Coolant Leak

Asahi

Reaction score
My 2004 Avant 1.9tdi has gradually needed the coolant topped up more frequently to the point now where every few drives the coolant warning light comes on and the expansion tank is empty so I really need to address the cause.

Went for a drive in the hopes to create pressure in the system, I inspected the engine bay and found a possible suspect.

The pictures were taken before the drive but I believe coolant is leaking somewhere out of a pipe/gasket at the back of the engine which I bet is going to be a pain. I'm thinking it's todo with the coolant flange?

I think this may be the replacement part but I am not certain, VAG OE-038 121 144 A

f35qanu.jpg

7yO6vE2.jpg

uprX7yh.jpg

Any help would be most appreciated :icon thumright:

Last edited:
The pink stain shows where the gasket is weeping.Can you tighten the nuts to see if it helps?Seems a strange place but maybe its had work in the past and not joined right

The pink stain shows where the gasket is weeping.Can you tighten the nuts to see if it helps?Seems a strange place but maybe its had work in the past and not joined right

I removed as much as I could to get close to the flange. I reckon the coolant supply hose to the flange is perished around the clip so to save future hassle I will replace the hose & flange. I am unsure on the part numbers though so will have to research.

2Nv0Ar2.jpg

t5pLrbY.jpg

8kvfRSa.jpg