Although its an estate its not a big estate but deffinately roomier than the S3 sportback.

I saw both mid teens and just over 30 mpg on different runs so mid twenties sounds reasonable.

Thanks for the information chaps, I'm not overly concerned about economy as my previous M5 did only around 19 to the gallon, I was just curious. It is mainly the cargo area I am looking to increase, I think perhaps a short term loaner from a local dealer might give an idea if one will suit.

Dave

Thanks for the information chaps, I'm not overly concerned about economy as my previous M5 did only around 19 to the gallon, I was just curious. It is mainly the cargo area I am looking to increase, I think perhaps a short term loaner from a local dealer might give an idea if one will suit.

Dave

I purchased a S4 avant for my wife last year, school run mpg is about 18-20mpg. It has plenty of space for my two kids with the bonus of not being too big for car park spaces. We use it as the family hack and travelled to the Alps for Christmas fully loaded, averaged 28mpg with everything fitting in (although was a bit tight!). My wife loves this car and I can't see see her wanting to change anytime soon which will free up more money for something tasty for myself!