Cost of child care

A3-Lee

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Is it just me or is the cost of putting a child into nursery ridiculously expensive !!!!!

Reactions: audi_partner
LOL...welcome to childcare mate!!

Its always been this way

Hope you are all good mate and the little one...i hear is not so little anymore!!

Childcare has always been expensive Lee, its a money making business. Im sure glad i am past all that. :) x

In my experience, you get what you pay for...

What's more important than the absolute best for the little ones!?

Reactions: Sandra
My little bundle of joy started school in September and I'm over a grand a month better off! My wife and I went on a shopping spree and a weekend away to celebrate :)

Reactions: Sandra and audi_partner
My little bundle of joy started school in September and I'm over a grand a month better off! My wife and I went on a shopping spree and a weekend away to celebrate :)
Can't wait for this!!! Sept 2016!!!! By then the missus will probably be broody and want another!!! And so it'll begin....again lol

Family friend, brilliant with my 2 girls, they both have a great atmosphere and are generally further ahead than other kids we know. £50 a week as much or littl as we want. Friend is a widow mid 50s and idolises my girls. Best deal for everybody!

Yup £30 a day for my little girls child minder, only 3 days a week tf!

The one thing that gets me angry regarding child minders is that they are self employed yet it seems the norm that we should also pay them whilst they are on holiday.

All of the child minders we've been looking at are the same, minimum of 3 weeks paid leave. WTF, a self employed builder wouldn't ask you to pay him whilst he was sitting on the beach would he?

Definitely agree - while I see the reasons for the holiday bit, it is unfair on parents, who already have to pay so much for care.
Nurseries are the same though, but at least you are not dependent on one person.

I did ask one of them why we should pay a self employed person for holidays, also what happens if they are sick and cant look after our child?

Her answer was... you will have to make other arrangements and oh before you ask, yes you still have to pay if I am ill !!!

We just left the premises:undwech:

This is the exact reason why my daughter always went to nursery. The cost is similar, but at least you minimise these "deal with it" moments.

Nursery is the option we went for, it was very expensive however you can see the results and the difference with the children.

I guess its just one of those things you just have to deal with.

Nursery was a tricky one for me and the misses as I am self employed and the misses works part time but luckly we were entitled to a thing called early years funding witch pays for 15 hours of nursery a week and then we pay an extra £60 a week so our little one is in full time its been a grate help but can't wait till September when she will be starting full time school.

I've just visited a couple of nurseries to put my little one on the waiting list! I have to wait to find out if I can have the pleasure of paying the £1000/month fee. It's definitely a chock to the system to work out how much has to be paid for childcare these days.

The more I talk to people about this the more my blood boils, its just legalised theft from parents who want to work full time. Don't know about you guys but I got my annual tax summary letter and it lists how MY hard earned is distributed by the tax man...

The two that stand out to me are

£2686 to welfare
£1440 to education

Ha and what help do I get back for these regarding sending my child to nursery or child minder?

Nothing, Nada, Zilch, Zero, Jack S**t.

My missus will soon be going back to work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week to earn about £25 a day after taxes and paying child minders/nursery fees. It really winds me up, you could earn more than that watching Jeremy Kyle if you know what I mean:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Reactions: Sandra and s3_trev
Me and the missus haven't had little ones yet, but I am not looking forward to this, hopefully grandparents might jump in....:icon thumright: Fingers crossed when the time comes anyway.

Im looking at the main political parties to see if they promise anything on childcare in the run up to the general election in May. But Im not convinced any of them care enough to do anything major about it.