Continuous Problems - car in garage for a 4th time in 4 months.

Jay Zaccarini

JZ new A3
Reaction score
Hi , Just looking for some advice and to see if anybody has had similar issues.
I've got an A3 Sportback s-line 30tfsi Manual , picked up on September the 1st this year.
I've driven 1700 miles and I've had nothing but problems with this car, i was so looking forward to getting it being a major upgrade over my old A1.

issues I've had below
- MMI problems, my account drops out all the time and goes back to guest
- Audi pre-sense fault
- Wing Mirror electrical fault and squeaking
- Rattle from the steering column (getting investigated next week)
- Hand brake fault , sticking constantly (getting investigating next week) - won't come off even when on auto , been stuck at traffic lights on a number of occasions.
- Start Stop system failure (getting investigated next week)

I'm in touch with Audi UK atm and they have been really helpful , they're going to go through my options depending what they find out on the car next week.

cheers

Reactions: ADE2000
I’m sorry to hear this. I’ve had a couple of issues already.

Firstly trouble with my airbag. Every time I went over a bump in the road it rattled. Was in 3 times before they changed the airbag completely. Fine now.

It’s currently at Audi (again) with the drivers wing mirror this time loudly squeaking like mad when it folds/unfolds. VERY embarrassing on a 70 reg car as it’s very loud. Hopefully pick it up tomorrow and all will be well and hopefully no more issues.

They did however say that there’s a software upgrade. Something to do with the MMI & the electrics so we’ll see how that goes. That might solve one or two of your issues.

Reactions: ADE2000 and Jay Zaccarini
The fact that you are already in touch with Audi Uk and they will discuss your options suggest they will offer you a replacement. Being stuck at traffic lights due to handbrake failure is a serious safety issue. Hope you get it resolved soon. Good luck:thumbs up:

Reactions: Audidryver, Jay Zaccarini and JohnM100
Just got my car back. The drivers wing mirror motor was defective so the whole unit was replaced. This may be an issue with yours too.

Reactions: Jay Zaccarini
Hey Jay, I commented on your YouTube video when you first got your car as I had just ordered mine!

Unfortunately, my car broke down last night... 3 and a half months old with a Red electrical fault message, Drive system warning to contact service and a Start System warning to contact service too.

The car has never been right since I had mine delivered and honestly I’ve lost confidence in the ****** thing. 70 plate vehicles shouldn’t do this, not this early - it has numerous faults and quite frankly, I regret my purchase...

I’ll post photos of the error messages soon.

Reactions: ADE2000 and Jay Zaccarini
The car has never been right since I had mine delivered and honestly I’ve lost confidence in the ****** thing. 70 plate vehicles shouldn’t do this, not this early - it has numerous faults and quite frankly, I regret my purchase...

My current car is a Golf, which I bought new (it was an early mark 6). It spent 3 of its first 6 months in the garage with engine (oil pump failure, requiring a replacement engine) and gear box (rattling in neutral) problems. Since then, I’ve had over a decade of reliable service out of it. So just because a car has some problems in the early days, doesn’t mean that it’s always going to be a problem car.

(It’s one of the risks when buying a new model early in the production run, there are bound to be some teething problems in some of the first build cars.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcbmally
You have the right to reject the car if Audi have been unable to fix the problems, this is much easier to do if the car is less then 6 months old so if this is something you would want to do I would act sooner rather than later.

Reactions: ADE2000, Jcbmally, KenL and 1 other person
My current car is a Golf, which I bought new (it was an early mark 6). It spent 3 of its first 6 months in the garage with engine (oil pump failure, requiring a replacement engine) and gear box (rattling in neutral) problems. Since then, I’ve had over a decade of reliable service out of it. So just because a car has some problems in the early days, doesn’t mean that it’s always going to be a problem car.

(It’s one of the risks when buying a new model early in the production run, there are bound to be some teething problems in some of the first build cars.)

I get this, my previous Audis have had some minor faults that I could deal with but I kinda don’t wanna have to do this.

