coolant temperature sensor problem.

nu boy

Reaction score
Had a problem with the the CTS recently and went to West london Audi to get on,told the guy the details of my car,bought the sensor the home just the to find out that it was the wrong one,i wanted the blue one and the brain box :banghead: gave me the green one.
On the receipt it says that they dont accept refunds on electrical products but i think it is their fault and i am due a refund or even an exchange for the right one.
Does any one know the reason why their seems to be two different CTS for the same car and if not audi where can i get the blue one to buy.

I think the newer version is the green one. On my 98 1.8t I replaced the blue one for a green one and it runs a whole load better now. If you do a search theres a couple more threads on it.

Hope that helps.

Will.

Sorry slightly off topic but can i ask why your changing the sensor as i have recently had the sensor light come on but after doing a search many people seem to say that slightly overfilling the level works, but no one seems to say where the sensor is in the engine if i wanted to change so was wondering if you could show a pic?

Sorry slightly off topic but can i ask why your changing the sensor as i have recently had the sensor light come on but after doing a search many people seem to say that slightly overfilling the level works, but no one seems to say where the sensor is in the engine if i wanted to change so was wondering if you could show a pic?

There's plenty of threads on the forum about changing the temp sender if you do a search matey, but here's one for you about 3 threads below this one :)

http://audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=54316

k17rpo,

The coolant temp sensor and coolant level sensors are different.

The coolant level sensor is in the coolant bottle itself, my warning went off a couple of times when it was cold. If you look into the bottle to the right hand side you can see 2 metal prongs. I read that if you get a flat bladed screwdriver and try and scrape some of the gunk off (if any) and this may stop the readings. If not top the coolant up and see if it stops. It may be a faulty sensor (common problem) and you will need to replace the coolant bottle.

The temp sensor is under the engine cover on the top coolant pipe leading to the radiator. Its held in by a spring clip underneath the sensor. I replaced this as the car was running a bit rich and reving quite high at idle. It was also the cause of an inaccurate temp gauge reading.

Hope that helps!!

Will.

There's plenty of threads on the forum about changing the temp sender if you do a search matey, but here's one for you about 3 threads below this one :)

http://audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=54316

Thanks for that mate!

k17rpo,

The coolant temp sensor and coolant level sensors are different.

The coolant level sensor is in the coolant bottle itself, my warning went off a couple of times when it was cold. If you look into the bottle to the right hand side you can see 2 metal prongs. I read that if you get a flat bladed screwdriver and try and scrape some of the gunk off (if any) and this may stop the readings. If not top the coolant up and see if it stops. It may be a faulty sensor (common problem) and you will need to replace the coolant bottle.

The temp sensor is under the engine cover on the top coolant pipe leading to the radiator. Its held in by a spring clip underneath the sensor. I replaced this as the car was running a bit rich and reving quite high at idle. It was also the cause of an inaccurate temp gauge reading.

Hope that helps!!

Will.

And thanks for that too will have to give that a go when i can!

The 4 pin green one is a superceeded number from the black one
The 4 pin green is 059 919 501a
The blue one is usuaaly 2 pin blue part number IIRC 06A 919501
The 4 pin one is the one that does the dash guage etc
I hope that helps?
There is sometimes 2 on the engine , may be the wrong one you are looking at under the bonnet
Sarah