Continuing problems... Haldex? CV Joint?

Drysdaro

Reaction score
Well, I've had a few problems recently. First was the turbo pipe coming from the turbo onto the charge pipe ruptured:

ogay.jpg
mdagi.jpg

Which has been temporarily sorted with good old duct tape:
zzmr.jpg

Good as new. Well, until my new item arrives.

BUT I have a new/old problem I am becoming concerned about. I get a squeaking/binding sound when I turn at slow speeds. Sounds kind of like rubber on rubber or something if I only apply slight turn, but when I'm at full lock it gets way more bindy sounding. I initially suspected wheel binding or rubbing as I recently got the car and it has 19" rims as opposed to the stock 18's. I couldn't see any clean marks or any sign of rubbing in any of the arches though. However, I did notice that my front passenger side outer CV joint has a split in it and has been throwing grease EVERYWHERE. Which is bad. But this also leads me to think that the noise is possibly a worn CV joint?

That was my thoughts until today when reversing out of my drive on full lock the noise appeared and with it I felt something binding to the point that I could feel the engine working against it. After drawing forward and reversing under a less sever angle it didn't seem to come back.

Could this be the CV joint, or could it be something worse? I'm thinking possible Haldex problems, but I have yet to test this (remove fuse and see if it persists?).

I'm new to the world of S3's and AWD/Haldex so even the most basic info/assistance is very welcome.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Get your haldex serviced, oil and filter change. i had the same problem with my car, got it serviced (around £100 iirc) and no more problems :)

Well, I've had a few problems recently. First was the turbo pipe coming from the turbo onto the charge pipe ruptured:

ogay.jpg
mdagi.jpg

Which has been temporarily sorted with good old duct tape:
zzmr.jpg

Good as new. Well, until my new item arrives.

BUT I have a new/old problem I am becoming concerned about. I get a squeaking/binding sound when I turn at slow speeds. Sounds kind of like rubber on rubber or something if I only apply slight turn, but when I'm at full lock it gets way more bindy sounding. I initially suspected wheel binding or rubbing as I recently got the car and it has 19" rims as opposed to the stock 18's. I couldn't see any clean marks or any sign of rubbing in any of the arches though. However, I did notice that my front passenger side outer CV joint has a split in it and has been throwing grease EVERYWHERE. Which is bad. But this also leads me to think that the noise is possibly a worn CV joint?

That was my thoughts until today when reversing out of my drive on full lock the noise appeared and with it I felt something binding to the point that I could feel the engine working against it. After drawing forward and reversing under a less sever angle it didn't seem to come back.

Could this be the CV joint, or could it be something worse? I'm thinking possible Haldex problems, but I have yet to test this (remove fuse and see if it persists?).

I'm new to the world of S3's and AWD/Haldex so even the most basic info/assistance is very welcome.

Thanks.

i had the exact same symptoms. I whipped out fuse 31 and the noise went. Changed the haldex oil and filter. Noise gone

Sounds pretty conclusive! I just happen to have a tube of the oil that the previous owner gave me with the car, so all I need is the filter then.

How difficult is the service? 2 day jobbie? 2 hour jobbie? I assume it can by myself rather than a garage...

Hmm, would it be possible to bodge up a makeshift tool do you think? Saying that, I wouldn't want to start on it and not be able to finish because I can't make a tool for it.

The filter finally arrived yesterday, so servicing the Haldex is tonight's job.

However, I have noticed a loud noise coming from the rear of the car, and it's getting LOUDER. It sounds like a kind of rubbing/grumbling. The pitch of the sound changes with road speed, and if I dip the clutch it persists, so it must therefore be from the transmission, I think. I am REALLY hoping it's coming from the Haldex and that it goes away with the oil and filter change tonight, but what if it doesn't?

I want to change the gearbox and diff oil soon, just in case the noise isn't coming from the Haldex. It also sounds like it could be coming from something possibly rubbing/binding. Anyone got any ideas what this could be?

With regards to the other noise coming from the rear whilst driving, could still be the haldex.

If not, possibly the diff, or maybe a wheel bearing. Not much else down there that should whinge in straight line driving.

Cheers guys. I'll report back once I get this oil changed and I'll have a bit of a poke about while I'm down there.

andy1, The previous owner fitted spacers with the wheels, which I found out the other day when I went to get my wheels balanced. Regardless, there doesn't seem to be any signs of rubbing/binding but I'll have a good look tonight.

The binding noise could be a sticky rear caliper, my car used to do it when reversing full lock, something else to look into if it's not the haldex

Aha, I'll add that to my list of things to look out for tonight. :thumbsup:

Update time:

So I tried changing the filter without the tool. It wasn't happening, so now I have a tool on order.

I have looked for signs of anything funny, but everything looks and feels in decent shape. Well...

I noticed the other day that the previous owner had fitted non hub-centric wheel spacers on the front, so I took a wheel off to see what size they were so I could get a proper set. I then discovered that my disc was missing the screw to locate it. So as I replaced the screw I noticed that both the outer AND inner CV boots are gubbed, with the inner one being very burst. So both boots are split on the front passenger side. Coincidence? Not sure, but that's another thing on my list of things to replace.

The shopping list grows..

Could someone confirm that the correct oil for the rear diff is 75w-85, and maybe the best stuff to get? Some people are saying it could be 75w-90, but I'm not sure where to check.

I also need to now chase up the shop that sent me my locking wheel bolts, as the ones they sent have a spherical seat rather than an angled one.

Conclusion: Today I got nothing done.

Just thought I'd update this in case it might help someone searching for a solution to the same problem.

I changed the oil and filter (the tool is a must), and the binding has gone! Good result for a small price.