After my car was recovered by Audi Breakdown it turns out there is a fault with the Hybrid Control Module, the 3 phase alternator for the Hybrid system and a battery fault.

Hull Audi in their wisdom trying to fix the issue did... apply a software update, which did nothing and the car still flashes up an Electrical System fault :/

Reactions: AdamInKent
You have the right to reject the car if Audi have been unable to fix the problems, this is much easier to do if the car is less then 6 months old so if this is something you would want to do I would act sooner rather than later.

Tbf this is my port of call now the car is still faulty... probably going to have a challenge with it though as you’re required to take it to the original dealer.

The vehicle was from Lease4Less/Lex Autolease provided by Newbury Audi... I live in Hull, 240 miles away. Hopefully I can argue my point across and sort something out!

Tbf this is my port of call now the car is still faulty... probably going to have a challenge with it though as you’re required to take it to the original dealer.

The vehicle was from Lease4Less/Lex Autolease provided by Newbury Audi... I live in Hull, 240 miles away. Hopefully I can argue my point across and sort something out!

The actual rejection process was started and handled by Mercedes-AMG UK, my dealer was just who I initially took the car to for the repairs. When they didn’t repair the faults it was basically handled by MB UK. If you have already had the car with the dealership to be repaired you should probably phone Audi UK and advise them you would like to start a rejection process. They will be able to tell you the procedure, mine took around 3 months from my first phone call to actually handing the car back.

The actual rejection process was started and handled by Mercedes-AMG UK, my dealer was just who I initially took the car to for the repairs. When they didn’t repair the faults it was basically handled by MB UK. If you have already had the car with the dealership to be repaired you should probably phone Audi UK and advise them you would like to start a rejection process. They will be able to tell you the procedure, mine took around 3 months from my first phone call to actually handing the car back.

Thank you for this info, I’ve only ever rejected one car before and that was a Fiesta but that was handled solely by the originating dealer - I’ve let Audi UK know about the issue via Twitter however I think I’ll be giving them a call today to see what I can do.

Reactions: Chris4410
If you do manage to talk to AudiUk today make sure to ask for a confirmation email. Unless you record the phone call you haven't got any records of what is said.:thumbs up:

Reactions: Jcbmally and jackandrew1995
Thanks everyone for your advice and shared concerns.

Wing mirror was speaking badly and they put some lubricant on it and it's now okay, however was told it may come back and to use WD40 on it...?

The Rattle was found and it was from the airbag in the steering wheel, this was replaced and the rattle is now gone.
The battery on my car was only 60% charged and that was blamed for the warning lights popping up, however they charged it up and they are still appearing every day, i have once again contacted Audi about this.

They investigated my handbrake issue, they said they couldn't find a fault with it but it's still sticking on a daily occurrence, so once again i have contacted Audi to get it sorted. I live over an hour away from my local dealership and this will be the 5th time now i go up meaning taking another day off work.

Would you suggest i hand the car back to Audi? it's a 70 plate and done 2000 miles, have i now not kept the car for to long to reject it? If i wanted to how would i initiate the process for this please?

Thanks
Jay

Reactions: pburv
Thanks everyone for your advice and shared concerns.

Wing mirror was speaking badly and they put some lubricant on it and it's now okay, however was told it may come back and to use WD40 on it...?

The Rattle was found and it was from the airbag in the steering wheel, this was replaced and the rattle is now gone.
The battery on my car was only 60% charged and that was blamed for the warning lights popping up, however they charged it up and they are still appearing every day, i have once again contacted Audi about this.

They investigated my handbrake issue, they said they couldn't find a fault with it but it's still sticking on a daily occurrence, so once again i have contacted Audi to get it sorted. I live over an hour away from my local dealership and this will be the 5th time now i go up meaning taking another day off work.

Would you suggest i hand the car back to Audi? it's a 70 plate and done 2000 miles, have i now not kept the car for to long to reject it? If i wanted to how would i initiate the process for this please?

Thanks
Jay

I would hand the car back if it was me, in fact i'm trying to as we speak - i've already contacted Lex Autolease so it might take a bit of time to get mine sorted, where as it may be a bit more straight forward for you as you are in touch with your originating dealer.

