Considering selling my 2014 Leon Cupra and buying an S4 B8.5

donovan2123

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
As above, I am seriously considering selling my 2014 Leon Cupra DSG and buying a S4 b8.5 S-Tronic.

Just after some advise about what to look out for? Any issues with gearbox? Now does it compare to dsg? Also what optional extras are a must? I really want the diff, adaptive cruise control, B&O, Heated Seats, and the higher mmi(does it have built in hdd or a way to play music from usb?)

Would be also be looking to go stage 2.

Thank in advance

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan
Yes. But depends on what year you are looking at. And what you can afford.

As yours is a 2014 I will assume same age as yours or newer.

2015 up is the newer CREC engine(has one big engine cover, and yet to be confirmed 12 injectors???). If going stage 2 then the CREC has a clutch in the supercharger I'm not sure if this is important but see Dippy's S5 thread for all and more you need to know about stage 2.

2014 last of the newer engine's (nothing to note wrong with them). The end of 2013 also sees the revision 3 gearbox so currently as good as it gets in the B8.5.

2011 sees the revision 1 gearbox. Stay away from it.

As for options

Sports diff
Keyless entry
MMI 3g, has hard drive for music, Bluetooth connection and wired conection for iPod or similar(3g plus takes a phone sim, I have it and see no real point to it)
Cruise control (wasn't fussed with adaptive)
ADS with adaptive steering (love this, goes heavy for a motorway cruise and light and fast on the twisties)
Heated front seats
Adaptive headlights
The extra internal lights

I think anything else is a bonus.

The fancy suspension shocks, I would say stay away, treat them like the plague. I think about £5k+ to replace and they will go wrong. WHEN they do I think £1600 gets fully adjustable fancy coilovers that give a better ride than Audi's stuff.

I am happy to be corrected on anything I have said, I hope all I have done is start the ball rolling and others will correct me and add more info.

So are we saying anything below 2013 is a no go area.

In other words it has to be 2013 - 2015..?

Was actually originally looking at a 2010-2012

I wouldn't say a no go, but lots of stories of gearbox going breasts skywards.

And you did say a B8.5, I thought they were 2012 onwards.

Now we know the age you are looking at I'm sure others will provide or point you to the right info.

I've just done something similar. I went from a 2014 Octavia vRS DSG to a 2009 S4 Avant S-tronic.

From the invoices included with the car, my S4 has had issues with its gearbox in the past and the mechtronic unit has been replaced so I am happy, also bought a 2 year warranty with it.

Any issues with gearbox? Now does it compare to dsg?

How are you on searching for and reading stuff on the web, like these forums? If you're OK with it I'd advise you to read up on the s-tronic gearbox (aka OB5 and DL501) problems yourself. Since we don't know how many trouble-free 'boxes there are out there, we can only judge on the problem reports, and based on them buying a pre-2013 is a risk, and a pre-2011 a bigger risk. Only you can make the decision if you want to accept that risk. Ideally get a warranty.

BTW s-tronic is a dsg. It is specifically dual clutch for odd & even gears which therefore need to be selected sequentially

Also what optional extras are a must? I really want the diff, adaptive cruise control, B&O, Heated Seats, and the higher mmi(does it have built in hdd or a way to play music from usb?)
If you don't want to spend too long looking, then as few as possible. As soon as you want the sports diff box checked you will have cut down your market to about 10%? ACC is fairly rare and I think heated seats might be too. For the HDD jukebox it needs to have the MMI Nav plus.

Would be also be looking to go stage 2.
I guess that rules out the warranty then! Unless you manage to find a car with a well-serviced gearbox which maybe already has had some repairs done on it then you'll need to self-insure. The worst case these days should not be a complete replacement (very expensive) and there are a few posts about from owners who have had repairs done.

I have a 2010 car with all the options you have stated. I did a full service including box and diff oils as a precaution the week I purchased the vehicle. I do this with all my new to me vehicles. I've be led to believe Mech units fail due to a lack of regular oil changes. Mine has been problem free. Just completed a 2000 mile round trip to Spain and back with the fam in the summer. After adjusting to the fuel stops after a diesel Merc I cant fault the car. I am currently stage 1 which I only had done as I got a really good deal at a show from Celtic. Going MRC stage 2 next year. Its my first Audi, Im not quite sure why as over the years I had pretty much everything else. If I knew what I know now id have bought one years ago.

I have a 2010 car with all the options you have stated. I did a full service including box and diff oils as a precaution the week I purchased the vehicle. I do this with all my new to me vehicles. I've be led to believe Mech units fail due to a lack of regular oil changes. Mine has been problem free. Just completed a 2000 mile round trip to Spain and back with the fam in the summer. After adjusting to the fuel stops after a diesel Merc I cant fault the car. I am currently stage 1 which I only had done as I got a really good deal at a show from Celtic. Going MRC stage 2 next year. Its my first Audi, Im not quite sure why as over the years I had pretty much everything else. If I knew what I know now id have bought one years ago.
What car did you have before? So you wouldn't be to concerned about the gearbox issues? How do you find gearbox in terms of speed of shifts, speed of downshifting etc?

