Coolant temperature too high! Let engine run with vehicle stationary

Xabi

Reaction score
First post - looking for any knowledge on this error:
"temperature too high! Let engine run with vehicle stationary".

So this pops up on my MMI screen intermittently. very much in spits and spurts with beeps. I can often drive 200 miles and it never happens, and other times it might happen 20 times, blinking up for 1-2 seconds then gone, to reappear again randomly an intermittently.

This is mega frustrating as I am just 1K miles out of warranty. It is a 2015 A3 SE Technick (8V) with 62k miles on it.

This happened almost immediately after a service at Audi, when I took it back with the fault they charged me £60 to tell me the coolant was over filled (which they must have done), to suck some out and give it me back to see how it goes. They said next best shot would be £599 to replace Water Pump and Timing Belt.

So I continue driving it because the radiator fan is behaving normal, the temperature gauge is reading a steady increase as I drive from cold up to a steady rock solid 90 degrees, and all else is fine... Just this annoying beep an warning error intermittently, no pattern at all.

So... feels to me like its an electrical issue or sensor issues. Ive bought a Coolant Sensor from Euro Car Parts (£12) but am damned if I can find where it goes! No engine guide on the interwebs anwywhere, can anyone shed light and will slap this in as first port of call.

I doubt its the thermostat, as the temps look good, and I do a LOT of motorway miles. Water pump maybe? Any thoughts, or has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks!

honestly sounds like a faulty sensor.
my wife's Q5 has similar problem even after replacing the sensor, so it looks like we need another one.
i'd go that route before looking at new water pump or replacing othere more expensive parts.
also get it looked at by a good friendly local garage that does Audi....often cheaper and better
that's my 2 cents :)

Does anyone have a pdf or a clue on where the coolant sensor is on a 8V 1.6 TDI? :S A new sensor is in my hand and cant find it anywhere. My next effort will be to remove the plastics above the radiator and see if its somewhere around there.

Does anyone have a pdf or a clue on where the coolant sensor is on a 8V 1.6 TDI? :S A new sensor is in my hand and cant find it anywhere. My next effort will be to remove the plastics above the radiator and see if its somewhere around there.
Hello Xabi,
I have the same issue as you in an identical car. Did you manage to resolve the intermittent high coolant temperature message?

This is mega frustrating as I am just 1K miles out of warranty. It is a 2015 A3 SE Technick (8V) with 62k miles on it.

This happened almost immediately after a service at Audi,

Was that service done before or after the warranty had finished ?

Looks like the temp sensor is buried on the left of the engine just above the transmission. These screen grabs should help you, good luck in there......

Screenshot 2021 10 22 104406
Screenshot 2021 10 22 104801
Screenshot 2021 10 22 104844

Reactions: ahtcap
First post - looking for any knowledge on this error:
"temperature too high! Let engine run with vehicle stationary".

So this pops up on my MMI screen intermittently. very much in spits and spurts with beeps. I can often drive 200 miles and it never happens, and other times it might happen 20 times, blinking up for 1-2 seconds then gone, to reappear again randomly an intermittently.

This happened almost immediately after a service at Audi, when I took it back with the fault they charged me £60 to tell me the coolant was over filled (which they must have done), to suck some out and give it me back to see how it goes. They said next best shot would be £599 to replace Water Pump and Timing Belt.

So I continue driving it because the radiator fan is behaving normal, the temperature gauge is reading a steady increase as I drive from cold up to a steady rock solid 90 degrees, and all else is fine... Just this annoying beep an warning error intermittently, no pattern at all.

So... feels to me like its an electrical issue or sensor issues. Ive bought a Coolant Sensor from Euro Car Parts (£12) but am damned if I can find where it goes! No engine guide on the interwebs anwywhere, can anyone shed light and will slap this in as first port of call.

I doubt its the thermostat, as the temps look good, and I do a LOT of motorway miles. Water pump maybe? Any thoughts, or has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks!
Hello Xabi,
I have the same issue as you in an identical car. Did you manage to resolve the intermittent high coolant temperature message.