I find it odd that your dealer simply lubricated the wing mirror? Mine had the same issue with the passenger mirror and they replaced the full mirror housing (Hull Audi) - weird though that you've been given the same excuse of "battery not being charged fully" for the warning lights, mine have come back too after being charged over night at the dealer.

We're in the same boat here, both being about the same age vehicle on the same-ish milage (2200 for me) - you're fully within your rights to reject the vehicle under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. You've given the dealer multiple times to resolve the same issue on the car and they have failed to do so, however because its later than 30 days after purchase, but less than 6 months, you will not get a 100% refund on the car, they can claim a reduction in value for the car based on mileage and age but you can negotiate it.

Key part for you is that the dealer is obligated to collect the vehicle as to not put you out of time!

There is guidance here that i've looked at before - https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/rejecting-a-car/

Here to help if you need anything man!
Might be better for you to get another A1 like the one it replaced ;)

Reactions: KenL, pburv and AdamInKent
I have the almost same issues as Jay except for the folding mirrors and the hand break issues.
In my case it mostly has to do with the MMI getting disconnected all the time, and the famous SOS call popping up out of nowhere, and now it's also all sort of Audi assist alerts that pop up and also the start and stop that does not always work (it has a mind of it's own).

I am beyond disappointed with the car and Audi overall, because let's be clear about something here folks, They absolutely have no idea what is wrong with their A3s (or, which is worst, the car represents a segment they absolutely do not care about and they're not going to do anything about it at all except if we make them).

I am also thinking about refusing my car, the only issue for me is that it was bought in Germany (had to pick it up from their headquarters in Ingolstadt) so I don't know if that could be done from the UK or would I have to contact the German Audi customer service to get it done.

Reactions: jackandrew1995
I have the almost same issues as Jay except for the folding mirrors and the hand break issues.
In my case it mostly has to do with the MMI getting disconnected all the time, and the famous SOS call popping up out of nowhere, and now it's also all sort of Audi assist alerts that pop up and also the start and stop that does not always work (it has a mind of it's own).

I am beyond disappointed with the car and Audi overall, because let's be clear about something here folks, They absolutely have no idea what is wrong with their A3s (or, which is worst, the car represents a segment they absolutely do not care about and they're not going to do anything about it at all except if we make them).

I am also thinking about refusing my car, the only issue for me is that it was bought in Germany (had to pick it up from their headquarters in Ingolstadt) so I don't know if that could be done from the UK or would I have to contact the German Audi customer service to get it done.

It does seem like they don’t really know what’s going on with the newer A3; I was quite disappointed in the build quality of the car too. Electrics and everything I can sorta see if it was all new... but the MMI and Pre Sense tech is the same as in the new A1 and Q3 that’s been out for a couple of years already?

I couldn’t test drive at the time of order so I went off of reviews but the one thing I didn’t think of was road noise. Coming from an 8V to 8Y and the thing I notice the most is road noise; it’s so loud and no where near as relaxing to drive I don’t think.

I thought you still had to purchase through a UK dealer to do the Germany pick up? Might have to be an Audi Customer Care affair for you man.

The outcome will really come down to the dealer and Audi UK, I was 3 months into ownership when I started the rejection process on my A35 AMG. The process took approximaltey 3 months, so the car was actually 6 months old when it was handed back. I received all my money back for the car, I also received some financial compensation from Mercedes Benz UK.

Audi may handle things differently, but to start the process with Mercedes I called them and they give me a rejection reference number and a specific case handler. It wasn't a fun process, I spent a lot of time on the phone, there were also two independent assessments of the car carried out before a final decision was made. However the outcome was good for me, and I certainly couldn't have lived with the faults my car had for 3 years.

Reactions: KenL, pburv and Jcbmally
This makes for grim reading. I wonder if the cars currently rolling of the production line have the same issues.

Or is it just those of us who got the first batch?

Hi all,

I just created a new thread then found this so have posted here as well.

