Control centre/MMI broken after brake pad change

Joemc1992

Reaction score
hello,

I’m in desperate need of some help. My a6 (57 plate) went in to have the rear break pads changed and when I got the car back, the whole control centre was broken. It comes up saying that there is a missing component, contact Audi and then shuts off.

Obviously said garage said they didn’t break it and have tried to absolve themselves of all blame but I know they did it - I just don’t know what they did. I know that they broke the motor and had to replace it so my guess would be it’s off the back of that somehow.

I got an auto electrician to run a diagnostic on it but he said it would take really long to figure out exactly where the fault was because it was coming up with so many as something in the circuit has tripped. He did however mention that he looped the amp out of the circuit and the control centre came back on again and was usable - just no media functions. I don’t see how this can be though as it was all working fine before it went in?

I appreciate this is an odd one but I’ll be so grateful for any light anyone may be able to shed on the issue.

Thanks!

The MMI and it’s modules are interconnected via a fibre optic bus. They are connected in series, which means if one of the modules is disconnected (or has no power) then all subsequent modules are effectively disconnected which then disables the system.

I would be checking fuses first, then ensure all the fibres are securely connected to each module. If those are ok, then make sure there are no tight bends on the fibre cable, or kinks which could indicate a break.

Have you been able to scan with VCDS? That should help ID which modules are disconnected.

I don’t see a connection between a rear pad change, and MMI issues, unless the garage didn’t know what they were doing and messed with some VCDS settings to back off the EPB for a pad change.

Reactions: springer
Given they goofed the brake motor, anything is possible with them.

Whereabouts are you located?