Cooling Fan On Permanent

William McGougan

Reaction score
Hi guys, looking for some insight as to where to look, bothtboth cooling fans come on when engine starts and stay on until I switch engine off, I know it's not the Aircon as my aircon isn't working and needs regassed

Another thing to note is when ignition is on the fans are off, they are only on when engine running, however I'm concerned they will burn out or overheat eventually

Looking like the fans are faulty and need replacing I had to change them on my wife’s A3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking like the fans are faulty and need replacing I had to change them on my wife’s A3

Thank you for the fast reply, I wasn't sure if there were maybe sensor related common issues like built in or external temp sensors to look at, did your wife's car have the same fault as mine?

Fan packs do go, assuming engine temp is per norm.

Regassing, you sure it's not the G65 sensor, these stop aircon if they're faulty & common too.

Yes came home in the car and the fans was on for ages turned the ignition off and the fans would not shut off at all look on you tube but I think it’s a common fault I put a new set of fans in the car and it sorted it I think the internals of the fans short out I paid £160 for a new fan assembly but I think you can buy the fans separate

Thank you for the fast reply, I wasn't sure if there were maybe sensor related common issues like built in or external temp sensors to look at, did your wife's car have the same fault as mine?
There is a fan swtich it could be that has rather than the fan itself cheaper to replace a switch then the whole fan, so i check that first

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Yeah temp is normal, I'm sure as the Aircon pipe had actually been cut, prior to me knowing when I bought it, so I need to fit new pipes then have the system gassed

Keep us posted hope you get it sorted I do think it could be the module that’s built into the fan but yeah the correct procedure would be to change the fan switch first as it’s the cheapest option these ****** Audi’s are problem cars and cost a small fortune I have two of the ****** things

Keep us posted hope you get it sorted I do think it could be the module that’s built into the fan but yeah the correct procedure would be to change the fan switch first as it’s the cheapest option these ****** Audi’s are problem cars and cost a small fortune I have two of the ****** things

Yeah hopefully get it sorted, if it was on while the engine off I would have said relay, but it's only when engine runs, I will try a fan switch and update you guys, thanks for the info, otherwise it's going to be a new fan assembly

Did you manage to sort out the fan situation

The fan controller isn’t that built into the fan ?

I believe so, I'm not sure if it can be changed seperate...so might be a whole new fan pack required

I had to change the lot on my wife’s car I think you can get the fan assembly on e bay for about £30 but I changed the lot for about £150

I had to change the lot on my wife’s car I think you can get the fan assembly on e bay for about £30 but I changed the lot for about £150

Not so bad then, I would prefer to change to whole lot tbh, then I know it's ok

Totally agree

Download the AUTODOC app and have a look on there looks like you can buy the fans separate

When you do get around to fixing the A/C. Fit a new drier as well, the old one will be useless being open to the elements for a long time.

Reactions: William McGougan