My new A3 8Y (35 TFSI S-Tronic) has an intermittant electrical fault. On several occasion a warning has come up whilst drivng saying "Electrical system fault: Safely stop engine" This cleared itself the first 2 times, the second two it cleared after a restart. The car went in to Audi after the first 3 events. Audi did a software update which was listed as due and told me this would solve the issue. It did not, the warning came on again yesterday and is now booked back in with Audi.

Ive also had several instances of the MMI system closing down and resetting user profiles in the middle of a jouney for no reason. Very annoying as you lose Sat Nav and Music.

Ade

Reactions: jackandrew1995
How far are you into your ownership bud? If you have a look on my YouTube channel it's much wider issue and it seems even the update hasn't fixed it.

Out of interest have you got the app installed on your phone?

I genuinely think they do not know what to do, these cars have been out for months now

Reactions: ADE2000
Hi,

Had the car since mid November. Its done 1118 miles. Its on lease through lease4less/lex.

Ive had the update. Its going back on 18th Jan for a few days. The service rep showed me the list of checks they have been advised to run. They also mentioned possible Alternator/battery issue.

I do have the app, why do you ask?

Hi,

Had the car since mid November. Its done 1118 miles. Its on lease through lease4less/lex.

Ive had the update. Its going back on 18th Jan for a few days. The service rep showed me the list of checks they have been advised to run. They also mentioned possible Alternator/battery issue.

I do have the app, why do you ask?

You must have got the similar deal to me, my car is exactly the same through Lease4Less too.

I originally reported my issues to L4L and they fobbed me off and said to go to the local dealer! I wasn’t impressed.

I’m assuming your vehicle is going to be from Newbury Audi too by that chance?

You must have got the similar deal to me, my car is exactly the same through Lease4Less too.

I originally reported my issues to L4L and they fobbed me off and said to go to the local dealer! I wasn’t impressed.

I’m assuming your vehicle is going to be from Newbury Audi too by that chance?

No Lol! Im im Basingstoke so its going in again here and my car came from Hull!!

How far are you into your ownership bud? If you have a look on my YouTube channel it's much wider issue and it seems even the update hasn't fixed it.

Out of interest have you got the app installed on your phone?

I genuinely think they do not know what to do, these cars have been out for months now

Whats your youtube channel? Cant find it

No Lol! Im im Basingstoke so its going in again here and my car came from Hull!!

You’re absolutely kidding me aren’t you!?
Mine came from Newbury Audi, and I live in Hull! If my car came from Hull I’d have less trouble

You’re absolutely kidding me aren’t you!?
Mine came from Newbury Audi, and I live in Hull! If my car came from Hull I’d have less trouble

I was suprised as Lex cars should be delivered with under 100 miles on. Mine had 170. Not really bothered as its not really relevent to sorting the issue as its under warranty .

I love the car, just hope they get it sorted.

Has yours been back in yet?

Whats your youtube channel? Cant find it

Links below - make sure to subscribe :)

HTTPS://www.youtube.com/c/crdchannel

Have you they carried out recall 27i4 on your car as described on my pov video? This specifically updates the mhev controllers to prevent discharge.

The reason for asking about the app is, one of my subscribers logged out from his app and before that he was having these issues daily. Since he logged out he had a few un-iterrupted days but the car is now with Audi so we cannot test it anymore at the moment.

Have you they carried out recall 27i4 on your car as described on my pov video? This specifically updates the mhev controllers to prevent discharge.

The reason for asking about the app is, one of my subscribers logged out from his app and before that he was having these issues daily. Since he logged out he had a few un-iterrupted days but the car is now with Audi so we cannot test it anymore at the moment.

Interesting!! Yes, the car has had the update on its first visit. Its now booked for 18th Jan "for a few days" to run a load tests they showed me. Lets see what happens!

I was suprised as Lex cars should be delivered with under 100 miles on. Mine had 170. Not really bothered as its not really relevent to sorting the issue as its under warranty .

I love the car, just hope they get it sorted.

Has yours been back in yet?

Admitting mine was trailer delivered, so it came with only 8 miles on the clock (I was very surprised!).