I ran an E350 Cab before. Shift speeds fine for what I need. I will however have a box tune with the stage 2 to adjust pressures to cope with the extra grunt. I'm not saying don't worry altogether about the gearbox. There have been many issue reported. But as with anything if you look into a specific model you will always find some sort of horror story associated with said model. As this is such a discussed topic there are numerous repair options now so not as much of a financial knock as it used to be. As with any modern car if anything major fails associated with engine or box your up for a reasonable bill. If we didn't by cars just in-case they go wrong we would all be driving very boring vehicles. I made sure I had a good indy garage local before I made the leap from Mercedes. Ironically up to the Audi I went main dealer for servicing etc. I heard such crap reports about Audi dealers and due to the age of mine I have gone indy this time. The guy put my mind at rest he even suggested a gearbox expert to call to explain what if anything could go wrong and the repair options. Trust your instincts when you view as to whether its been looked after. Service history/stamps is one thing. Things like cheap crap tyres means its been maintained on a budget. Get good history and personally bang it straight in for a full monty service and once over once its in your stable.

Reactions: donovan2123
Just worth mentioning on later cars the service record is all electronic so no book / stamps. I believe you can ask Audi for a print out.

As soon as you want the sports diff box checked you will have cut down your market to about 10%? ACC is fairly rare and I think heated seats might be too. For the HDD jukebox it needs to have the MMI Nav plus.
My experience, last year, when I bought mine, aligns with this. ACC was a must but of the 20 or so cars available at the time, only one had it and the shortfall in the rest of the spec didn't make it worthwhile proposition. So I focused on other must haves, like Sports Diff, Super Sports seats, active dampers (so full ADS), B&O, power tail gate and Parking System Advanced (rear camera).
The only minor option I wanted and didn't get on mine was heated seats. But, I wasn't going to turn my nose up at a cracking example because of that.

I've be led to believe Mech units fail due to a lack of regular oil changes.
My understanding is that the most common reason for the Mechatronic problems is the PCB failure, where the circuit 'tracks' lift, due to a reaction with the fluid they're submersed in. Clearly changing the fluid at the recommended intervals is a good idea but having just done mine, I'd suggest the filter is the important part of the equation. My ATF fluid was clear and clean, the filter was black, so it had clearly been doing its job very well.
With that in mind, depending on the mileage on the examples the OP's looking at, make sure the filter has been changed too, if the S-Tronic has been serviced.

To answer the questions that haven't been answered - I think which options are a must, is a personal thing. Although I wanted the Sports Diff, as it seemed to be recommended, I don't drive the car in a fashion to actually need it. It's nice to be able to play with it though! :yes:

I would suggest the active dampers are recommended as comfort really is quite different to Dynamic and makes driving on our roads much more enjoyable. B&O would also be something I recommend, even though I hardly use mine. When I do, it does sound good. And I was in to car audio for a while in a previous life.
Adaptive Lights is a good one, for obvious reasons.
Have a read of the online brochure and see which options appeal and use them as guidance. I would suggest you don't take the dealers word for it on options though, as they're either incorrect or more often, not a complete list. When you find the car you like, get the registration and give Audi customer services a call and ask them what options are fitted. You'll get teh full breakdown then.

Paul

Just for comparison I have a low option S4 and don't really miss much. I've had it from new so got to choose. ACC would have been nice but was a £1200 option so I passed. I also didn't know how useful it would be until years later when my wife's Golf arrived. :)

I don't have adaptive dampers and don't find the ride unreasonable. More here: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s4-1000-mile-mini-review.226733/

I got my S4 with just a basic spec and don't feel like I've missed out on anyting. The only upgrade I have done is to MMI+ as it allows you to stream music via bluetooth which isn't possible on the lower spec MMI systems without an aftermarket adaptor.

I'm sure sports diff would be nice but I have tracked mine and it performed well with just an uprated rear ARB.

Options really push up the price so look at how much you want to spend and are the extras really worth it.

Reactions: scotty76
Ps. B&O is good.

Black edition is a good way of getting a few upgrades without bumping up the price too much

Thanks all. Still undecided unfortunately.

ACC would have been nice but was a £1200 option so I passed.
Agreed at that price. In 2015 the assistance package which was ACC with braking guard and also side assist was only £625.

@donovan2123 - Funny that
I've gone from a B8.5 S4 s-tronic
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/bhs-sepang-blue-b8-5-audi-s4-black-edition-saloon.240456/

to a new 300 Leon Cupra
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/bhs-mystery-blue-mk3-seat-leon-cupra-300-5-door.340323/

I never really got on with the s-tronic and much prefer the manual GB on the Cupra
It must be down to the fact I've gone from a AWD to a FWD because I swear the Cupra feels quicker ('seat of the pants dyno' I believe this effect is referred too lol)

Reactions: NevMan
It must be down to the fact I've gone from a AWD to a FWD because I swear the Cupra feels quicker ('seat of the pants dyno' I believe this effect is referred too lol)
That will be down to the torque delivery of the turbo v's the supercharger. The Leon being 200Kg lighter will also help... :yes:

Paul

Reactions: NevMan and Bristle Hound