Facelift Corrosion

alpesh26

Reaction score
Has anyone had any corrosion on the trim that goes around the windows? I know the trim used to go milky on chrome versions but mine is a black edition so this trim is painted black from factory.

There is a very small patch (I'm being fussy but it's likely that the corrosion will spread) which has bubbled on the trim around the rearmost window. I've attached a pic...although not the best.

The car is MY 2017, do you think Audi would replace/repair this under warranty?

Attachments

• IMG_9218.jpg
    IMG_9218.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 285
Can’t really see the bubbling from your photo but there is a natural join there where the 2 ends of the trim meet.

With such a new car I would assume Audi will at the very least inspect it. So yeah take it to the dealers to check out.

Reactions: alpesh26
Has anyone had any corrosion on the trim that goes around the windows? I know the trim used to go milky on chrome versions but mine is a black edition so this trim is painted black from factory.

There is a very small patch (I'm being fussy but it's likely that the corrosion will spread) which has bubbled on the trim around the rearmost window. I've attached a pic...although not the best.

The car is MY 2017, do you think Audi would replace/repair this under warranty?

I'm guessing the lacquer on the cut end of the trim has broken down. Moisture can get in and the aluminium oxidise and blister.
You have a paint warranty on the car which I hope would also cover the lacquer ontop of the paint. Take it to your local dealer for inspection.

Colin

i'll be a ***** and use your topic simply for the photo you posted, my trim is starting to open on the seam (same spot), any ideas what to glue it with? tried pushing it in in the hopes it will grab a hold of something but no luck.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

My S3 SB trim opened up there, they did both sides under warranty even though only one side was lifting.

Mine has this also, 18 plate black edition.. noticed it the other week!

Not noticed anything on my BE. Will have to give it a check; it looks as though it might be a common issue.

I’ll drop it into Audi on Saturday and see what they say. Hopefully they replace the trim rather than painting it because it will probably come back on a repair. I’ll update once it’s been in

Forgot to update this, but they replaced them under warranty. Now, the rest of the black trims have started to corrode but i'm out of warranty (car is a 2017 model), no damage to the tops (no stone chips) and they're ceramic coated, the corrosion is coming from underneath.

According to the Anti-Perforation T's & C's:

"Your new vehicle is manufactured with full protection against rust attacking the internal cavities from the inside to the outside leading to perforation. The anti-perforation warranty lasts for a period of 12 years starting from the date of delivery to the first owner. In the unlikely event of this occurring within the warranty period, your Audi Centre will carry out the required repairs free of charge. The following conditions apply:
● The defect must be reported to an Audi Centre as soon as it is discovered. This must, of course, be within the warranty period.
● The Audi Centre must determine that the perforation has stemmed from within the internal cavities and is the result of a manufacturing defect.
● The perforation must not have been caused originally by external factors such as accident damage, stone chips, industrial fallout or pollution, plant resin, animal pollutants, chemicals or insufficient care or maintenance.

All body repairs will be carried out promptly in accordance with the Manufacturer’s technical guidelines, using only approved parts and materials, in order to maintain the original level of anti corrosion protection"

The problem is, the T's & C's are vague and open to interpretation...i.e. what do Audi deem as the "internal cavity", is it the cavity of the main body or the cavity of the trims etc.

Has anyone had any luck with the 12 year anti-perforation warranty for the trims?