I’m kinda out of love with the car, it’s been in the time when it broke down but that’s it. The issue I’ve left with Lex as I can’t be bothered going back and forth with the dealer, Lex and Hull Audi - I want out of it :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Admitting mine was trailer delivered, so it came with only 8 miles on the clock (I was very surprised!).

I’m kinda out of love with the car, it’s been in the time when it broke down but that’s it. The issue I’ve left with Lex as I can’t be bothered going back and forth with the dealer, Lex and Hull Audi - I want out of it :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fair enough, after a long wait for the car I feel your pain.

Im going to see what happens at the dealer. Meanwhile I will happily rack up some miles on there courtesy cars.

Good luck with your mission, let me know how it goes.

Watched your vid; Ive got the passenger door issue as well.
I was suprised you didnt add the annoyance of having to switch off the lane guidance every time you get in the car! Fing thing drives me mad! Im the driver and fully capable of steering my car and keeping it in the lane!

Hi all ,

Quick update ,
I’ve started the rejection process and it seems like the dealership isn’t willing to do a rejection in isolation just an exchange to a differ car of equal or greater value.

It’s still very early on so I will see how things progress but the car is currently being investigated again to diagnose the problems of which they will accept the rejection on.

Apparently none of the faults are of a major component failure so a full rejection is unlikely to be successful the dealership has said , how does this sound to everyone ? Reasonable or unacceptable?

cheers
Jay

Hi,

If the Audi process is anything like Mercedes it won't really matter what the dealer thinks.

My Mercedes dealer wasn't in the least supportive or helpful during the rejection process, the decision was based on the issues and the fact the car had been with the dealer 3 times and they had failed to fix them.

The decision will be made by Audi UK, the independent testing and reports are important, my car was tested twice by different companies and both were able to hear and see the problems with car, there was also the prove that the dealership had at that stage had 3 chances to fix the problems and hadn't.

Watched your vid; Ive got the passenger door issue as well.
I was suprised you didnt add the annoyance of having to switch off the lane guidance every time you get in the car! Fing thing drives me mad! Im the driver and fully capable of steering my car and keeping it in the lane!

I’ve got that passenger door issue too. Thought it was just me. I took it back to Audi a month or two ago and they said there was nothing the could do, just be firmer when closing the door. Drivers side is fine. Have you had yours sorted?

Hi all ,

Quick update ,
I’ve started the rejection process and it seems like the dealership isn’t willing to do a rejection in isolation just an exchange to a differ car of equal or greater value.

It’s still very early on so I will see how things progress but the car is currently being investigated again to diagnose the problems of which they will accept the rejection on.

Apparently none of the faults are of a major component failure so a full rejection is unlikely to be successful the dealership has said , how does this sound to everyone ? Reasonable or unacceptable?

cheers
Jay
They are talking ********. When you buy a car it has to be as described and fit for purpose. You have the right to reject a faulty car without any offer of repair in the first 30 days. If its older than 30 days and if they CANT fix the fault (had 3 attempts to rectify it) you can in law reject the car. I went through the rejection process with Audi and the dealer I bought it from said I couldn't reject the car, once the ombudsman was involved they put their hands up. The right to reject starts from the first day you reported the issue so don't let them fob you off by saying its been over 3 months blah blah blah. Have a look at the attached link.
Your rights if something is wrong with your car - Money Advice Service

Reactions: auzzam_crd, AdamInKent and Chris4410
I’ve got that passenger door issue too. Thought it was just me. I took it back to Audi a month or two ago and they said there was nothing the could do, just be firmer when closing the door. Drivers side is fine. Have you had yours sorted?

nope I havent, they initially adjusted the hinge (apparently) but told me it will take a while for the seals to bed in.

To be honest I have not taken it back due to the time I would have to take off work. I do know of someone who had the same issue on the back door, Audi changed the door rubbers and it fixed the problem.

Hi all ,

Quick update ,

cheers
Jay

dropped you a message on FB buddy, let's talk.

I know a lot of people going through the same process...